PotterCast 142: British Dogs and Fuzzy Hats!

364

Mar 10, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Episode 142 of PotterCast, our Harry Potter podcast, is now online
with the latest Harry Potter news and discussion along with return of Canon Conundrums. Melissa, Sue, and Frak are at the helm this week discussing Jo’s latest site updates, Helen McCrory filming for “Half-Blood Prince,” Ralph Fiennes not returning as Voldemort in HPB, and tabloid rumors on the internet. Bit-by-Bit is next and takes a closer look at the events after Bill and Fleur’s wedding. Then, Canon Conundrums makes its return asking the question: What house was Umbridge in? After that, our Scribby5 girls let you in on a new essay online about Horcruxes. Melissa, Sue and Frak then talk about the honor two Jingle Spells songs received from the Wizrocklopedia Awards, a OotP Costume Showcase, and Melissa’s participation in the Avon Walk for a Cure for breast cancer. For more information about the walk and sponsorship, you can click here. To listen, just hit the “Play” button on the right side of the page (->), or use iTunes, or direct download.

“British Dogs and Fuzzy Hats!”

- Dan’s dog security woes!
- Hermione shows just how prepared she is for this moment.
-What house was Umbridge in?
- The trio escapes to a café.
- Discussing the Issue 22 essay “The Peasant, the Tramp and Hepzibah Smith: A Horcrux Case Study”
- “Friends” show trivia.
- Melissa is participating in the Avon Walk for a Cure for breast cancer. For sponsorship information can be found at:leakynews.com/melissawalk

RT: 1:09:14

Editors: Jeff Gregory, Samantha McManus, Liz Turney and Andrew Garner

Scribbulus
LeakyCon 2009: A Harry Potter Conference in Boston
Podcast Alley
Digg
Terminus 2008

Direct download (33 MB).
Direct download low-bandwidth (8 MB).

Remember you don’t need an iPod to listen. Listen easily on iTunes, which you can download and install here, by clicking here to listen, or you can just use the streaming Flash player at PotterCast.com or just on the right side of this page. Discussion of the PotterCast is right here. Enjoy!

62 Responses to PotterCast 142: British Dogs and Fuzzy Hats!

Avatar Image says:

yay….........first to comment…......!!! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE POTTERCAST!!!!

Avatar Image says:

“Friends” trivia??! OMG!!!!!!!!!! I’M SO EXCITED FOR THIS ONE!!!! next you should do “Lost” trivia!! :D (I love Friends, Lost, and of course HARRY POTTER!)

Avatar Image says:

it was another great episode!!!! :) keep up the amazing job :)!

Avatar Image says:

Lovin it! BUT I want to express that the reason we all love PC is the unscripted-ness of it. Scribby 5ers: IT IS PAINFULLY OBVIOUS YOU ARE READING OFF SCRIPTS! PLEASE STOP AND GO UNSCRIPTED! It is really annoying and I have decided to stop listening to Scribby5 because of it. Anyways, PC 4 LIFE!

Avatar Image says:

In response to the discussion about Umbridge’s house.

I think we forget sometimes that the Slytherin House itself was not evil. Those in the house are defined by ambition, cunning, craftiness, quickness of mind, etc. I think it’s very easy for Slytherins to “go bad” because these attributes are bad qualities if exaggerated. In my opinion, that’s probably why so many of the “bad guys” come from the Slytherin house. I don’t think that Umbridge came from that house because she is not sly enough. Her motives, in my opinion, do not seem to be ambitious but rather law abiding. Her overall demeanor is straitbacked and rigid. She does not change herself or the rules she lives by in order to gain something, but rather stands strong by those in power, believing those in power to be right.

I agree with the assumption that Umbridge is a Ravenclaw; however, my first impression upon thinking about this matter was that she was a Hufflepuff gone bad. She has a certain sweetness about her; even though it’s false, it’s still there. She has pictures of cats and she loves the color pink. It was very easy for me to see her starting out in the Hufflepuff house as a young lady and through a series of circumstances (Voldemort’s reign and what not) morphing into something twisted.

Upon further reflection, I am more likely to agree with Frak. She is very much rule-oriented, even while following Voldemort. Note that she is placed in a manager’s position over other peolpe, ensuring that the rules are followed. She uses the eye to keep watch for rulebreaking as well. Ravenclaws are by-the-book, smart, intelligent, quickminded, apt, people who are concerned with correctness. I can understand Umbridge’s thinking that she was correct in following the rules, no matter who made them. If anything can be said of Umbridge, it’s that she is a good servant to her employer and to the “law”.

Avatar Image says:

So were the Nazi only following rules.

Avatar Image says:

Um, I officially love Frak.

I need a show with John AND Frak. I think by brain would explode from the awesomeness. By the way, good luck with all your school work and stuff John, I miss ya!!

Great show guys, really interesting discussion about Umbridge’s house, and as funny as ever! :)

Avatar Image says:

I agree, Frak is awesome, and I think that the whole “Sorting Series” of Canon Conundrums will be awesome. However, I’m also definitely with Ian in that the Scribby people need to drop the script. I, too, skip their segment because of how awful it is.

Avatar Image says:

As for Umbridge, she is so a Slytherin. I just ran her character through the best sorting site (http://www.personalitylab.org/tests/ccq_hogwarts.htm), and she came through as Slytherin dominant with a score of 97, second place as Gryffindor with a score of 80, third place with Ravenclaw at 44, and last place Hufflepuff with a score of 12.

Avatar Image says:

Whats the link to the youtube video of the JKR web profile partys? I can’t find it anywhere! Keywords?

Avatar Image says:

Ian, I couldn’t agree more. Scribby5 really, really, really needs to lose the scripts. It greatly detracts from what otherwise could be an excellent segment. However, in its current form, I just skip over that section and move on to the drums.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with most of the above—and I thought I was alone on that one! I’m sorry to the Scribby girls, because I know that they certainly mean well and they have good discussions, but I too have to skip over them. Some people just aren’t meant for radio/podcasts . . . I appreciate their efforts, but they need people who are more listener-friendly.

Avatar Image says:

omg, i’ve been arguing vehmently since well before DH that Umbridge wasn’t a slytherin. i’ve been saying she’s a hufflepuff due to her unrelenting loyalty to the ministry. i kinda backed down on my possition after DH but i still don’t think she’s a Slytherin. my main argument was that if that’s what she thinks qualifies as Slytherin cunning and being underhanded… well quite frankly we don’t want her.

She was an idiot! everyone could see right through her! no one fell for her sugar sweet persona like Lockheart could pull off, her attempt to get Harry to drink veritiserum was truely hufflepuff worthy. we never truely see her make a play for power or try to manipulate or pull strings, she wants to be working for those in power at the ministry and she has her own agenda against non pure bloods but the fact that she wasn’t a death eater i think says alot about her bid for power… which is more to be a follower in the winning camp rather then be someone who actually whields any.

to me, it really does just seem like Slytherin prejudice comming through. i don’t see her as ambitious, i see her as having a passion for her beliefs. i don’t see her as power hungry, i see her as siding with those presently in power. i don’t see her as cunning, i think even Draco could teach her a thing or two about subterfuge.

anyways, all in all, what ever house she’s in… it ain’t Slytherin

Avatar Image says:

Umbridge’s definite desire to manipulate and have her way, not to mention her obvious push for all things pure puts her right with the Slytherin ways. She is a Slytherin, no doubt in my mind.

Avatar Image says:

who did she manipulate? sending out flyers on the evils of half breeds isn’t manipulation, it’s flyering… like you do when protesting house elf enslavement coughhufflepuffcough

and last i checked, just because slytherin doesn’t accept muggleborns, i don’t recall hating them being on the check list the hat sings about.

Avatar Image says:

I think that her manipulating Minister Fudge was manipulation enough. She got him to do what he wanted for her. That among other things should be taken into account that, though completely and utterly malicious, she was quite, quite cunning in how she went about things. She forced/manipulated the students into believing what Harry and Dumbledore had said was a lie even after both had gone through great efforts do prove otherwise. Of course, she wasn’t alone in this, but it just adds to her list. The hat says of Slytherins, “Those cunning folk use any means, / To achieve their ends.” She fared well in that regard, did she not?

Avatar Image says:

She uses rules to enforce her will on others. that’s certainly not ‘good’ and I agree with TML’s post that her worked out well for her. You could tell she did enjoy punishing the students for any infractions. while that alone isn’t ‘evil’ it’s the enjoyment part and the maliciousness on that part that is. As a long time D&D player, I’d set her up as Lawful Evil.

So, now should that set her in Slytherin? Maybe not that alone, but if you notice JKR always mentions people that ARE in that house as sorta slimy creatures of the earth, and she’s clearly described as ‘Toady’.

Avatar Image says:

“JKR always mentions people that ARE in that house as sorta slimy creatures of the earth, and she’s clearly described as ‘Toady’.”

Excellent point, Quickpost. That’s definitive. She’s Slytherin. =-D

Avatar Image says:

I disagree with the opinion that all the bad guys are Slytherins, although I have to admit that JKR created this prejudice herself, because there are NO Slytherins in the books who are entirely good, just like, say, Harry, Ron and Hermione. There are persons like Slughorn and Snape, who can be considered good judging by their actions, but cannot be called nice people. And all other Slytherins are just disgusting, both in their behaviour and in their actions. That is why people tend to think that every evil character in the book must have been a Slytherin :(((

I personally think that Umbridge was a Hufflepuff, for the reasons that Siyrean stated so nicely. She is really loyal to the policy of the Ministry, whatever it is. And loyalty can be a bad quality if it is loyalty to wrong principles… It is naive to think that all Hufflepuffs are good. This is just not true to life, and JKR’s books are very true to life psychologically. So, if Ms. Rowling confirms that Umbrige was a Slytherin, I’d be REALLY disappointed. All bad guys cannot be Slytherins…

Avatar Image says:

I am excited to listen to this. I am really behind on podcasts though – I’m still on “Are YOU Smarter Than John Noe?” Stupid school – taking away my weekly dose of PotterCast – They want to kill my back with all the school books they give me and use up my time. Biznatches.

Avatar Image says:

I gotta disagree with those who are down on the Scribby 5 segment. It’s true that it sounds a little canned, but there’s always a lot of content. I really like this episode especially. And those poor fools who fast-forwarded to the drums – missed all the talk about Lust!!!

Avatar Image says:

Arka, it’s not JKR web party. It’s simply an internet party with a bunch of “sites”. The title is “Internet Party.” I would suggest not watching the last 5 seconds as Melissa said if you are underage.

As for Scribby5, I’d have to agree with the majority. I don’t mind scripting…but I just don’t like it in Scribby5. It’s just way too rehearsed or not rehearsed enough. And I’ll be honest, I don’t really care for essays. Although I had read 1 essay mentioned on Scribby5.

But either way, I am thankful for PC each week and that what counts. As for the Frak and John show, I don’t think the world is ready for that. =D.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I’ve missed Cannon Conundrums so! This episode is going to make work so much more bearable today. :)

Avatar Image says:

Good episode this week, I actually enjoyed listening to the whole thing, even the scripted Scriby 5 this week, because it was a topic and made me want to go read the essay, which is its point, but I do agree they normally are very annoying, but all around very good show. Yay! Sorting Hat series!

Avatar Image says:

Oh and….not all the people who are evil are syltherin…Remember “the world isnt’ split into good people and death eaters” Wormtail was a griffindor, he transformed into a rat, that should have told them something about his character. Crouch…was very law abiding and very strict he used unforgivable curses in order to capture death eaters…so its almost like he wanted to be so good that he was corupted by …the ends justyfies the means type thing…

now as for the toad Umbridge, she used dementors to attack to 15 year old boys, she threatened all hogwarts teachers, and enjoyed torturing students. I do not think these are hufflepuff qualities, unless she too was corrupted by the ends justifies the means, but she was so against the idea that voldemort was back because Fudge didn’t want to beleive it, she is a self preserver…when the regeme changed, she already hated halfbreeds and believed in blood puirity, she wanted to be important and enjoyed giving these people pain, she got to carry out things that would never have been allowed before, her sucking up and willingness to carry out the hearings shows her ability to try to preserve herself. She truely enjoyed the cruelty but she wasn’t a death eater, that doesn’t mean she couldn’t have been slytherin, or that her true nature didn’t come through until later in life. She could have been sorted to soon as dumbledore says can happen, So you have: self preservation =S loyality to who ever is in power=H Order, by the book= R I really don’t see any bravery in here her selfpreservation is rather cowardly, like Wormtail, he was all about self preservation….who knows…

Avatar Image says:

I think Umbridge was not of any house. Home-schooled I would say. We never hear her say “when I was in school” or “in my house”. Wouldn’t some of the professors that have been around a while (Dumbledore, McGonagal) have remembered her and mentioned it (giving Harry & the DA some ammunition). I would hope that Hermione at least would have found something out.

Even though she has a “pure blood” stance, do we really know if she herself is a “pure blood” or not (al la Voldemort). Would her blood have been pure enough to get her into Slytherin? (I think Voldemort’s lust for power overrode his less than pure blood to get him sorted into Slytherin, this also works for Snape, wanting some power to at least control what liitle we have seen of his child hood) But I digress.

Was she really smart enough to be a Ravenclaw? I think she would have found better ways of finding out things instead of using veritaserum.

Brave enough for Gryffindor. No, not with the way she hid behing her position and alliance with the ministry to keep herself out of hot water. And again, I think Dumbledore would have mentioned it.

Hufflepuff – maybe.

Anyway I still say home schooled.

The “pure blood” mania that some of them have was instilled long before they were sorted into Slytherin. On experience with a muggle parent (Voldemort, Snape)and going against them or just following in the footsteps of the prejudiced parents (Draco). Would Draco have been the same if his parents were more like the Weasleys, how about Neville being raised by the Malfoys?

Avatar Image says:

Haven’t listened yet to this Pottercast but:

-in DH didn’t Umbridge buy the locket of Slytherin off of Mundungus because it had an “S” on it, which she mistook for Selwyn?

-When Hermione (in Polyjuice disguise) asks her about her pretty necklace in the courtroom in the Ministry, she answers yes its an heirloom I am related to the Selwyns.

-Were the Selwyns related to the Slytherins or descended from them? I thought they were, which would entail her going into Slytherin in that case, more than likely.

I just remembered all of that; although I really like the “Hufflepuff gone wrong” theory! If anyone can answer about the Selwyns that may help figure this out- and if they talked all about this in the podcast already, sorry to be redundant, I haven’t listened yet!

Avatar Image says:

Hey Everyone, Don’t forget to vote for Pottercast at podcast alley.

And I agree with Nylorac, I can see Umbridge being homeschooled mainly because of her manner of punishment. She saw using the blood quills as a behavior mod not a torture, and that just seems to me like that would be something she learned or happened to her while at home. And as previously mentioned no one ever mentioned what house she was in and it would seem like she would have bragged about it as a banner of honor, but she never did and at some points seemed to be disgusted by the school, not proud to have been there.

umbidge is an idiot

Avatar Image says:

frak has a breakdown about the dogs but who am i to talk i had a breakdown of laughing the entire episode 138 scribby DROP THAT SCRIPT

Avatar Image says:

I took her Selwyn thing as her trying to emphasis something like Snape being the half blood Prince, she by that conversation was trying to say oh by the way look who I am related to, it made me believe that she wasn’t full blood though she was trying to make other people think she was, she was grasping at straws, she wanted to have something that people wouldn’t question, and her being in the position she is in, to avoid questioning, and again preserve herself.

Avatar Image says:

ugh. agreed on the scribby 5 thing. <3 everything else!

Avatar Image says:

I love the part where Melissa accidentally calls Frak “John.” It’s as if they’re her two naughty sons, forever running around the kitchen while she’s trying to make a podcast. :)

Avatar Image says:

Totally agree on the scribby5 thing. They’re easily the most boring thing on the podcast.

I had a breakdown with Frak on the dog thing. That was h i l a r i o u s. I so want to do a Friends trivia quiz with Frak.

Anyone know why this isn’t on i-tunes? I NEED my pottercast :(

Avatar Image says:

I just finished listening to the segment on the dogs. I thought I was going to cry with laughter. Frak, those are Beefeater hats that you were talking about.

Avatar Image says:

I have to agree that this was amazing~

I also agree one of the things that makes it great is it’s unscriptedness, and I concur that Scribby 5 is painfully obvious that they are. It’s fine to have notes to show what direction you want to be headed in, but loosen up a little!

Avatar Image says:

If I am not mistaken, green has been used for years in film because it created a more natural looking black on screen. This was especially true in black and white films. Frankenstein in the in the early b/w films was painted green so that details in the face would translate on film. When he was then filmed in color, the creators kept the green make-up. That is where green frankenstein came from. It is rather likely, for especially dark scenes, that they used greens on set and in costuming so that they would translate into rich blacks with natural contrasts and details in the final product. Can someone else back me up? I think this answers why the costumes and marble are green in real but look black to us in the final film. Some of those dark scenes are almost faux black and white anyway. Great discussion. Cheers!

Avatar Image says:

This month’s issue of BOP magazine is supposed to have a Sneak Peek of HBP!

It might just be a small preview of their visit to the set I don’t know.

Avatar Image says:

Yah!!! your talking about Helen as Cissy – thats great!!! shes fabulous and cant wait to see her. my two cents about Umbridge- I hate her more than Voldy, not because she did something worse than Voldy but because she is a narrow-minded evil gargoyle, and a control freak. I agree Slytherin gets its bad reputation from the Death Eaters who have spawned from there, but other good people have come from Slytherin= Snape, Slughorn, Andromeda Black, Regulus Black. Even Gryffendors thanks to Wormtail have a bad egg in there mist- he being the only Gryffendor Death Eater. I find it cool though how each one was named after a founder, has a ghost, an heirloom, and two colors to go with them. and a special spot in the castle.

Avatar Image says:

Listening to Frak laughing started to crack me up. The fuzzy hats are called Busbys btw.

“I took her Selwyn thing as her trying to … say oh by the way look who I am related to, it made me believe that she wasn’t full blood though she was trying to make other people think she was.”

Yes I understood it like that too, but even more, I also assumed that she was lying about the Selwyn connection.

Avatar Image says:

I listened to this last night and I thought that bit with Frak laughing his head off was hilarious. I laughed so hard I cried and then rewinded it 6 times to listen again. So funny!

Avatar Image says:

I love Frak. Can Frak stay even when Janice comes back?

I love Frak too.

And as for Umbridge’s house the fact that she just went along with Fudge’s rule and Voldemort’s rule (possibly) just because they were the ones in power makes me think she’s a Slytherin. It kind of reminds me of Slughorn with his Slug Club, because he made sure to be well connected and had good relations with students who he thought would go far. What Umbridge did is a bit like Slughorn. Except that Slughorn is a nice guy. And by the way, one Selwyn is a Death Eater.

Avatar Image says:

“now as for the toad Umbridge, she used dementors to attack to 15 year old boys, she threatened all hogwarts teachers, and enjoyed torturing students. I do not think these are hufflepuff qualities”

clearly these are Slytherin traits right? ambition and cunning are apparently synonimous with torture and crulty, is that it? no house represents these! you have to go back to the question of motives. why is she doing this. because she’s loyal to Fudge. he claimed Voldemort wasn’t back… so she needed to shut Harry up. he claimed Dumbledore was after his office… so she needed to userpe him from the school. at no point is she surving herself. she’s serving what she believes is right by the ministry.

"she was so against the idea that voldemort was back because Fudge didn’t want to beleive it, she is a self preserver…when the regeme changed, she already hated halfbreeds and believed in blood puirity, she wanted to be important and enjoyed giving these people pain, she got to carry out things that would never have been allowed before, her sucking up and willingness to carry out the hearings shows her ability to try to preserve herself"

that’s not self preservation. we’ve seen nothing to show us that she was opposed to voldemorts return, what we saw was her unwavering loyalty to Fudge. she is sadistic by nature, she hates half breeds, i see no self preservation going on by going along with the new ministry, i see her fully enjoying herself in her eliment. again, causeing pain and discrimination are not sorting criteria.

“I think that her manipulating Minister Fudge was manipulation enough. She got him to do what he wanted for her.”

when did he ever do anything for her? all we ever saw was her desperate attempts to suck up to him, not at all the kind of behavior of someone who has another under their thumb. and though Fudge was never fenatical about his views, Dumbledore even states in canon that Fudge has blatent prejudaces himself… Umbridge was not whispering in his ear to Arthur down at the ministry, or to assume the worst of Hagrid.

“Maybe not that alone, but if you notice JKR always mentions people that ARE in that house as sorta slimy creatures of the earth, and she’s clearly described as ‘Toady’.”

ah yes, it all makes sense now.

Love Frak…. but I miss John too much :P

Avatar Image says:

what a great pottercast!! Loved this one… bit-by-bit was great aswel this week!! Umbridge is definitly a slytherin I mean she tried to use an unforgivable curse on harry and the way she treated muggle borns in DH was showing characteristics of Nazi ss men.. She was an evil toad!

Avatar Image says:

“Umbridge is definitly a slytherin I mean she tried to use an unforgivable curse on harry and the way she treated muggle borns in DH was showing characteristics of Nazi ss men.. She was an evil toad!”

i give up. with an argument like that, i see there is no use in even trying. i only hope some of you have heard of the phrase, self fulfilling prophesy.

sincerly, a disillusioned Slytherin

Avatar Image says:

self preserver, she did horrible things to please Fudge and to be in Fudge’s good graces, that is ambition true but I think that self preservation is a little bit of a partner to ambition, and yes her beliefs were mirrored by the new regime, so she was happy as can be, but the locket made me feel like she was lying so that was a little self preservation, I don’t believe that she actually believed that muggle borns stole magic (I don’t think she is full blood) just as she knew that Harry had to protect himself against dementors. She wanted to make herself look good, she was going to go with whatever the people in charge wanted. Fudge wanted Harry out of the way, and wanted the school to follow certain guide lines, she was going to see that is what happened. The new regime wanted muggle borns and half bloods and Harry gone. That is what she was going to do, but she didn’t have to underhanded in private this time around, she could do all these underhanded things in public. She wants to be well conected. I think she is very much like Slughorn in that nature, she has ambition to stay with whoever is in power. Staying with who ever is in power is a self preservation quality though. That doesn’t mean that she wasn’t at home, because she certainly was. I think that Slughorn isn’t evil just ambitious, but he is Slytherin, I think that Umbridge qualifies as Slytherin because of self preservation and ambition and to make it more perfect she is an evil toad.

Avatar Image says:

If I followed the logic a lot of you are using, I could make a case for Slytherin not being a Slytherin! She’s a Slytherin.

Avatar Image says:

I just finished listening, my God, I was literally CRYING over the fuzzy hats thing. And Frak literally laughing his head off just did NOT help me control my laughter. Gosh, that was GOOD! I’d love an episode with both Frak and John, gosh, it’d be the limit!!

About Umbridge, frankly, I never thought she was at Hogwarts, I don’t know why, but as someone mentioned in the thread before, I thought she was home-schooled. But if she was at Hogwarts, I do think she was a Slytherin. Maybe it’s just that inherent thing we have that all nasty people are Slytherins, even though Wormtail was a glaring exception. But she does want power, and goes wherever the power is. Isn’t that characterisitc of Slytherin? She’s not brave enough for Gryffindor, no, can’t believe that, and nor is she smart. Cunning,yes but not smart. No, not a Ravenclaw. She’s definitely not loyal, considering how in OotP she first shows loyalty to Fudge and keeps going “The Minister feels…” all the time and then in DH she shifts loyalty and totally changes her agenda,which shows she’s ready to do anything to stay in power. I love this Sorting Series, and I’m curious about Trelawney now.

Great work guys!

Avatar Image says:

Siyrean, I agree with you wholeheartedly! It upsets me that Slytherin is synonymous to “evil” and “disgusting” for many people. But I have to repeat what I have already said – JKR created this prejudice herself. Sure, there are evil people in the books who are not Slytherins (Wormtail is the most glaring example, along with some people who are not exactly evil, but act in an unpleasant way or do something evil due to circumstances, like Zacharias Smith (Hufflepuff), or Marietta Edgecombe (Ravenclaw)). But there are no good people in Slytherin! Not a single person who can be called good without a dozen but’s…

OK, JKR tried to make Slytherin as a house more likeable, when Harry tells Albus Severus not to be afraid to be sorted into Slytherin. But this is not enough to make up for all the Death Eaters, or for Slytherins in Harry’s year (who are ALL described as disgusting – how cool is that? o.O), or for Voldemort himself :(((

Avatar Image says:

I totally agree with everything Siyrean had to say. I hate how Slytherins are immediately pigeonholed into this “evil” characterization.

Using an unforgivable curse DOES NOT equal Slytherin. Harry used the Cruciatus and Imperius curses in DH.

Just because she sided with Fudge and the Ministry in OOTP doesn’t mean she was following where the power was and that she’s power hungry. I honestly believe she was doing her job and really wanted to maintain the order imposed by the ministry (what, I believe, is a very Ravenclaw attribute). Obviously, she hates muggleborns and half-breeds and, I guess, that’s what made her really good at what she did, and is why we all hate her.

Didn’t Seamus Finnigan think Harry was a liar because he and his mother believed the Ministry over Harry and Dumbledore? Even though Seamus ended up changing his mind, his mother still hadn’t at that point (remember, he told Harry he was trying to convince his mother), so does that make Seamus’ mother a Slytherin? No, she’s merely a person who accepted whatever the general authority had to say.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, and to add about the actual PotterCast: I was listening to it while during daily commute on the public bus, and I’m 100% positive that my fellow busriders must have thought I was INSANE for having this HUGE grin on my face while listening to Frak’s hilarious laughter. Reminded me a bit of myself, actually ;). I was thisclose to bursting out laughing right there on the bus, hehehe.

Avatar Image says:

I see Umbridge as Slytherin, not because she’s evil and all evil people come from that house but because so many Slytherins have a tendency towards self-preservation. This quality, taken so far as to hurt others to advance/protect oneself, is what leads Slytherins especially towards the path of evil. I see that self-preservation tendency in Umbridge, with her backing up whoever she thinks will win, refusing to risk her neck for loyalty, even to the ministry (definitely not Hufflepuff).

About Ravenclaws, just because they are the “smart” house doesn’t mean they’re by the books. Luna and Xeno prove that, along with the door-nocker on the Ravenclaws’ door which asks questions that don’t have a right or wrong answer and the important thing is having an answer that is “well reasoned.” That doesn’t mean Umbridge couldn’t be Ravenclaw, but I don’t se her by the books thing as a valid reason.

How come no one sees Gryffindore as a possible house? After all, Wormtail was one and he backed whoever he thought would be the winner.

Avatar Image says:

To carlye, yes, you could say they were just following the rules. That’s what historians think, at least of those Germans who were FOLLOWING the Nazi rule. That’s how they got to be so powerful; they had good, law-abiding citizens seeking to abide by the new law. Of course, I’m not in any way condoning that behavior. It’s sad when people forget the purpose of laws and government and simply assume that they are right or assume that nothing can be done. We should all be wary of the kinds of laws our leaders make. “Constant vigilance!”

Thanks to elkmaria, I agree!

Avatar Image says:

Wow! I thought I was the only one that thought the the Scribby-ers needed to drop the script! Sure, they may have some neat info, but its the flow from one person to the other, when the go, “What do you think about that?” “WELL Nicole, I think that…” They always emphasize these words like “Yes” “Well” and “I” that gives away the scriptedness of it. I dont mean to gang up on them or anything, but “Scribby 5” should be changed to “Scripty 5”

Avatar Image says:

Anne and Siyrean have very well-reasoned comments. I agree with them. Also, about the “by the books” thing, I don’t see Luna and Xeno as the norm in the Ravenclaw house, though that is a very valid and logical line of thought. I always saw Ravenclaws as people like Hermione without the boldness and bravery that are Gryffindor qualities. I think Hermione could have fit into the Ravenclaw house just fine. I think that because she is so very well read and studious. Ravenclaws are know for their knowledge as well as their logic and reasoning. I don’t think Umbridge was an idiot; I think she was “book-smart”. Perhaps she wasn’t very good at applying her knowlege; that doesn’t mean that she was stupid. Nor does it automatically disqualify her from being in the Ravenclaw house.

By the way, I don’t think that Umbridge had to be a Ravenclaw. I think that she is more likely a Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff (my first impression) than anything else, but she could certainly fit into any house. I do think it would be a shame if she were just another Slytherin bad guy. Her character would be so much richer if she weren’t. I’m also glad that JKR didn’t detail every single character. I like being able to dicuss the details with others and then make up my own mind. Thanks for the stimulating discussion guys!

Avatar Image says:

Ok, for all the nay sayers, answer me this, how would a Hufflepuff that had a pure blood agenda act in the same situation?

How would a Ravenclaw act? or a Gryffindor? and don’t tell me they simply wouldn’t be pureblood biased, we have proof otherwise. So honestly, just think about it, how would a prejudaced Hufflepuff/Ravenclaw/Gryfindor act?

Avatar Image says:

I dis agree. I think Umbridge did come from Slytherin. She does change rules and cheat. Remember-she let loose the dementors on Harry, then acted as though she didn’t.

Avatar Image says:

I LOVE FRAK.. hahah he makes me want to laugh when i hear his laugh!

Avatar Image says: I think Umbridge was in Slytherin. She manipultates to get her way. Also, she wears the locket, and isn't it Slytherins? Why would a Ravenclaw wear a Slytherin locket? Plus, she tries to get rid of Muggleborns, isn't it pretty much just Slytherins that care about blood status?

Write a Reply or Comment