Actor Jim Broadbent Talks Role as Professor Slughorn

114

Apr 15, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Actor Jim Broadbent has given a new interview where he briefly discusses his role as Professor Slughorn in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. As seen in the Metro, Jim Broadbent says he has not read all the Harry Potter books, but has read the sixth book in the series. He noted “I’m not a massive fan, no, it’s not really part of my generation. But I had read the first one and seen the films. I caught up with the sixth one, which I’m in. But I have to admit I haven’t read them all.”

Of his role in the upcoming sixth Harry Potter film, he indicated he is enjoying taking on the role of the new Potions Master at Hogwarts as he stated: “It’s going great. I play Horace Slughorn. He’s a retired teacher brought out of retirement and drawn back into Hogwarts to tell his tale. He’s got a secret that they want to get out of him.”

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince continues production in England, and will be released in theaters November 21, 2008.

21 Responses to Actor Jim Broadbent Talks Role as Professor Slughorn

Avatar Image says:

Naughty fella, not reading all the HP books ;) Nevermind, he certainly does fit the part of Slughorn though. And I bet his kids/grandkids are proud.

Avatar Image says:

Reading the 6th book is good enough for me, I don’t think reading much else really informs on his character specifically.

Avatar Image says:

Well, at least her read the book he’S actually in ;)

Avatar Image says:

He can get away with not reading the others. Horace comes into the story in HBP. So there is no sort of background knowledge required from the other 5 books before it.

Avatar Image says:

Professor Slughorn, because we can, can, can!!!

(Sorry, I couldn’t help myself. I just listened to the Pottercast yesterday where they play that song from Moulin Rouge everytime they say Professor Slughorn.I think it’s 118…)

Anyway, I agree with Neil. There’s really no backstory to catch up on that is not in book 6. But I hope that he reads DH before they film that… although, he only has like 2 lines I suppose… I hope they don’t cut him out, cuz I seriously love ol’ Sluggy. haha.

Avatar Image says:

He better read it twice…as far as I am concerned it took Dumbledore (Gambon) three movies to come around after taking them lightly.

Avatar Image says:

From what he said in the interview about his character (came back cause D.D. wants his secret but he doesn’t want to give it up) makes me happy cause it looks like he does know what sluggy is about. good job on reading the book so you know whats supposed to happen!

Avatar Image says:

Don’t worry guys! Jim is a great actor and he’s perfect for Slughorn!

@and kendyl-I love Moulin Rouge! And Jim is great there as Harold! He has an amazing voice!

Avatar Image says:

Yay i can’t wait to see all these Pensieve flashbacks. Once again amazing casting, there is NO ONE more suited for Slughorn

Avatar Image says:

I think Jim Broadbent is a WONDERFUL actor.

I loved him in “Moulin Rouge” and “Longford”. Two very different roles. He played them beautifully.

Avatar Image says:

OH so THAT’s who Jim Broadbent is. I only remember seeing him in Hot Fuzz. Doesn’t seem to look like I think Slughorn would, but we’ll see how he does with the role.

Avatar Image says:

Sorry Jim, Harry Potter crosses generations. Age has nothing to do with Harry Potter fandom. I wonder that he doesn’t know that. :/

Avatar Image says:

At least he read the sixth one…good for him!

Avatar Image says:

CarolynJ: A lot of people don’t realize that the books are being read by all generations. And you have to admit, although the fandom has a lot of readers in that age group… it is, for a large part, people who were under the age of eighteen as of 1999, or who had kids that were. At least he didn’t say “children’s books”, since TDH is hardly for seven year olds, though I do consider it young adult literature. Just not that young.

Avatar Image says:

i agree he can get away with not reading 1-5 but she should also read DH as his character is in it as well ! and seeing as they are splitting it into to movies the oddsof him not being inthe second part of the DH movies is not existant!

Avatar Image says:

XD my bad sorry about the triple post

Avatar Image says:

SecretSecret. Jim’s got a secret.

Any roboto fans out there?

I think he might do a better job in the role if 6 & 1 are all he’s read. Adds to his naive characterization. Slughorn always seemed kind of clueless as to what’s happening around him at Hogwarts.

WOO ! :)

Avatar Image says:

Oh, go and read the books already!

Avatar Image says:

I sure hope he reads the books before movie 7… Otherwise a lot of it just won’t make sense, particularly the stuff from book 5 that didn’t make it to the movie…

Avatar Image says:

I don´t think it really matters if he read the books or not. He’s a great actor; as long as he has a good script he’ll do fine! I can’t find anyone better for Slughorn’s role… He was really funny as Bridget Jones’ father… Yay Mr. Jones!

Write a Reply or Comment