Emma Watson Meets Napoleon?

284

Apr 18, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There is news today regarding a possible new role today for actress Emma Watson. The Hollywood Reporter has a new article online this morning saying the actress is due to appear in the movie “Napoleon and Betsy,” where Emma will play the part of “Betsy Balcombe, a young, impetuous noblewoman trapped on the isolated British Isle of St. Helena who falls in love with Napoleon, who is in exile on the island.” The trade paper says that Emma is taking over for actress Scarlett Johansson, who stepped aside as the part skewed younger,” however Johansson will still remain aboard the project as producer of the film.

The report notes that Emma Watson, who is currently filming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and will return again as Hermione Granger for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows films will film this new role in between Potter films in the fall of this year. There is no word on additional cast members for Napoleon and Betsy, but the paper indicates this film is to be written and directed by Benjamin Ross. We are working to obtain additional confirmation about this new project for Emma Watson, and will update when we can.

Thanks Andy.

87 Responses to Emma Watson Meets Napoleon?

Avatar Image says:

If it’s true, that’s great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Reuters also have the story, and they are pretty reliable. If it’s true, then good for her!

Avatar Image says:

Go, Emma! I’d love to see her in yet another role. I loved Ballet Shoes, I thought she was great—real emotion, excellent acting, and look ing unbelievably beautiful, especially when she was made up for the movie scene. She looked like a little Marilyn Monroe. Well, here’s hoping!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I hope it’s true! Good for Emma! I can’t wait.

Avatar Image says:

Sweet! Can’t wait to see it. I also loved her in Ballet Shoes :)

Avatar Image says:

I hope it’s true, cause Emma would be perfect! I read the book, and it was great. She was awesome in Ballet Shoes, and here is another chance to prove that she can do different roles.

Avatar Image says:

This is awesome! So that means that we would probably see her in some love scenes?! That would be fun to watch. I liked Ballet shoes too! I hope this is true! Who plays Napoleon?!

Avatar Image says:

Good for her! Soooo she’ll be playing someone her age or a tad older?

Cool! i hope it’s true.

Avatar Image says:

Hey guys, I just realized this is based on the book “Betsy and the emperor” facepalm But in the novell she falls in love with an English officer, not Napoleon. She befriends Napoleon (which seems more logical considering Betsy has just finished school and old General Bonaparte is, well, old). Are they going for a new angle or something?

Avatar Image says:

Wasn’t Betsy meant to be about 14? I’m surprised Scarlett was ever cast in the role, but I’m also surprised that Emma is, though I suppose to cast a 14 year old in a sexual role nowadays would be suspect, so Emma’s a better bet!

Anyway good for Emma. She’s going to be busy with that and Tales of Despereux.

Avatar Image says:

Even though her official site hasn’t been updated with this news yet, Reuters UK and Empire Online now has the story, which gives it A LOT more credibility than if it was just tabloids and online gossip sites. If it is true, then GOOD LUCK to Emma and I hope it helps her to improve as an actress. The only way she can get better is if she takes varied roles frequently and works with different people. St Helena is a beautiful island off the west coast of Africa and it’s still a British colony so it the culture will be a mixture of British with a slight Africa feel to it.

Avatar Image says:

I think it was based on a novel called “The Last Love”.

Avatar Image says:

Fantastic! I hope it’s true! I’d love to see her really stretch and grow. Now, Rupert just needs to decide on a project (apparently he’s considering parts) and the trio will all be busy! I just hope this doesn’t mean less promotional press for HBP.

Avatar Image says:

^ Agree about Rupert but he tends to prefer light-hearted or comedy roles so perhaps it’s harder for him to find suitable roles in the space of time they have between HP films. HBP will do fine but it’s what Tolkein would call “the deep breath before the plunge” so it doesn’t need to have as much fanfair around it as the last films for HPDH.

Avatar Image says:

If it’s true, that’s great very good

Avatar Image says:

I saw Emma in “Ballet Shoes” too and thought she was great.

If this is true, GOOD for her!

Avatar Image says:

^ In Ballet Shoes Pauline plays King Charles II’s sister Henrietta, not Napolean’s sister. I honestly think there are two main reasons why Emma has been chosen for this: 1. She’s VERY marketable because of her HP connection. 2. She’s a W.I.P – a work in progress. She’s not the finished article so directors can mould her and teach her lots. Lots of directors like the challenge of being able to work with a young actor whom they can coach along the way.

So all-in-all this is a very good project for Emma and I hope she signs the contract and does this.

Avatar Image says:

@Anne is confused What do you mean by “sexual role”?

Avatar Image says:

Sorry. In the last sentence the “is confused” should have been between asteriscs.

Avatar Image says:

Good luck Emma, you are brilliam

Avatar Image says:

emma-watson.net is also reporting that she will be in a historical travelogue on Sunday, on ITV if I remember right. I think in it, she reads from an old diary. And of course she also has the Tale of Despereaux coming up, so her management is clearly starting to make some moves. I imagine they want to start simply with fairly “doable” things, because she is quite determined to go to university, so they will have to work her films and so forth around that. But it can be done—that’s exactly what Natalie Portman did while she was at Harvard.

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone know when is Tale of Desperaux coming out?

Despereaux will be released on December 19, according to IMDB

Avatar Image says:

@Zee, oops a bad memory lapse there :/

@Anonimous, it’s something I read in the Guardian about speculation as to what angle Ross is planning with the storyline, with Scarlett being quite a sex symbol, but he was probably teasing people to raise interest in it and it’s probably a perfectly proper historical drama. He’s done some good stuff on TV I think. But you just never know these days, considering what they did with The Other Boleyn Girl and Tudors. They don’t always think the facts are good enough.

Avatar Image says:

It is fantastic to see Emma pursuing such interesting projects! I can’t wait to hear more word about this.

Avatar Image says:

Melvyn Bragg’s Travels in Written Britain, which begins on ITV on Sunday 10.45pm, a four parter. It looks really good actually. He goes round the country and extracts of stories relating to the areas, either literary or historical, are read out by various celebrities including Stephen Fry, Tracey Emin, Simon Russell Beale. The publicity doesn’t mention Emma but it’s likely as some of the diarists were young.

Avatar Image says:

Damn, it looks like it’s part 3 already on Sunday!

Avatar Image says:

Emma taking over Scarlett Johanson?? O_O I don’t see it happening… There’s a very big age gap between the two of them

Avatar Image says:

Melvyn Bragg’s Travels in Written Britain, following on from my previous post and Judy’s, Emma is listed as one of the contributors on ITV’s programme description for this Sunday’s episode covering the Midlands.

Avatar Image says:

as is Richard Griffiths, sorry for the multiple posts!

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!! that’s a huge role!! good for her!!

Avatar Image says:

BonnieRadcliffe, it’s happening whether you like it or not. It’s now in reputable news sources. Emma’s taken over from Scarlett Johanssen because Scarlett’s a bit too old for the role (even though they’ve adapted the story a bit so that the character can be a bit older).

Avatar Image says:

Napolean was exiled to St Helena when he was 46. I sure hope Emma doesn’‘t have to do any sort of love scenes with a man old enough to be her father. Ick.

But as we have seen with much of the historical fiction flicks that have been coming out lately, they may take a bit of artistic license of cast a younger Napolean.

Congrats to Emma. I look forward to seeing her branch out beyond HP.

Avatar Image says:

I hope this role gives her some experience with love scenes. I was watching the cast interviews on the GoF DVD the other evening and she was having a fit about having to kiss someone on screen. She needs to get some snogging experience before her big kiss with Rupert in DH.

Avatar Image says:

This is amazing!! I can’t wait to see more information coming soon!!

Avatar Image says:

GOOD! FOR! EMMA! This is great! A chance to take a leading role outside Harry Potter. I know she can do it. She’s worked very hard, and she’s been very consistent and I, for one, thought she really shined in Ballet Shoes. She was very convincing and her emotional crying scene in the bathroom was the most explosive thing I’ve seen come from her, and it was really good! Different kinds of directors will make a big difference. She is really, really smart and she’ll get the idea in a hurry. You can sort of imagine what she’ll be like from Ballet Shoes, where she did the audition in period costume. She’s so pretty….she’ll go great. Can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

dammit i wanted to see Rupert be her first on screen kiss

@ Kiwi MC,

If the DH movie is true to the book, Dan will be Emma’s first on-screen kiss. Riddle-Harry and Riddle-Hermione kiss before the real Hermione and Ron. But considering what we’ve seen in the first 5 films, the Riddle kiss may not be there at all.

Avatar Image says:

I too hope this is true. It’ll be a great opportunity for her to make a more serious impression on the film world. And of course she will be great as she was in Ballet Shoes.

If true it is kind of funny that they chose Emma because she’s younger than Scarlett and would apparently look more like a 14 year-old. But on the other hand you have all these media reports (which I think are silly) wondering whether Emma (and Dan and Rupert) would be too old to play a 17-18 year-old when she’s 19. Amazing!!

ww

Avatar Image says:

@radfan, but DH will be 2 parts so more likely to stay closer to the book. Personally i’m glad they left most of the boring stuff out of OoTP, it was the best so far. As to Emma’s new role, good luck to her, but her acting really needs to improve. And i hope she doesn’t do that panting thing.

Avatar Image says:

@Radfan-I totally agree. But as we have 2parts of DH-I hope we’ll see Harry/Hermione kiss too. I just hope that they wont computerize it.It has to be Dan and Emma! But I am sooo looking forward to Ron/Hermione kiss. I hope its going to be very energetic,and not so stupid like Harry/Cho!

Avatar Image says:

@matea, did you even read Ootp? Wouldn’t it have been inappropriate to have an “energetic” kiss (Cedric’s death etc). What an immature comment. And Fred dies right after R/Hr kiss, so the energy will be short lived.

Avatar Image says:

I would LOVE to see Emma in a period film. I always thought she had an old world charm about her. This is great news if it’s true.

Avatar Image says:

Cool. I’d like to see her in another film. Ballet Shoes was good…

Avatar Image says:

Great news! I’m glad she’s getting the time and opportunity to do some other roles now. Several actresses have attended great universities and have successful careers, and I imagine she will ,too. She clearly has interests other than acting, and I think that’s why she never comes across as over eager, or desperate to succeed. Good for her.I think given the chance to branch out, she’ll really be able to put her talents to use. Can’t wait to see her in this!

Avatar Image says:

They need to put Emma in some tarty outfit when they do the evil h/hr kiss lol! and Dan in some , i dunno, handsome rich boy outfit befitting Ron’s worst nightmares! I would kill to see that lol. As for Emma being in a period piece, it’s a lot easier than seeing some bleached california girl in a role like that. Can’t see Cameron diaz doing well in something like that. Should be verryy interesting! I hope Dan gets to do something else inbetween. I’m evil/ selfish. He should travel the world after he finishes movie 6.

Avatar Image says:

@weasleywarrior…emma is not 19…she is 18…she just turned 18 this past week…

With that said. Congrats Emma. I cant wait to see the movie!

Avatar Image says:

@miriam-ofcourse I’ve read OOTP-hundred times! I didn’t mean…I didn’t want energetic Harry/Cho kiss…I just think it looked a little bit…lame…they could film it better. No hard feelings? : )We have to enjoy in cute moments 100%,and when it comes something sad we cry…

Avatar Image says:

I hear its a idie cant spell sorry, movie, wat u guys think of that? I tink its good for her! Go Emma!

Avatar Image says:

I wish I could see Emma in Ballet Shoes. It hasn’t played in the US right? I think she will be great in this role though.

Avatar Image says:

Has the role of Napoleon been cast? I can’t find anything other that who’s playing Betsy. At any rate, this is brilliant casting, and I look forward to this movie.

@radcakesfan, you know they’ve GOT to put Emma in a sexy Bellatrix dress because of the disguise earlier. That’d be enough for the evil Harry/Hermione kiss!

Avatar Image says:

DON’T CARE, it sounds like a flop to me. In the US I mean, I don’t know what movies you guys watch in the UK!

Avatar Image says:

GOO EMMA!!!! I can’t wait!!!! HOPE ITS TRUE!!!

Avatar Image says:

I wonder who napoleon. I think this article gives us some hints: As Napoleon was 46-years-old when exiled to St. Helena, they must really be aiming for the “creepy” level. Perhaps Hollywood will re-imagine him as a handsome twenty-something. I’m envisioning James McAvoy, at least for Watson’s sake.

Avatar Image says:

She’ll be wonderful as a noblewoman, she suits the partbetter than Scarlette. I loved her in “Ballet Shoes” too and it’s great to know she’s moving out of the HP mould slowly but surely! I agree about Rupert, he needs to sign a good film now too!

Avatar Image says:

this is going to be terrible. I’m so tired of the young girl being romanced by old men just to fulfil their fantasies. Yuck!

Avatar Image says:

I read two names considered for Napolean but this was back in 2006, and was not finalised; Al Pacino, Ben Kingsley. For Emma’s sake, I would hope Al Pacino as BK, tho a good actor, is meant to be horribly arrogant. I’m not sure how old AP is now; when young he kind of had a look of young Napolean.

KitKat211, actually in the UK we get forced to watch the rubbish churned out by Hollywood just like in the US, never mind what quality UK films are available. We have less opportunity to see good Indies than you do in the US, as our cinemas are clogged up with dross all the time!

I think it depends on what they focus on in this story. A good period drama I would definitely watch but something made up/sexed up along the lines of the Other Boleyn Girl I probably wouldn’t. But then I like history dramas, and for it not to be a ‘flop’ as you call it, it should probably aim to be the latter instead.

Anne-

You’re getting two different films mixed up. Pacino was wanting to make a Napoleon film, The Monster of Longwood. Scarlet even read with him. But then, for reasons unclear, she decided to produce a movie about Betsy and Napoleon. the other film company sued to stop her but lost the legal battle. So that’s why it has taken two yrs thus Scarlet is now deemed too old. I haven’t heard any credible sources say anything about Kingsley. From what I gather, nobody knows who the producers are considering for the male lead. Hopefully, it is somebody with some french background.

BTW, I got all of this off the net, so it may not be entirely accurate.

Avatar Image says:

Kitkat211, if you don’t care what was the point in even posting a comment? And how can a movie that hasn’t even been made yet be a flop? Period dramas are often successful anyway, look at Atonement and Pride & Prejudice in recent years. If you don’t want to watch such a film, fine. But don’t assume no one else will want to watch it.

Avatar Image says:

@Anne: Oh yeah, I know what you mean…that Tudors thingalways stroke me as more of a sexed up soap opera than a period drama.

Let’s hope the movie doesn’t go to far from the plot of the “Betsy and the emperor” book.

Avatar Image says:

okay…hold on just a second. This is a Harry Potter website and I really don’t care about the actors! I don’t even like her! I can comment because I’m entitled to my own opinion! Also Atonement and Pride & Prejudice, DID NOT make much money. Pride & Prejudice did alright, but that it. I don’t even thing either one of these films made it to the top of the box office! Also lets not kid our selfs, this movie isn’t going to be Pride & Prejudice and she is NOT the next Keira Knightley.

Avatar Image says:

Kitkat, do you ever remember all the positive reviews and award nominations that both Atonement and Pride & Prejudice earned? A movie’s box office income does not always reflect on how well the movie did. Look at all the Oscar and Golden Globe nominated movies in the past several years. Few of them were what one would call “box-office gold”.

Avatar Image says:

This was on Yahoo News, too. I’d trust it.

Avatar Image says:

She was excellent in Ballet Shoes, and she’ll be excellent in this. People need to start giving Emma some of the credit she deserves (and has earned) Hermione is a good role but quite constraining because she is a supporting character in what are-at their core-children’s books, even though they are perfectly well readable by adults and have a huge adult audience. I’m only talking about the characterizations. Hermione is one dimensional, a character out of a children’s book series. Keria has done here share of silly movies, as well as very good ones. P. & Prejudice was great, the Pirates series is just plain silly, although fun entertainment for the summer. And Natalie Portman was bored out of her mind in the StarWars series, in a role that was painfully poor, and directed by George Lucas, who’s ego is such that he thinks he can direct, which is just laughable. So, my main point.—Emma is doing what other actresses and actors do, both popular and less popular, etc. She’ll do just fine.

Avatar Image says:

@ kitkat211 , well at least you’ve finally realised that your’e stating opinon and not fact.

Atonement and Pride& Prejudice were both Oscar-nominated, and both won various other wards – other PERIOD/COSTUME DRAMAS include Sense & Sensibility, the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Gosford Park, Gangs of New York, Brokeback Mountain, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love,...almost too many to name. So period dramas DO work and people DO watch them. But if you don’t like them then no one is forcing you to watch them.

ONE LAST THING, the USA isn’t the only country with a box office. You seem to be assuming that a film is only important if Americans like it. The world is bigger than that.

Avatar Image says:

happy news:)but if al pacino play napoleon im sorry for emma.because al pacino is a master.emma’ acting fail.

Avatar Image says:

There is a huge following for the romance/period drama genre. That’s why they continue to make these kinds of movies. Plus people need to remember the time period we are dealing with here. Young teenagers married very early. It wasn’t uncommon to be maried and pregnant by 16 yrs of age. Life expectancy was shorter, etc. Life wasn’t easy. So it wasn’t looked down on for an older man to marry a younger girl. He could offer her much more than a younger man could in terms of financial stablility. from what I’ve read there is a question by most historians about the “closeness” of their relationship. Some feel it wasn’t sexual/romantic in any way. Others feel differently. Since she didn’t write about it, which she wouldn’t, no one will ever know. So even if the film makers entertain the possbility, show the emotional connection between them, the tension will make the movie worth seeing for many people.

Avatar Image says:

I hope that this director tells Emma about her “little” eyebrow problem.

Avatar Image says:

@Matter, I think the real Betsy wrote memoirs but I haven’t read them so don’t know what they had in them. But if she said anything revealing I suppose historians wouldn’t be arguing about it :)

I know Al Pacino was originally for the other film but I read that once that one lost out to N&B, they were interested in getting him to do N&B. But whether it got any further I don’t know. In the same article they also said that Ben Kingsley was interested in it. But that was back in 2006 and IMDB is still saying nothing.

Avatar Image says:

It kind of negates the entire point of the story if they make Napoleon young. He’s supposed to be at the end of his life, in his final exile (he escaped the first one, and he’s always trying to escape this one). Betsy hasn’t even put her hair up yet when the book opens and is kind of a tomboy.

It’s more like they learn from each other, he will always like women till he draws his last breath, rather than he is always poaching after young girls. Besides Betsy is very level-headed and manages him admirably. And Napoleon has to be old enough to have acquired a “reputation” let alone have crowned himself Emperor and all the rest of it. Betsy is supposed to provide a contrast between his mistresses and wives. It’s more like they have some interesting conversations than hooking up or anything. Though, he being Napoleon, that does come up at some point.

I’m sure it will be very good. She’ll be good in that role.

Avatar Image says:

I read “Betsy and the Emperor” in seventh grade- there’s nothing sexual about it that I remember- she falls in love with an officer, but nothing happens, she befriends Napoleon after he is exiled to the island where her family lives- I loved the book, if it is true, Emma would do a fabulous job.

aha, cooleo

Avatar Image says:

good for her! she did great in Ballet Shoes, and she will probably be great in this

Avatar Image says:

Yes, Emma’s whole persona, along with her reputation, is squeaky clean. Her management is not going to let her do anything silly that would be out of character. I suspect it will be a real chastity-epic, as we used to call them. Besides, Dan and Rupert deserve the first Emma-kisses, :)

Avatar Image says:

OMG! this is so kool! I love Emma Watson’s acting she’s great! plus Daniel and Rupert already got their fist screen kiss now its Emma’s turn

Avatar Image says:

Just out of interest where did you all read that the film will be based on the novel Betsy and the Emperor as opposed to just a screenplay written from history? In the article I read (admittedly it was just the one but it was quite detailed) it didn’t mention it being based on a novel at all, just written by Benjamin Ross who will also direct it.

Avatar Image says:

Whew! Go Emma! i’m sure she’ll do an awesome job.

@Anne

This story is historical and since there are countless books that have been written about Napolean. I wouldn’t be surprised if this film was based on a book. On imdb.com it says the screenplay was written by Benjamin Ross, but I’m sure he based his story off of one or more books.

Avatar Image says:

“Hermione is one dimensional, a character out of a children’s book series.”

Perhaps you should actually read the HP books and not rely on Emma Watson’s terrible acting and Steve Kloves awful characterisation before saying that. Hermione from the books is not one dimensional at all.

Avatar Image says:

I hope that this director tells Emma about her “little” eyebrow problem.

Not to mention the heavy breathing, the smirking, the shouting…

Avatar Image says:

@celia, yes I know but what I’m asking people is whether they’ve seen an article somewhere that actually mentions it being based on this one particular novel as opposed to any other or the writer’s own research, all of which are possible. The story could end up quite different to this novel if it is not based on it.

Avatar Image says:

Well… I don’t know about this… I guess it’s because I’m such a fan, especially of her character, and of her as an actor…but..

I mean, it’s about a 14 year-old girl having an estranged love affair with Napoleon….

And it’s Hermione – - OUR Hermione!!

I mean, she’s (the character) described as ‘pubescent’ by MTV

Avatar Image says:

oyes emma quisiera saber tu messenger escribeme

Avatar Image says:

@Anne: Okay…I looked it up and the real Betsy wrote a book detailing the events that took place when Napoleon was exiled in St. Helena. But apparently she just talked about how Napoleon liked to play children’s games with her and her family and stuff like that. But the movie is “loosely” based off of the book she wrote, which is called, “To Befriend an Emperor: Betsy Balcombe’s Memoirs of Napoleon on St. Helena.”

Napoleon was 46 years old during this time and Betsy was 13…CREEPY! lol. but there’s a chance they might ‘hollywoodtize” the film and make Napoleon younger and have some hottie, like James McAvoy play him.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’m glad that she’s broadening her horizons. I actually preferred her in Ballet Shoes than as Hermione, I don’t know, as Hermione she does this weird thing with her eyebrows all the time…? Well, good for her!

Avatar Image says:

Is this Napoleon Dynamite sequel or the prequel? I hope Pedro is there too, he’s so funny!

Write a Reply or Comment