Another change in staffing

124

Apr 02, 2008

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

All right, that’s enough – the bogus predictions and news tips were one thing but the drinking on the job just puts her over the edge. We’ve sadly told Sybill she can no longer post news here, but we have escorted her safely back to Hogwarts, where we hear has taken up decoupage and cribbage. We hope you guys had fun having her around!

(PS:

Harry and the Potters are back together.

Dan Radcliffe has been re-convinced to bare all in Equus in September.

Rick Astley has not been cast as Bill or any other Weasley, though we can’t say with certainty that the video bears no resemblance on the forthcoming movie. Under embargo, you know.)

;)

Oh, and we hear it was April Fool’s yesterday? Boy, we sure hope none of you fell for any lame jokes!

63 Responses to Another change in staffing

Avatar Image says:

wow thanks for a great April Fool’s day – I cant believe I got rickrolled by leaky! great joke.

Avatar Image says:

WOW. I CAN’T BELIEVE I BELIEVED ALL OF THAT NEWS!!!! = )

Avatar Image says:

Not meaning to sound like, prissy- I loved this, and was laughing my ass off all day- but did anyone ACTUALLY fall for any of this? I mean, dude!

Avatar Image says:

I love Sybill – I say, keep the old bird around, I have a feeling (as Harry said) we’re all going to need a good laugh…

Avatar Image says:

Well, these April Fools are getting less believable with each one, I haven’t been taken in since LeakyMug. However, this one was also much more entertaining than last year’s! (I mean honestly – last year of uncertianty in HP fnadom AND a followup to LeakyMug, and we get…celebrity gossip journalism?). It’s been fun having Sibyl around, we hope you bring her back someday!

Avatar Image says:

After watching that video i think that the director of Goblet of Fire missed a trick by not having Rick Astley sing at the Yule Ball!

Avatar Image says:

Haha I really enjoyed Sybill and her truly terrible news tips. The people who believed it made it even more enjoyable ;)

Avatar Image says:

I’m going to miss Sybill and her bogus news predictions :-(

Hehe, nice job Leaky!! ;-)

Avatar Image says:

It was nice having Sybill around but I had a feeling she would only last a day.

Avatar Image says:

LOL, I have to congratulate you guys: You were the only ones who managed to Rick-roll me today!

I mean, I knew full well it was going to be a joke when I clicked the link, but I was expecting… I don’t know, some really cheesy, badly acted, and obviously fake HBP trailer that was put together by the Leaky elves or something. But when I saw Rick Astley, I started giggling hysterically, and didn’t stop until it was over.

Avatar Image says:

I feel a little foolish because I knew it was all a joke and yet I still for some reason believed the Equus “story.” All of the other ones I just laughed at but that one I told my husband, “hey, I just read something interesting…” The prank was much more entertaining because each of Tralawney’s predictions popped AFTER the news was posted. That just adds to her awfulness at predicting!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve been reading Leaky news for several years and have always liked your work. However, when I saw the comment: “Boy, we sure hope none of you fell for any lame jokes!” I felt offended, because the word “lame” belongs in the category of derogatory slang. It means something else. It’s not about a “new use of the word”. It certainly isn’t “reclaimed language”. It is not acceptable and disrespectful.

It is especially important because Leaky reaches young audiences—that such an incident does not occur again.

Thank you.

FireFlower

Avatar Image says:

I love April Fools’ Day at Leaky Cauldron.

Avatar Image says:

April’s Fool’s Day at Leaky is one of my fave days of the year. <3 This year was no dissapointment! Love ya Leaky Cauldron, and good luck, Sybill. ;)

:D

Avatar Image says:

Fireflower, sometimes we use slang, especially when joking. “Lame” doesn’t qualify in the same category as “retard” or the much worse f- and n- words for gay people and black people. It’s a word people use and don’t actually mean “crippled,” as opposed to the others; the slang definition has a definition enough apart from the offensive one that it separates the uses.

And, really, we were calling ourselves lame.

I’m sorry you’re offended but we agree to disagree on this one; as I’ve said above it would not be the same instance with other words.

Have a great day.

Avatar Image says:

Really, Melissa? Mugglenet covered my band’s break-up and Leaky didn’t? I am seriously offended. This site needs to return to a real-news format ASAP.

Avatar Image says:

So… am I the only one who was expecting Fireflower to end his/her post with “Haha APRIL FOOL”?

You broke up?

Avatar Image says:

Noooo, bring back Sybil !!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the laughs Leaky (although some people still need to lighten up a bit!) you’ve done Fred & George proud!

Avatar Image says:

LOL! I love April 1st. I always manage to pull off a couple of jokes at my school. First I convinced my students that it was actually March 32nd because of leap year. After they realized I was pulling their leg I then proceded to get our office manager to summons the teacher next door to the office while I volunteered to keep an eye on his students. Then I switched my students for his. When he came back the students were very quiet and busy at work . He was very please with them until he realized it wasn’t HIS class! ; o )

Avatar Image says:

Omg Jutti…that is hysterical! Very, very clever.

Avatar Image says:

I can say that I didnt really get “got” by much today. The Equus story may have been believable had it been a different day… I was just surprised to see how much rickrolling went on, everywhere. Ok actually I got rickrolled once, when I went back to right-click save-as the XKCD comic about rickrolling I posted in Sybil’s news post about the trailer. They disabled the right click and instead had it bring up the youtube video. I was also intrigued by the “new” Gmail ability to send emails to the past…

Avatar Image says:

Awww, I new it was an April fools joke, but it was good fun. I am sad that Sybill is leaving. Couldn’t she make a guest appearance every now and then?

Jutti, that are really good jokes!

Jutti,

That is priceless! Wish we could have seen his reaction!

And TLC, you did F&G proud again this year. Even though I have been prepairing for this day for a while now (I was sure no one would get me) you, a coworker, and another HP site got me at least once. I tip my hat to you!

Jess – You crack me up!

Avatar Image says:

Jutti, that sounds classic! I bet it will go down in your school legendary tales.

Will miss that crazy Sybil and her inner eye…

Avatar Image says:

I really believed the Equus one.

Avatar Image says:

Was awesome while it lasted =]

Avatar Image says:

Awesome Job Leaky :) What a great idea!

I must be the umpteenth person to say this but: I can’t believe I got Rick Rolled!

laugh

And I’m sad that HBP is not a musical after all :) :*(

Radish :)

Avatar Image says:

Thanks for this extremly funny fake news!I laughed so hard…..

Avatar Image says:

Perhaps Sybill could return, just once a year in late December, to give her HP predictions for the year to come?

Avatar Image says:

What in the wide, wide world of Quidditch is “RickRolled”? Well, [ROFLMAO!] I guess I know now. That was fantastic,yesterday, and YES [being completely “honest” and “candid” I was lame enough to fall for it! [STILL laughing] Leaky has now given a whole new meaning to the phrase, “Gotcha!” :D

Avatar Image says:

i completely fell for all of the jokes because i didn’t remember what day it was…....i feel stupid

Avatar Image says:

budb! What a fantastic idea! It would certainly “brighten up” the Holidays! Wadda ya think, Leaky? ROFLMAO! I’d CERTAINLY look forward to it! XD

Avatar Image says:

pretty sure the reason they are less believable is because we, by now, expect this from our fandom…

Avatar Image says:

‘twas a funny one, Leaky, congratulations. See you next year!

Avatar Image says:

“I’m a little (very) disappointed that Leaky didn’t seem to wish Fred and George a happy birthday? I was fairly certain April Fools’ was it, and I thought it very fitting. Shouldn’t we have been celebrating their 30th?”—Posted by Jess on April 02, 2008 @ 04:57 AM

Jess, Fred and George were mentioned as soon as JKR’s site did, that is, late March 31 here in the States.

Avatar Image says:

hahahaha…Leaky rocks! loved the jokes and fun. :D

Avatar Image says:

Sorry to see Sybill go. Leaky could use such a “columnist” among all its news items.

Please reconsider. (I’m serious)

I love cribbage!

Avatar Image says:

LOL! I wish I’d had you for a teacher when I was in school, Jutti! Great Job!

Avatar Image says:

Ha Ha your right Chris A, Newell definetly missed out on a treat there, imagine Ron and Hermione fighting with Never Gonna Give You Up playing in the background! Genius. And yeah Saria I thought that message would end with that too, whoops

Avatar Image says:

Ugh. That lady was HOT mess. Thanks for firing her. Dan’s naked again? ...crap. I thought it was a joke because there’s a specific reason for his nudity (fornication) but hmmm…i dunno if i’m seeing it anymore lol

Oh dear… I fell for them all :P

Avatar Image says:

Haha! My God, Melissa, you have such a great sense of humor! You and John (don’t kill me), and our dear Sue are all so hilarious!! _

Avatar Image says:

Darn. I personally thought Sybill made an excellent addition to the Leaky staff. Oh, well. Her presence was deeply appreciated while it lasted. XD

Avatar Image says:

In case there’s still any interest, out there, it would be great if we [you] could get ‘Rita’, to put in a ‘Me, Myself and I’ column, next year! {Or SHE could do some fantastic “reporting on what’s “hot” and what’s “not” for next year!] Sitll LMAO!! Melissa and crew, you are the best!

I love this site!

Every year I look foward to what’s gonna happen here in the begining of April.

Thank you, Melissa and everyone else from Leaky!

Avatar Image says:

“Oh, and we hear it was April Fool’s yesterday?” Did you really Melissa? :P I love Leaky’s April Fool’s jokes, I always fall for them, at least once I saw Sybill I knew what it was this time. Thanks Melissa and rest of Leaky!

Avatar Image says:

yeah i fell for every single one of them…dead serious….

Avatar Image says:

Oh dear, poor Sybill.. there’s no kind Professor McGonagal here on Leaky to back her up on this one. sigh I can’t believe you, Leaky admins, you have sunk down to Umbridge level! shakes fist angrily in air

I did get a kick out of the jokes this year. Therefore, you are forgiven for voting Sybill off the island. :D

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t expect to get rickrolled with the HBP teaser link… I didn’t expect to see the actual trailer either but…eh, well, got rickrolled for the 1st time in my life by leaky! :D I was laughing today at school just by remembering it…and everyone thought I was weird heeheh. Jutti, that was such a fantastic joke! I’d love to be in that school… and Leaky did wish Fred and George a happy birthday, even before the jokes started. I really do love this fandom xD

Avatar Image says:

Funny! Those posts were really amusing. I didn’t believe them. Who was the “Sybil”?

Avatar Image says:

That was brilliant. Fell for it for about two-and-a-half seconds and then realized, oh, yeah, right….April Fool’s! Thanks, Leaky, for a good strong laugh!

Avatar Image says:

i looked at all of the news articles and i believed some of the first ones when i started looking at them, but then i noticed that there was so many posted on the same day! that was good….THANKS FOR AN AWESOME APRIL FOOL’S DAY!

Avatar Image says:

I did believe the one with Dan being clothed but the others i didn’t fall for!!!

Avatar Image says:

jutti that was funny i wish i was there

Avatar Image says:

Ha-ha nice one her bogas predictions stink as bad asmy unkles feet- & thats BAD! Uknow what she was kinda cool-april fools!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

LOL!! LONG LIVE LEAKY! Melissa – you guys are just the best! Just loved Sybill – and please let her come back from Hogwarts again very soon! Thanks so much for the fantastic April Fool’s!

Have a super day!

Avatar Image says:

im not here much anymore, but even EYE felt like saying something about sybil… the in-character thing was cute, but her headlines told NOTHING of what the artical was about, and neither did the first few lines that show up in the preview. it was really annoying to have to open EACH ONE just to see if its news im interested in. and even then, the whole seer crap took up 90% of what were already short articles. sad she couldnt have just gotten a counceling and a chance to improve her methods before being fired out-right, but whatever needs to be done.

Avatar Image says:

oh…..................... never mind…. HAHA!!

Avatar Image says:

Ok…i fell for ALL the jokes. They were all great though. Great job Leaky.

Write a Reply or Comment