263

Apr 22, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

The nominations for the 2008 Constellation Awards have been announced and have recognized the “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” film and actress Emma Watson for awards. First, Miss Watson was nominated in the category of ‘Best Female Performance in a 2007 Science Fiction Film, TV Movie, or Mini-Series’ for her role as Hermione Granger in the fifth film. The next nomination went to the fifth film for its achievements in costuming in the category of ‘Best Technical Accomplishment in a 2007 Science Fiction Film or Television Production.’ Jany Temime, the costume designer for OotP, received this nomination for the film.

The Constellation Awards recognizes the best science fiction and fantasy films and television productions of the past year with emphasis on contributions from Canadian companies and performers. Voting has now begun and is open to all Canadian citizens or permanent residents, as well as attendees of the Polaris 21 convention or members of the TCON Promotional Society. Complete information as well as the ballot and submission guidelines can be found right here. Voting ends on June 15th and the winners will be announced at the upcoming Polaris 22 convention during the weekend of July 11th, 2008.

Congratulations to Emma and Jany!

134 Responses to “Order of the Phoenix” and Emma Watson Receive Nominations at 2008 Constellation Awards

NICE

I really DO think Emma Watson is underrated by the fans…

Ok, I know she has an eyebrow problem, but c’mon, she’ll grow out of it!!

PRIMEIRO OPS FIRST

Avatar Image says:

That is so cool! Good job guys! I have to say that I don’t think that OotP is science fiction, but that’s okay.

Avatar Image says:

YES! THEY ARE FINALLY RECOGNIZING EMMA! I personally think that Dan gets all the credit and Emma and Rupert aren’t recognized enough.

GO EMMA!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Great Job OOTP, this has got to be a record almost for the most nominations for any HP film so far. Good luck to Emma, she Daniel and Rupert are exceptional actors who are really growing to be great actors. Jany Temime – she deserves an award so badly, the costumes for these movies , ever since she took over after 2, the costumes are phenomenal. Not saying the ones in the first 2 werent but they have just been so pretty. What I wouldnt give to have Bellatrix’s costume, I love it its sooo cool and seductive.

Avatar Image says:

WOOO Go Emma ! You go girl!

Avatar Image says:

The “eyebrow problem” is called Brow Acting. And trust me, as an actor, its not something you go out of—its a bad habit, like biting your fingernails. Emma was just never schooled and trained, and no director seemed to take initiative to stop her brow acting before it became a problem. She’s going to have to work very very hard to train herself out of that.

In spite of this, I think she’s adorable, and I do wish the best for her.

I do think, however, that she and Dan seem to reap all these awards—Rupert is just as deserving, if not more so.

Avatar Image says:

I was trying to say *you GROW out of…

Avatar Image says:

I am glad for her nomination, but what really bothers me is that in any award shows, they always underrate Rupert, i do too think that he is just as deserving as the others, in my opnion more!!! but anyway, (this is not about rup) congrats emma!!

Avatar Image says:

It’s nice to see Emma get all these nominations. I couldn’t understand all the people who said she was horrible in OOP.

@ redreh, I agree with what you say completely. Congrats to OotP! :D

I think that Rupert and Dan should get recognized a lot more though. :( It’s a shame that Rupert is not recognized ENOUGH. He’s a talented actor, and … *sighs. Yeah. :( Maybe he’ll shine through Half-Blood Prince. :D

Avatar Image says:

@ Billy- Wow! Now THAT’S how I feel! redreh’s comment was a little too nice, but yours is how I TRULY feel. :D “to fuel her delusion that she actually has some acting talent….” Exactly. EXACTLY! =)

Avatar Image says:

Ouch, Billy. That’s a bit harsh.

Yay, Emma! Congrats on the nomination!

Avatar Image says:

Emma’s ok…but Rose McGowan in Grindhouse totally pwns the entire category. SHE’S AMAZING! But I do love the costumes! Good luck to Ms. Temime!

Avatar Image says:

I think all the nominations Emma’s gotten are based on popularity rather than talent.

Are we supposed to believe that out of the entire cast this girl is giving the best performance? Lets be realistic, Emma is okay, but her acting is far from exemplary. It’s sad that the people with the most talent are often overlooked in favor of those considered the most popular.

Avatar Image says:

@ Karen, well put. I agree with you. :)

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think Emma is a terrible actress, and yes, she does sometimes get a raw deal from fans, who are harder on her than she really deserves.

On the other hand, I don’t think she even comes close to deserving all the awards and nominations she receives, either. Between her, Dan, and Rupert, I honestly think she’s the least deserving of recognition, and it annoys me a little that she’s getting yet another nomination, while Dan and Rupert go unrecognized once again. She’s just not that good, in my opinion. She needs to overcome her unfortunate tendency to overact, for one thing. And though I think Billy’s comment above was overly harsh, I do have to agree that the Brow Acting really needs to go.

Perhaps this is unfair of me, but I can’t help wondering if her “acting” would recieve so much -undeserved- -unmerited- praise if she wasn’t such a pretty girl.

There, I said it. :p

Avatar Image says:

Ah, Karen beat me to it, and said it much more succinctly than I did. :D

Avatar Image says:

congrats to you both well deserved nominations i hope ya both win

Avatar Image says:

It’s not that Emma is a BAD actress (for the record, I don’t think she is), but I too am bewildered by all the nominations and adulation that keep coming her way, while her co-stars go virtually unnoticed. Huh?

Some have said that Emma is a less impressive actor than both Daniel and Rupert, and I agree. But I would go even further than that and say that I think she’s a less impressive actor than a lot of the kids in supporting roles as well, such as Matthew Lewis, Evanna Lynch, Bonnie Wright, and Katie Leung. Based on the films up to this point I think all of them have outshone Emma when it comes to acting.

Emma (though again, not a BAD actress) has always come across to me as rather phony and over-the-top in the HP films. I used to think that with the right director, with someone who could help her tone down the exaggerated facial expressions and her too-dramatic delivery of lines, she would be a fine actress. Alas, she DID seem to have such a director in OotP, but instead of being phony and over-the-top, she was merely phony and wooden. Sigh.

I still think she has potential, and with an acting coach and a great director, she could be good. But is she at the point right now where her acting truly deserves awards? C’mon. Not even close.

Give those awards to Dan.

Avatar Image says:

Well put, English Ivy. In my opinion, Rupert deserves awards the most, and he gets the least. Actors like Rupert, Matthew Lewis, Evanna, and Bonnie deserve awards far more. I didn’t really like Katie as Cho, I just didn’t get a Cho feel, but she still played the part well.

Emma wasn’t always bad.

She was GREAT in Philosopher’s Stone. GOOD in Chamber of Secrets. ABSOLUTELY BLOODY ABYSMAL in Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire. And LESS ABYSMAL BUT STILL PRETTY BAD in Order of the Phoenix.

If her acting skills are coming full circle, with PoA and GoF being the low point, then perhaps she’s now on an upswing, and by the time we get to the second Deathly Hallows film, she’ll be back to GREAT. Hey, we can all hope and dream, right? LOL.

But in the meantime, yeah, put me in the camp of those who are WTF about her being nominated for her performance in OotP.

Avatar Image says:

As much as I like Emma, I do agree with redreh about her brow acting. It’s detrimental in an acting career.

And, personally, I didn’t see much difference in the quality of her acting in OOTP. The trio all seemed much more ingrained in their roles, but Daniel was the one who gave an outstanding performance. I’m wondering why Evanna hasn’t been given some kind of newcomer award (or maybe I’m just not aware that she already has been given an award). She really brought Luna to life. But, maybe since people are saying she acts like that normally, the people who give out these awards don’t consider it “acting”? Hmm.

Avatar Image says:

Emma was nominated because she has talent, and i agree that she needs more training, BUT considering that she doesnt have a ’’manual’’ or an acting teachers opinion, shes doing PRETTY good! Besides, the people nominating them arent just randomly picking out a name out of a jar :P

What annoys me most is that the wonderful Harry Melling (Dudley) rarely gets praise , not what ive seen anyways. I think hes awsome in his acting! For someone to act like a stupid bully, and make it seem so real without overreacting is great!

We all dislike Dudley right? And if we are actually calling him names under our breaths (or out loud :P ) when we see him in the movie, then hes doing a pretty darn good job !

Oh and the guys playing Crabbe & Goyle too! I mean cmon, they make me want to punch them in the face! :P their acting is so gooood!

Also agree that Rupert should get more recognition. If you see him in the movie and then during interviews, you can totally see the difference of how he is in character and then being himself. Correct me if im wrong, but it seems to me that he somehow is a different person when acting. Almost like he changes personality, which is obvious since hes acting…. lol hope i made sense. If you totally ’’change yourself’’ when acting, then thats got to be saying something how he is as an actor!

Congrats to Emma and Jany ! :D

Avatar Image says:

Libby, you might be on to something there about Evanna, and why she hasn’t been given an award for playing Luna. In fact, that’s pretty much how I feel about her. While I think Evanna is a sweetheart of a girl, and was the most wonderful Luna that ever could have been, I’ve always been hesitant to join with everyone else in praising her to the skies as an actress.

Judging by her interviews, Evanna is very Luna-ish in real life, and so I tend to think that she was more being herself in OotP than actually acting. Not that she wasn’t good, or that she wasn’t acting at all, just that she was in many ways playing herself. It doesn’t seem to have exactly been a stretch for her to play Luna, and so as much as I enjoyed her performance, I hardly think she deserves to be handed an Oscar for it. When I see her nail a role that is the complete and total opposite of her real life personality, then I’ll start lauding her as a great actress. Until then, she was just a really, serendipitously good person to play Luna. :)

(If “serendipitously” isn’t a word, it should be!)

Avatar Image says:

That’s exactly what I think of Rupert! I agree that the “bad guys” deserve awards too! Tom Felton is, in my opinion, great as Draco Malfoy!

Avatar Image says:

Add me to the group of posters who is not, and never has been all that thrilled with Emma’s “acting”. Her overly dramatic delivery of about 97% of her lines is so distracting, especially when she is in scenes with Rupert and Dan, who are waayyyy more natural with their acting. I have to admit, it took a while for Dan to grow on me, but you can definitely see the progression of his talents over the years. Rupert could always play “movie Ron” with his eyes closed and mouth bound :D. I emphasize “movie Ron”, because “book Ron” has never showed up in the films in my opinion. But Emma…..poor Emma usually butchers Hermione for me. But hey ,after the crappy start of the week for her, I don’t mind her having a bit of good news.

Avatar Image says:

Sugarplum: “and I didnt know that was called eyebrow acting :P and yes its a bit much sometimes…but its not something to panic about.”

LOL. I don’t think anyone is “panicking” about it. ;) For me, it’s just that she takes the eyebrow acting to the point where it’s really distracting. Every time she gets those things moving, it takes me right out of the movie, and right out of the illusion that she’s Hermione Granger (as opposed to just an actress pretending to be Hermione). And that’s not good.

In fact, my husband does a slightly unkind, but hilariously accurate, impression of what he calls Emma’s “Eyebrows and Asthma” method of acting, with his brows going all over the place, and panting so hard you’d think he needed to take a puff from his inhaler. I feel mean for laughing about it, but it’s so spot-on I can’t help myself.

Avatar Image says:

Ok, Dan should have been nominated, he was fantastic in Ootp, and carried it. Emma is nice but she is not a good actress, Imelda Staunton as Umbridge or Helena B C as Bellatrix should have got noms instead.

Nubiana said:

But hey ,after the crappy start of the week for her, I don’t mind her having a bit of good news.</>

Oh gosh, I had forgotten about that (assuming we’re talking about the same thing). Now I feel like pond scum for criticizing her acting. Poor girl.

Avatar Image says:

Gah! Sorry, I messed up the italic tags in my last comment. How embarrassing.

Avatar Image says:

Hilarious post, love the “panting” mention. And speaking as an asthmatic, I can tell you that Emma has all of us beat when it comes to the breathless speech. Hopefully she will silence all of us with the next 3 films.

Avatar Image says:

Emma is a highly talented actress, not just a pretty face and I’m so happy for her for this award, I hope she wins!!! As for the brow problem I see nothing wrong with it.

Avatar Image says:

I am just going to come right out and say it, because I cannot hold it in any longer. & Please, to anyone, I do not hate on Emma. I think she’s a great girl! She really is! So please, I am NOT hating on her. Just stating my opinion. =)

Emma is not that much of a great actress when it comes to Hermione. She was okay in Ballet Shoes, actually I thought she was really good. But as Hermione… She’s too over the top in my opinion. It’s so annoying how she raises her eyebrows in every single gosh darn line! Emma receiving a nomination for “Best Female Performance” makes me laugh – it really does. I just think she doesn’t deserve it at all! There are a lot more talented people who are on Harry Potter. Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint for instance? Or Imelda Staunton, who did an AMAZING job as Umbridge?! Actors / actresses like that should be nominated, not people who just have more lines and overexaggerate over the smallest things!

Example for the overexaggerating: In the movie Chamber of Secrets, Harry hears the basilisk for the first time. When he runs down the corridor, he meets Ron and Hermione. He says, “Do you hear that voice?” (Or something like that. He asks a dang question, I know that. :D) And then Emma comes in and says “VOICE? WHAT VOICE?” So overdramatic! I mean, come on! Her tone like that just ticks me off so much that I can’t even watch any of the movies without saying at least five or more comments about her tone of voice, and how many lines she has compared to the oh-so-wonderful Rupert Grint. <3 =)

Example for the too-many-gosh-darn-lines-it-ticks-me-off-so-much: In the scene where Ron and Hermione are first seen in Order of the Phoenix, Emma has a kajillion lines compared to Rupert Grint. I counted! And he had about six words for his first line or something, and Emma had … let’s see … 16+ already?! I swear, if I counted all the lines / words she had in OotP, it would overcome Rupert’s. No wait, how about the main character himself, Daniel Radcliffe’s!

This is why I think Rupert Grint doesn’t get recognized for his amazing acting. He doesn’t have enough lines to show off his talent! It’s always directed to Emma. Emma this, Emma that. Let’s just give Emma Watson some more lines so that the audience all over the world will be annoyed with her flipping eyebrow raising! Like seriously. I’m so SICK of this! She’s not a good actress, she probably never will be in my opinion, she is too overdramatic for Hermione, and her tone sounds like she’s screaming!

Example: In Goblet of Fire, when Mad-Eye Moody introduced the Unforgivable Curses, she says “STOP IT! CAN’T YOU SEE IT’S BOTHER HIM?! STOP IT!” Too big, too overdramatic. And I know what you all are saying, ‘She was supposed to be sad , mad , dramatic , etc.’ But if you watch the WHOLE scene, you’ll see the her face is like crying even when Mad-Eye says “How many Unforgivable Curses are there?” She answers, “Three sir.” very dramatically. What the—-? She’s ALREADY overreacting? So ANNOYING, like seriously.

Avatar Image says:

Geeeesss…do we ALL feel the same way? My son and I have a “standing date” to go see each HP movie (due to the fact that my husband and daughters HATE anything having to do w/HP…crazy?), and after leaving the theater from OOTP my son said, ” What’s the deal w/Emma…how come she’s always panting and out of breath…wow, that is SOOOO annoying!” Actually, I thought her most “natural” acting was in POA. Since then Daniel and Rupert have gotten better (well…more natural)and she’s gone downhill. Did anyone see “Ballet Shoes” ? SAME THING…the heaving breathing and eyebrow thing! In MY opinion…if Daniel could EVER figure out how to “CRY” on screen…he MIGHT be able to win an oscar! (He’d better learn fast, cause he’s gonna have to do ALOT of it when Dumbledore dies and in DH!)

Avatar Image says:

Oops. I mean “STOP IT! CAN’T YOU SEE IT’S BOTHERING HIM?! STOP IT!”

Avatar Image says:

Oh yes, and how she “cries” at the end of the movie for Goblet of Fire when Dumbledore talks about Cedric! MY GOSH! I mean, I know that she is supposed to be sad, but I’ve seen her overreact so many times, I pass it off as another part of her bad acting. It annoys me that she cried because she looked like a total doofus. Sorry Emma. It’s just …. gah.

AND (sighs) when she says “Everything’s going to change now isn’t it?” She looked like she was humping the wall or something! She kept on teetering on the balls of her feet and being sad/happy/whatever; like really, does she NEED to look like she’s humping a dang pole?

Avatar Image says:

Wow, you guys are so over-analytical. Life better throw you some excitement pretty soon.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with Miriam that Helena should have got an award or someone else who I think that has long been over due for an award is the Brilliant Alan Rickman as Snape. Something tells me his time might be coming in the Half – Blood Prince movie – Cause who is that again ( hint hint )

@ Jennifer: Ha! Touche.

But remember, you’re sitting here, on a perfectly lovely evening, reading our overly analytical comments. Sounds to me like life might need to throw you some excitement as well. You know, people in glass houses, and all that. ;)

Avatar Image says:

I know there are a lot of jealous people around who take every opportunity to vent their own inadequacies; in this case at Emma Watson. I think it goes with the territory, so EW had better get used to it.

If we are going to be analytical then I think there are three points being mixed together here and these need to be considered separately:

1. Why does EW keep getting nominated for awards?

2. Is EW a good actrice?

3. Do you like the way the filmmakers have decided to portray Hermione?

With regard to 1.); I agree that the number of awards EW is nominated for bears little or no relation to the performance that she gives; as others have noted there are a lot of other performances that are equal or better. Therefore I suspect that popularity is driving this.

Please bear in mind that EW may well feel that she does not deserve these nominations for all we know. EW does not put herself forward for these awards and if she ‘happens to ‘win’ then it would be very rude of her not to accept awards gratiously.

As for 2.); I think time will tell. Her performance in Ballet Shoes was strong and memorable, as were the performances of the other two Fossil sisters. I think EW has tremendous potential, however I have no idea if this will ever be fully realised. That said, my bet is that those who say that she cannot act will appear somewhat foolish in the fullness of time.

Point 3.) A lot of people do not like the way that Hermione is being interpreted. Here everyone’s opinion carries equal weight. The choice is yours: love it, hate it or be indifferent.

However I want to add that there are those who conveniently ‘forget’ that book Hermione is very earnest, very emotional, a bit of a bore and, because of her insecurities, tries a bit too hard to impress everyone with her admitedly very real academic abilities. She is also very kind, compassionate and loyal. Hermione stands up for the underdog; her heart is in the right place. These qualities are the one’s that I think the filmmakers are trying to convey.

To me Hermione is not supposed to be easy to like; others seem to forget this and blame the actress.

Avatar Image says:

Had to throw in my two cents again as an actor, because, you know, I’m proud of that _

Seriously though-you guys are brilliant, and I can’t thank you enough for typing and reading all of this-I feel sooo vindicated. For the longest time, I’ve felt like I’m the only one bothered by her acting. I’m so glad I’m not alone.

I feel like I’m being too nice… the truth is…. I DESPISE her acting—Oh, it feels good to say it.

And Evanna SO DESERVES something. And just to add to how deserving she is: whether or not the character of Luna is like her own personality, it is entirely something else to be able to say lines as if in conversation, normally, without airs, aka, to act. The fact that Evanna is charming and true (depite her character’s similarities to herself) does make her fantastic, and undoubtedly (or I should say, probably) the best actress within the youth (that we’ve been allowed to see so far). I have seen plenty of actors go up on stage a butcher a character that is, for all intents and purposes, just like them. She’s so adorable and fantastic, yay Evanna.

And I also have to add something about Emma’s panting. (YAY I’m SO GLAD you guys noticed!!) This is, I believe, the by-product of her attempting NOT to Brow Act, which does give me some hope that she’s on the road to improvement. The panting is generally a sign of misdirected energy. I don’t think she has good control over her movement in general, and so her focusing so hard on NOT brow-acting is probably one thing pushing the panting onward. But we’ll see if she can overcome this.

The poor dear. If you watch Goblet of Fire closely (which I hate to do. Quite seriously, the worst acting, directing, and writing of the whole of the films, imho) you can see the makeup creases on her brow from take after take of brow acting. Its especially noticeable on the train.

And, once again, I feel I must follow this with: She’s not being HATED on here. We’re just viewing the situation honestly: She may be cute and adorable and sweet, but she is NOT an actress.

I just hope that she can get there… she needs time off in intensive coaching and dance classes to help organize her… and then, I think maybe, we could get something.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t you just love it when every criticism of darling Emma gets her fans squawking that everyone is just ZOMG JEALOUS!

Look, Emma seems like a nice girl. I’ve nothing to say against her as a person. But she’s not a good actress. At least, she isn’t at the moment. She still needs a lot of improvement. Sorry, but she does. Waggling her eyebrows, breathing heavily, and delivering every line in a shrill, high-pitched voice is not good acting.

Love Emma if you like, praise her as an actress if you like. But others are allowed to disagree; others are allowed to think she lacks talent. To write off every criticism of your idol Emma as jealousy, is to unfairly devalue the opinions’ of others, and to turn a blind eye to Emma’s very real weaknesses as an actress.

Comment to SeaJay:

This is not an inadequacy thing. I am an actor. I intend to BE on professionally. I study acting at college, and make it my business to know what I’m talking about. That being said, I don’t think its foolish for us to say what we feel. Can Emma improve? OF COURSE SHE CAN. And we all want her to!

The awards things, are, honestly, usually popularity bits and voted on by the public. And, knowing how rampant we Potter fans are, if we know a Potter actor is up, we’re going to show up and vote, that’s usually just the way it is. For those she wins on her own merit, congratulations. I simply do not agree. I will not allow an award to dictate to me what is good acting.

And no, I don’t like the way the film portrays Hermione. But Emma’s acting does not help.

That being said, I respect your opinion, but feel I must clarify mine (and other’s).

Avatar Image says:

@ Seajay: With respect, there is a big difference between playing a character who is not especially likeable, and simply giving a bad performance.

Case in point: Tom Felton plays an unlikeable character in Draco Malfoy, but he is not annoying in his performance, because he portrays Draco naturally. He doesn’t overact. He doesn’t use exaggerated facial expressions. He doesn’t deliver every line in the same melodramatic manner. He doesn’t, ahem, rely too heavily on his eyebrows. He is unlikeable in the HP films, imo, but that’s okay, because he’s playing an unlikeable character, and he does it well.

Emma does not do this. She simply gives a bad performance. Others have already elaborated on where she goes wrong, so I won’t bother to repeat it all. But yeah, she’s… not good.

I truly hope she gets better, though. If she’s wonderful in HBP, I will happily come back here and eat crow. :D

@ redreh: We’ll just have to disagree on Evanna. I still say that at this point, she’s proven that she’s a great Luna, but not that she’s a great actress. I’d like to see her playing at least one other character, preferably one very different from Luna, before I start proclaiming her the next Meryl Streep or Cate Blanchett. ;)

ALSO:

(haha, sorry to comment on EVERYTHING, but)

To add a note to my “misdirected energy” bit: The panting is also a sign of being aware of one’s performance, aka, how one is being perceived at that moment. She doesn’t allow herself to get INTO the moment, rather, it seems that she’s getting into the idea of how that moment should look, how SHE should look in that moment. Not the truth of it.

AH, ok, I’m done for now. Dinner time!

...ok, i lied =)

Danielle, I agree completely. I wasn’t trying to say OMGGIVEHERANOSCARNOWSHESTHEBESTEVAR ;), because yes, I would love to see her do something completely different. I was just saying don’t discount her b/c she and Luna are similar. I would love to see where she goes in the future.

Avatar Image says:

i agree that Emma Watson is underrated as well… some people just feel the need to attack… and i also think that Hermione is a tough character to play because she’s the one in the books that most people dislike when compared to Harry and Ron because she is so serious. Emma does a good portrayal though, and Hermione’s my favourite character so this makes me happy!

Avatar Image says:

redreh said: The panting is also a sign of being aware of one’s performance, aka, how one is being perceived at that moment. She doesn’t allow herself to get INTO the moment, rather, it seems that she’s getting into the idea of how that moment should look, how SHE should look in that moment. Not the truth of it.

This, really, is what’s at the heart of my problem with Emma in the HP films. Oh sure, I go on about her eyebrows, and her panting (I’m another one who’s glad to know that others are bothered by her asthmatic acting!), and her over-the-top delivery of lines. But I could probably get past all that if I could only believe her as Hermione when I’m watching the films.

Make no mistake, Dan and Rupert are far from perfect actors themselves, and they’ve each had their share of cringe-worthy acting moments (Dan’s “HE WAS THEIR FRIEND” crying scene in PoA, Rupert’s incessant mugging for the camera in CoS). But the thing is, I never have any problem simply accepting them as the characters when I watch the films. Despite their faults as actors, they bring something natural and genuine to their performances, something that rings true. They more or less lose themselves in the characters, and therefore I can lose myself in the movie and believe that I’m watching Harry and Ron, rather than Dan and Rupert. (I think the same can be said for Matt Lewis, Bonnie Wright, Evanna Lynch, Katie Leung, Tom Felton, Devon Murray, and probably some others as well).

Emma… not so much. As redreh said, Emma doesn’t seem to lose herself in the character. She always seems so AWARE that she’s acting, and therefore I’m constantly, acutely aware that she’s acting. She’s not Hermione, she’s an actress playing Hermione. If that makes any sense at all.

I still believe that Emma has potential, and no one would be happier than me if she proves us all wrong in the future. But really, I think the dear, admittedly adorable girl needs some intensive coaching first.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, and in case anyone thinks I’m hating on Emma, I’d like to say that I do think she’s got star quality. She’s very, very pretty (always an important factor in the career of a movie star!), and she has a lot of energy and charisma. I think she herself is cute as a button. I just think she’s got a long way to go as an actress, that’s all.

I think I might be less critical of her acting if I didn’t have to watch it alongside Dan’s, which (while still having room to grow) has improved exponentially since the first film. Seriously, you should try watching PS/SS and then OotP back-to-back. The difference in Dan’s acting in those two films is remarkable. I wish I could see some of that growth and improvement in Emma.

Avatar Image says:

Um, I like Emma but I think it’s clear that all awards are based on the fact that she’s pretty and has nothing to do with acting ability which is obvious when you actually watch the acting. I don’t think she’s gotten any awards based on acting. However, being pretty and outspoken is very important in Hollywood so let’s not knock that. It’s a talent unto itself. I’ll qualify the statement by saying that she was the best actor in PoA but nothing else. Maybe awards not based on prettiness are residual of her great acting in that movie. I also think if she gets rid of the exaggeration in her acting she’ll be quite good.

Avatar Image says:

“Oh, fantastic. Yet another tin-pot, mickey mouse award for Emma, to fuel her delusion that she actually has some acting talent. How much longer will we be afflicted with her over-emphasising, wooden delivery and eyebrow-acting.”

I second the motion. And if she wins many of these fan awards, she might start to think she’s good enough for an Oscar too. lol

Avatar Image says:

I have always considered Emma to be overrated both as an actress and as a fashion icon. On the looks department, I have always laughed at those fans who say she’s too pretty to be Hermione. Emma is pretty but not beautiful. She had signs of turning into a major beauty before but looks like the promise didn’t materialise. She’s just normal pretty now but the illusion of being beautiful is stressed by her being being “fashionable”. As for the acting, nothing overwhelming also. She was actually better in the first two movies but somehow deteriorated in the last ones. I thnk she started the panting and the eyebrow acting in POA. She was trying oh so hard to be “Kick ass power ranger” Hermione. Eversince, Ithat overenthusiastic character playing is obvious.

Avatar Image says:

I have to say, I’m never again going to be able to watch the HP films and see one of Emma’s asthma attacks, er, I mean, panting scenes, without thinking of this thread and giggling.

Thanks for the laughs, everyone!

Avatar Image says:

Hey anyone agree with me that Alan deserves something for all he has done as Snape? and Helena is also a kick but Bellatrix too. I love the kids and all but to me they are still developing acting skills. I didnt like the GOF movie too much either, but I did like the Death Eaters costumes better in that one than in OOTP.

Avatar Image says:

I meant Helena is a Kick ass Bellatrix , I just didnt want to get in trouble. He he

Avatar Image says:

Redreh and Danielle. My post does not contradict your posts, so no problem there, and indeed I look forward to having the opportunity to tear your performances to shreds sometime soon.

As I said above: the slagging off goes with the territory.

Now all you need to do is become successful !

Avatar Image says:

Where the Hell is Rupert! I want him to win and award! Come ON! I know Dan is the Main Character and attractive. Emma is the Main female and also attractive. But WHERE THE HELL IS RUPERT! He is just as good as the other two and has not won a singe award for HP, its always Dan and Emma. Maybe he will get more lime light in HBP, he does get a lot of ’ action ’ so to speak ;D

I’m not bashing Dan and Emma, I love them both very much and I think they deserve their awards but its the media that P!sses me off, Its like they mock Rupert in a way sometimes. Rupert get awards for his hair…HAIR! Or these silly Teeny-Bop web awards while Dan and Emma get BAFFts. Now don’t get me wrong, I love his beautiful hair but really now. I want him to be appreciated as an actor and not just because he has magnificent hair.

One thing, Rupert seems nonchalant about all this which is good if thats the case. I really just think in a honer to just be nominated but I want him to W. I . N

Avatar Image says:

You know, that’s the problem with saying I’m an actor. I mean it only to say that I have experience and a point of reference, not to say that I am THE authority on the subject. I know not many people here GET that perspective. I know i have not way of assuring my talent to you without sounding boasting or vain, but there is no need for you to insult my choice in profession by pointing your finger at a fear EVERY actor has:

We know our job is difficult; we know its hard to even define it as a job when 19/20 auditions will land you nothing simply because you don’t look the part.

Success is all I want. Naturally I’m envious of Emma’s success, but that comes, as you said, with the territory: that does not make me jealous. Jealousy and envy are very different things.

So, SeaJay, I hope you’re right: truth is, I would love to have you rip me to shreds; just wait until you see me act to do it.

@ Seajay

The difference is that I’m not an actress by profession. It is not my vocation, my career, my life’s work, as it is for Emma. I’m not being paid vast sums of money to play Hermione Granger, nor am I receiving loads of (undeserved, imo) nominations and awards for it while my co-stars, most of whom are frankly doing better work, are virtually ignored.

But if I WERE an actress, then I would certainly try to be the best I could be. I would want to be aware of where I needed improvement, and I would work hard to get better. I think EVERYONE should do that in their own career, regardless of what they do for a living. That’s why I’m hard on Emma. It’s not like she’s working in the coal mines or something. On the contrary, she’s a highly paid, mostly-adored actress who gets to play one of the most beloved characters in literature. I’m not saying that being an actress doesn’t have some serious drawbacks as well, but when all is said and done, Emma’s landed in a pretty golden situation, and I’d like to see her take full advantage of it. And frankly, from what I’ve seen in the films, she hasn’t done that, at least not as far as learning everything she can about being a better actress. Not in the way Rupert, and especially Dan, seem to have done.

Oh, and about me saying that everyone should try to be the best they can in their chosen career: I certainly apply that to myself as well. I’m a teacher, and I do in fact get evaluated and critiqued very frequently. It’s something I welcome, because I want to be the best teacher I can be. And yes, you’d be welcome to come sit in on one of my classes and “rip me to shreds” if you like. Because, as you said, it comes with the territory. ;)

I’ve gotten used to that. Emma will have to as well.

Avatar Image says:

I think emma deserves the award!!! Unlike rupert, dan, She cares bout school and learning. And she has a great personality! Thats all that matters to me!!

Avatar Image says:

@BellaSnape: I agree with your comment about Bellatrix’s costume, I would love to have that, it was perfect for her!! Same with the DE’s costume, it really was amazing.

And I am in full agreement about the adult actors. I mean we know that Maggie Smith (McGon), Alan Rickman, Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort), and Gary Oldman have already been recognized in the greater acting community, but wow…I think they all have nailed their characters and play them flawlessly. However, I think Thewlis, Natalie Tena, whomever plays Arthur Weasley and Lucius Malfoy, and Michael Gambon…and as some have mentioned Umbridge’s character in OoTP have gone unnoticed as far as awards. Where’s my Tonks fan at? I think they all did great. It has to be incredibly difficult to take something as intricate as HP and portray it on-screen. I appreciate all of them, I really think Smith and Tena should get some recognition for their roles. It’s really just made OoTP such a great experience, especially after the disaterous GoF.

Additionally, I don’t know about Bonnie yet. I think she did great in the looks at OoTP, but in HBP her character, as well as Ron’s are really in the spotlight, so I am sure we will see more about her acting abilities. I agree to that Rupert should get more recognition, because despite his lack of lines he portrays Ron accurately—at least my mental image. And Matt rocks as Neville, nailed the character, however a lot has to do with his make-up and costuming too.

2) About Emma, I agree with what was said earlier that in the first two movies Hermione’s character and Emma’s acting seemed to be right on que…what was mentioned earlier about CoS, Rupert was also acting out of breath, I think it was because the part was suppose to be about them running to keep up with Harry. I really didn’t see a fault in her acting, and for a child actor I was surprised, until PoA. In GoF it was just the lowest, but again I agree with what was said earlier that was 100% the director’s fault. That last scene should have been omitted and Emma should have received coaching as soon as they noticed the eyebrow tick. That’s what it is, she’s portraying the anxiety in the eyebrows, it’s something unconscious which is why as redreh said the panting started, because she had to really concentrate to notice it. However, in OoTP the eyebrow instance I only noticed once, and I was disappointed in her acting in the first scene at Grimmauld’s Place. Beyond that I actually think Emma has a potential to hone that ability to control her eyebrows to add to her acting, for instance when Hermione is talking Harry into starting DA it really added to the dark scene to have her raise her eyebrows at the exact moment the lightning struck. Then when they were in the Hog’s Head and she was talking to Harry I think the eyebrows really assisted in showing her apprehension of using Voldemort’s name, because her face wasn’t really expressing that type of fear. These changes, to me, indicate that the “actor’s director” Yates is aware of the problem. And in Emma’s interview for HBP she says she will make him repeat scenes until he is absolutely satisfied.

So, taken together I think this is indicative of changes to come in Emma’s performances and I think we will see a more convincing Hermione.

3) The only time I was disappointed in how Hermione’s character was portrayed was in PoA. There were a few redeeming characteristics, but for the most part it wasn’t how I envisioned Hermione’s character. Overall, in the first two movies and now OoTP I agree with how Hermione is being interpreted. For instance, I loved how caring they showed Hermione of Grawp and the Centaurs, even though they left out the house-elves movement, this really attaches Hermione to her character in the books. And I liked how understanding Hermione seemed to be of Harry, as if she already knew what he was thinking at the Hog’s Head, and on the scene of the bridge after DA were punished.

After that extremely long post, all I can say is I think we will see a change for the better with Yates and I have no qualms about HBP, and I can’t wait to see it!!

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, typo I meant to say that Emma stated Yates would make her re-do the scene until it was acceptable and that she trusted Yates because of this.

@ mione,

Then let Emma be given an award for being a good student, or having what you call a “great personality”. But don’t give her an award for being a good actress. That’s a joke.

:nods at Ginny:

Yes, I have high(ish) hopes for Emma/Hermione in HBP. I’m sticking with my silly theory (as seen on page 2 of the comments) that Emma’s acting skills are back on an upswing, which means she will be a little better in HBP than she was in OotP.

It’s a completely ridiculous, unfounded theory, but it helps me stay optimistic. LOL.

Avatar Image says:

wow, people are really critical. I think emma is totally cute with or without her “eyebrow acting”. I actually never noticed that and I don’t think that it’s necessarily a problem. In my opinion she is just as talented as Dan or Rupert any day. Rup should get more recognition though.

Avatar Image says:

Thank goodness there are some sane people around here! It seems that everywhere you go, people are fawning over Emma and telling you you’re jealous if you dare criticise her. Um, no. Emma is an okay actress, but she does NOT deserve all the awards and recognition she gets. She is NOT a better or more deserving actor than any other HP actor. So, why is she getting all the recognition?

Because she is pretty and charming and popular, and people confuse that with being a good actress. I firmly believe that no acting professional (actor, director, acting coach, what have you) could honestly compare Emma to the other HP actors and actresses and say that she is so much better than they are that she needs to get pretty much one award per month.

Emma is overshadowing every other HP actor/actress to such an extent that I hope her role is minimal in HBP and DH (yeah, dream on). That way the other actors and actresses could get a little bit of the spotlight, too. And right now they deserve that much, much more than Emma.

Avatar Image says:

I dont think Emma is beautiful at all (but I can see why others do) but she is definatly more conventionally attractive then Rupe or Dan, so yes I think her looks may have something to do with the awards ectera. It amkes me laugh when people acuse criticism for jealousy because in this case thats not it at all. I like Emma, she seems really nice however I just want her to do hermione justice. Until I went on this thread I honesty thought I was the only one who noticed her complete overacting…It makes me cringe sometimes…and I just dont understand it because in the first movie she was amazing but in GoF she was sooo bad. Your just so painfully aware when your watching her that she is acting, if you know what I mean.

I agree with what others have said that Dan has grown up to be a much better actor the he was (PoA ‘he was their friend’!). I have been really impressed with him in the last two movies although I also really hope he learns how to cry on camara for the DH’s!

As for Alan Rickman as Snape…I think he is amazing and I really hope they do Snape justice in HBP so that we can see more of him!

Avatar Image says:

This is about the most ridiculous thread I’ve ever read on this website. I am used to the impotent ranting of the Emma-haters by now, so it’s merely pitiful at this point, and even slightly amusing. Teen-age girls hate Emma because she’s pretty and knows Dan and Rupert, and is living every girl’s dream, with the acting, the popularity, the modeling, and so on.

And of course the most pathetic of all are the self proclaiming “actors” and “movie people” of one kind or another who post their “professional” wisdom. Put your resumes up for us to look at, why don’t you.

Unbelievable.

Avatar Image says:

Saria, what i meant about panicking is that we should all just try and see the ’’whole movie’’ rather than concentrate on Emma’s eyebrows :P do like i do, ignore her and look at Dan or Rupert ;D

Someone mentioned that Emma has more lines, and its true! Thats one other thing that makes me rather sad than annoyed. In the books Ron is portrayed as someone who can be as equally smart as Hermione, but in the movies he seems like a stupid guy who only barely gets through his classes…(ofcourse Emma has no power over the manuscript)

One thing to think about though, is that Jo saw the audition tape and knew instantly that she was the one for the part.

I dont own a copy of the PS movie, but i do wonder if she acted in the same way that shes acting now. I mean has she always had the ’’eyebrow-acting’’ in all the films ?

And i dont know, if you were in the wizarding world knowing theres a bald snake-looking assasin-psycho-killer out there, wouldnt you be as freaked out and paranoid as Hermione looks? :P

Avatar Image says:

Good luck to Emma. :) I think she’s getting better and better as every movie progresses! I’m not a huge fan of her, but I don’t think she’s as crap as some people make her out to be either.

Avatar Image says:

I hope they’ll win! Emma is a great actress but during OOTP I kept asking myself-WHERE IS HERMIONE? and the same goes for Ron. so little of them! I was angry.

@Ginny(I think)and I saw again someone complaining about Hermione in POA. In my opinion that was the real Hermione! character totally like book-Hermione!

Avatar Image says:

Thank You Ginny and Moony, I agree with you both I especially hope that they do Snape justice so we can see as much of Alan as possible. Those who criticize arent worth it, I think critics who judge movie are the same way not alot of them tend to see the good in movies anymore so they rate them on the flaws- How stupid. My motto is go by your own feelings and screw everyone else. Oh and rate your own movies.

Avatar Image says:

em doesnt have a brow acting problem!it’s just a nervous reaction/habit…anyway,she’s an awesome actress…v talented esp in the drama type acting! cant wait for her to win this and good luck to her and jany temine(cool costume degisner)

Avatar Image says:

have noticed 99% of all bad comments are by girls. witch i bet most are ugly fat AMERICANS and all Untalented and Jealous lil bleeps. If she was not good i really dont think she be replacing someone like Scarlett Johansson for her next film. shes only young an got time 2 inprove so cut her sum slack for god sake….. HAVE SAID MY PEACE THANKS JOHN

Avatar Image says:

Billy writes,”Oh, fantastic. Yet another tin-pot, mickey mouse award for Emma, to fuel her delusion that she actually has some acting talent. How much longer will we be afflicted with her over-emphasising, wooden delivery and eyebrow-acting?”

It always amazes me when non-showbiz types think they know more than producers, directors, and casting directors.

Avatar Image says:

You have to pay to vote in this?! what a jip

WELL SAID WILSON COULDNT AV PUT IT BETTER MYSELF

Avatar Image says:

@ mione- I don`t think it matters if the trio are in school or not. Rupert and Dan deserve this award just as much as Emma. Even more than Emma actually. In my opinion, she sucks at acting and needs to be told about that. I bet she just feels so great when she gets nominated. She shouldn’t because her acting is too over-the-top and dramatic. I’m so effing sick of her that I can’t even watch the movies without making a flipping comment about her stupid acting. GOSH.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think Emma can act at all. Dan was bad but is getting much, much better. Rupert could always act and is great.

Avatar Image says:

It was quite amusing actually when I was watching the 5th film and it got to the part where the trio start laughing about the kiss. And I thought OMG maybe Emma CAN act!!! Then later I found out that the laughing was all real! I thought that explained a lot.

WILSON and JOHN:

If you notice, most, in fact, almost all of these “HATERS” as you think we are, are actually not HATING. We’re voicing an OPINION. Just like you did. We, however, did not try to insult every commenter and belittle them. Take a step back, kindly, and actually READ the posts. If you do, you’ll understand that we all LIKE Emma very much, we just don’t like she’s a good actress. That’s ALL. That does not mean we are jealous or petty, and that does not mean that we are all GIRLS.

And since you have belittled me and my profession (yes, my profession!) I have to fight the urge to do so to you as well. It may come as a shock to you, but not everyone is as in love with her as you seem to be.

And yes, we all want her to improve, we wish it. We acknowledge her faults. And please, for the love of heaven: I have not come on here boasting I am an amazing actor. ALL I have been trying to do is add an opinion from someone who is involved in the theatre professionally.

If that mature point of arguing is too much for you, however, I understand. I guess not everyone can see that one criticism does NOT equal outright hatred.

Just to add, Wilson and John:

I would gladly post my resume if I thought it would change your opinion of me. I could refer you to past directors and cast and crew if I thought it would make a different. But it won’t, and you know it won’t. You’ve already decided in your head that I’m just some jealous little Emma-hating pretender, and no amount of credit will change that.

I say I’m an actor so people won’t say, “Oh what do you know, are you an actor?” “Well, yes…” Now I say that, and people laugh at me for not being famous and therefore I am jealous. What a world we live in.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, but I’ve made a typo! Different should have been difference! Guess that just makes me stupid and therefore unqualified to speak. e_e eyeroll

Avatar Image says:

i think emma is a brilliant actress and she deffiental deserves the award people always say daniel radclif is brill and rupretgrint to but i dont think emma gets accnologed enough

i disagree with danielle and billy

emma so deserves the award. cuz she puts so much hard work into what she does.

i think shes brill and she deffently deserves the award.

hope u win emma xoxo

Avatar Image says:

heya! my name is billy, too, but i’m totally not the billy trashing watson up there. i’ve posted things here before, and i don’t want anyone to think i’m that harsh! just for clarification.

i actually think, as someone who minored in acting at college (only 6 years ago!) that an actor can really effectively use subtle eyebrow affectations to achieve a decent end. apparently i’m in the minority, but there you go.

Avatar Image says:

Emma is soooo bad as hermione…..she does not portray the character well!!! ughhhh!!

Avatar Image says:

I love this thread. I agree with everyone who says that Emma is beautiful, charming, and popular….but she does not have enough talent to win so many awards. Not at all.

And to John and Wilson:

Most of the people who post on Leaky are older, professional, educated, and of all types of sexes. You are generalizing, which always makes a weak point.

Show us where Emma or anything she’s done has won an award not based on popularity…becaus the truth is she hasn’t. And she shouldn’t.

Dan has. Rupert’s move Driving Lessons won indie awards.

Emma can’t because she doesn’t have the chops. Not yet anyways. And it makes me sick that you can get so much recognition over much more talented coworkers just because everyone seems to like you.

Avatar Image says:

You know I keep saying, if WB would just give us the goods (real movie news); we’d have some good stuff to talk about.

All I have to say is, bring on HBP!!!! That’s ALL I’m concerned with.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know why the box is there, I said bring on HBP ! RON, I want Ron daggone!!!

Avatar Image says:

Ha ha some people need to really chill out! Getting so worked up just because there sre people who aren a fan of Emma’s acting! Jeesh…get a grip! No one is slagging Emma, just commenting on her acting ability, which I think you’l find we have every right to do. As I haver said before I really like Emma, she comes across as very professional and nice in her interviews. And John you sound like you are about twelve…either that or you have a serious crush…

Avatar Image says:

Well..I agree with many people here about Emma´s “acting” skills…But please take a look at who´s she´s up against…I mean NOT excatly class A actresses. So perhaps this nomination isn´t so wrong after all

Why all the vitriol??

This silliness happens a lot on Leaky. I’ve never understood it. I thought Leaky fans were supposed to be more reasoned.

Come on people – we’re not talking about the Nobel prize here!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t think we’ll see any of the trio’s true acting ability for several years. Dan has a private acting coach and voice coach, and yet the awards he has won have all been voted on by the public,too. Yes, even the awards for Equus. I think it’s great she’s nominated and they should all enjoy this time while they can because I’m not convinced any of them are going to take the acting world by storm once the HP movies are over. It’s a very tough business, and none of them are extraordinarily talented. But they work hard and balance an awful lot in their young lives, so I don’t begrudge them anything.

Good luck and congrats!

Avatar Image says:

@ amy- I don’t understand how you say that Emma doesn’t get acknowledged enough for her acting… She`s almost always nominated in things with Harry Potter, so I don’t see why you’re saying that. Rupert is the one that doesn’t get acknowledged at all.

@ KB Prez

With respect, criticizing Emma’s acting does not = vitriol. It merely =’s criticizing her acting. Period.

A handful of the comments here have been pretty harsh about Emma, I will agree. But I think if you read the comments carefully, you will see that most people have been kind about Emma, while making what they feel are valid criticisms of her work in the HP films.

However much people like Wilson and John would like to attribute it all to jealousy, or youth or being female (or even being American, apparently), the fact remains that a lot of people of all ages and genders think Emma is not a good actress. In fact, every red-blooded, heterosexual male I know in real life, from my 13-year-old nephew to my 39-year-old coworker, thinks Emma The Person is gorgeous and likeable, but can’t stand watching Emma The Actress. My husband, who also thinks Emma is beautiful and adorable, actually burst out laughing (and not in a nice way) when I told him that Emma had received a nomination for her acting.

A lot of people genuinely don’t care for Emma’s acting. I’m sorry, but there it is. If it makes her hardcore fans feel better to blame it on OMG JEALOUSY, then more power to them, I guess. But it doesn’t change the fact that she’s not a good actress.

Regarding the UR ALL JUS UGLY AND JELLUS!!! comments from John and Wilson:

Hahahaha! That is so funny. I could very easily respond with an equally scathing blanket generalization of people who praise Emma’s “acting”, saying that they’re all just pathetic, pubescent, sexually-frustrated fanboys who think that if only they could meet Emma she’d fall in love with them, and are so blinded by her good looks that they can’t even see what’s right in front of their faces: that the lovely goddess Emma is, in fact, human, and Just. Can’t. Act. But I’ll rise above it, and won’t make such a generalization of Emma’s defenders in these comments.

Oops, I guess I just did, didn’t I?

Avatar Image says:

@ Jeanne, I agree with you its rather funny when they talk like they are professional judges and what not. OH and like their opioion is the center of the universe or Gods word or something. People do it alot with cast members, its sooo sickening- ” shes not what I Pictured”, ” shes not MY whoever”. Geez peoples get over youselves.

Avatar Image says:

@Danielle, I hear ya, but I will never understand the agitation (by some) over these popularity contests.

@ BellaSnape and Jeanne

Um, last I checked, you don’t actually have to be a professional judge to recognize bad acting. That’s like saying you have to be a weatherman to be able to tell when it’s raining. Bad acting is bad acting, and it’s right there for anyone, even us lowly non-actors, to recognize.

And BellaSnape, I would also respectfully suggest that you yourself seem just as convinced that YOUR opinion is the center of God’s universe. For example, you have repeatedly blasted anyone who even DARES to say they don’t think Helen McCrory is right for Narcissa, without acknowledging that people are different and have different ideas of the characters. Instead, you seem to think that because YOU like her, EVERYONE should like her, and you seem to show no patience whatsoever for anyone who disagrees with you. So if we are arrogant and self-centered in our opinions, then you certainly are as well. (For the record, I actually like Helen McCrory, I’m just using her as an example since you seem to feel so strongly about her.)

Honestly, I just don’t understand what’s wrong with people saying that they dislike Emma’s acting. I can understand people getting upset about PERSONAL attacks on her, but most of the comments on this thread have not been about her as a person; they have been about her acting. There is a big difference. And I just don’t see what’s wrong with that. Peole have certainly criticized Dan and Rupert’s acting in other threads. Why should Emma be exempt from valid criticism?

Avatar Image says:

Oops, typo, that second-to-last sentence was supposed to start out “People”. :headdesk:

@ KB Prez: I think maybe what galls people is that the popularity awards are disguised as “acting” awards. As someone said earlier, give Emma an award for being pretty, for being charismatic, for being a fashion trendsetter, for being a good student, or for just being a nice person. By all means, give her an award for that. Just don’t pretend that it’s for “acting”.

But you’re right, we get too worked up about it. So I’ll just take myself away now. :)

Avatar Image says:

What’s the big deal? So Emma got nominated for some award, so what? And since the award specializes in sc-fi and fantasy, I don’t think it’s a big surprise that people from OOTP got nominated. Yeah, there many other older actors in OOTP who are better than Emma but seriously, it’s not like this is the Oscar or something.

To BellaSnape:

I love Alan Rickman as well. He almost makes me like Snape when I watch the films! :p In fact, I enjoy almost all of the adult actors. But for me, the kids really are the heart of the films; they are generally the ones who are able to make or break the movie, and the adults, for the most part, are just along for the ride (however enjoyable their performances are). Just my opinion.

Also, I don’t really like to compare the kids’ acting to the adults’ acting, because I don’t think it’s fair. The adults have had years more experience (and in most cases, years more professional training) than the kids have had. And, well, the kids are still kids, whereas the adults are adults, right? They should be better actors than the kids! So while I may criticize Emma’s acting, I will at least only compare her to the actors in her age group, who have the same level of experience she does, rather than adult actors who have been acting longer than she has been alive! ;)

Avatar Image says:

@Ginger, yes it makes sense someone from Ootp got nominated, but would have made better sense if Dan had been selected as he did a great job, or Rupert, who isn’t the best actor but still more convincing than Emma.

Avatar Image says:

Congratz to both! I agree that Rupert deserves some applause too, but guys, it’s just being a bit harsh on Emma. She’s not that bad…

Avatar Image says:

Emma’s not that good of an actress IMO but I suppose she has the glamour, ‘star power’ and a massive fanbase so it’s not surprising.

Dan isn’t so good and Rupert’s not in the films enough to get nominated but I really don’t think Emma deserves this but nothing I can do so…......

Avatar Image says:

I wonder how many people would be her fans and think she was a “brilliant actress”, if she were ugly??????

Avatar Image says:

All this talk of whether Emma is a good actress or not I find rather interesting. What I would say is that I think all 3 of them (Radcliffe, Grint, Watson) are good actors – I mean I can’t picture anyone else in those roles so I obviously have accepted their portrayals of Harry, Ron and Hermione. But what I would also add is that I don’t think any of them at this point in their careers are deserving of acting awards and what’s more I think it’s an injustice to them to give them acting awards. They still have a long ways to go – from what I’ve seen it takes years and years for an actor to hone their craft – and generally, movies like the Harry Potter movies are not a showcase for acting – yes we all enjoy the characters but the movies are a big extravaganza so to speak – in many ways the special effects are the “starring player” – certainly Ron and Hermione were but bit players in the last film so to nominate either of them in a starring role is laughable – not that I don’t like Grint or Watson, mind you – but to say that their acting deserved awards – they were not on screen enough to warrant such kudos. As for Radcliffe – well I don’t think his portrayal of Harry warrants acting awards either because in my humble opinion the role (as most of the roles in a movie of this nature) are not the kind of roles that garners awards – though I do think Radcliffe is making smart career choices that perhaps will someday get him such awards. Hopefully Grint and Watson will get similar choices once they move on from Harry Potter. I do think all 3 of them show great potential.

Avatar Image says:

Well, I thought Dan did really quite well in OotP so I don’t exactly agree with you on that one, but generally your comments are very fair and you’re right, non of them really deserve or need awards at this point.

Avatar Image says:

Actually, Dan never impressed me until OotP. I thought he had finally made Harry more raw, more real, like he is in the books. And My Boy Jack was a great film as well. But OotP shows how deserving he is becoming.

Rupert is comfortable in front of the camera, very VERY expressive, and did excellent in a leading role. He definitely has the most natural talent of the three.

Emma is nothing near good enough yet. She could be. But now, she just overacts. Maybe Yates is working on her. We’ll find out.

...I can’t wait to see what a jealous asthma attack sounds like in HBP

Avatar Image says:

Except for POA, I haven’t liked Emma’s acting in the HP films. But I also saw her in “Ballet Shoes” and thought she was wonderful. I was very pleasantly surprised.

After seeing “Ballet Shoes”, I wondered why she hasn’t given the same kind of performance in most of the HP films. I discount SS and COS because of her inexperience. Of the trio, I think Rupert gave the best performances in the first two films. He seems to be a “natural” and I’m sorry he’s gotten less and less screen time. As for the most recent films, I think Emma’s performance has been generally poor and I doubt I’ll ever understand why.

Emma’s nomination for this latest award has nothing to do with her acting. This is just another popularity contest. Most of us understand that. I couldn’t care less who’s nominated, let alone who wins.

But I like very much what I know of Emma as a person. She has Hermione-like brains and seems to be a lovely person. She also appears to want acting as her career and based on her performance in “Ballet Shoes”, I think she has the potential to be quite good at it. I hope she is successful.

Avatar Image says:

In my opinion, Rupert is the better actor out of the three. It just seems to come more naturally to him. I sometimes think Daniel and Emma over act. Rupert could go on and be a great actor someday and I don’t know about the other two. Saying that I couldn’t imageing a Harry Potter movie without them. I have watched both My Boy Jack with Daniel and Driving Lesson with Rupert. I didn’t like Daniels performance and I liked Ruperts.

Avatar Image says:

Kellyjo Dan has received GREAT REVIEWS for his performance in My boy jack and he could be nominated for one Emmy.i think he is the best actor of the trio and Emma is a bad actress

...I can’t wait to see what a jealous asthma attack sounds like in HBP

Oh, EruditeWitch, I LOLed so hard at that. :D

Avatar Image says:

I dont think I am the center of the universe, nor do I think my opinion is, to clarify that to you Danielle. The only reason it seems that way with Helen is because people give really lame reasons as not to like her- Shes ugly? shes too old? I dont know but I was raised that you dont judge someone or just dismiss them right away before you know how they will act. If they said something about her acting then I wouldnt say a word- quiet as the dead I swear- but to just say ” she wont work because thes too ugly or old” it alittle juevenile and inconsiderate. She is beautiful and only 39 about the correct age of Narcissa. Alot of people have come around and are going to give her a chance at the part which was all I was trying to say in the first place. ITs not just her, for OOTP people were complaining about Nat Tena not looking enough like Tonks, when really she did and did a really good job. I am willing to except any ones opinion but if it is down right nasty like- ” your ugly or old” I wont take it, I will defend the victim.

Avatar Image says:

@ Thanks English Ivy, I know isnt Alan just the perfect Snape, he does the part so well and like everyone else Im on pins and needles to see him in this next installment. HE is a very tantilizing actor. I also want to see Helena again as Bellatrix.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait to see what a jealous asthma attack sounds like in HBP

Hahahaha! Wow- that is absolutely HILARIOUS! ;) I bet it’ll sound like hyperventilation & a bit of eye-brow raising for sure. Ooh, now I cannot wait. :D

Avatar Image says:

I don’t understnad how the less talented of all the younger actors in the one who gets a nomination… lol She doesn’t even play Hermione, she plays a posh, “fashionable” girl she invented…

Avatar Image says:

Okay, seriously, enough is enough. Emma Watson does not deserve all these nominations. AND WHY THE HELL IS RUPERT GRINT SO UNDERRATED? BY GOD, I BET ITS BECAUSE HES A GINGER.

Avatar Image says:

Forget about these nominations, what’s a joke is that you have to PAY to vote!.. I’m sorry but this seems as much a scam to me as those things where you have to pay some money because you won some lottery that you didn’t even enter (and end up not receiving any prizemoney either by the way!) If this was a serious award, surely the costs would be picked up by business sponsers and not the people who would want to vote. Considering the number of Emma’s fans, I shudder to think of the greed of the “contest” holders.

The other thing is that considering how little she had to do in the movie, i don’t think she should win, unless she was up against actresses in similarly tiny /side roles. If any were a real lead actress, well….)shakes head)

Avatar Image says:

It’s nothing to do with him being ginger, he’s too quiet and shy for the media to notice. He is the best actor of the 3, but he’s just too quiet to be of interest but when Harry is over, Rupert will be the one with the guaranteed career. Dan will disappear and Emma will be a celebrity/ fashion icon.

Avatar Image says:

“Don’t fret about Rupert, his future’s bright and these awards are rubbish anyway, everyone knows who’s got the most talent so these things are meaningless really.”

Sooo..Julie, you´re a fortune teller..wow…Amazing…You know the truth is that NOBODY knows what will happend in the future.

“everyone knows who`s got the most talent”

I´m soooooo happy to tell you that I´m NOT a part of “everyone”

“So these things are meaningless really”

So, if Rupert actually DID make all those best/popular lists, they will still be “meaningless”?

Avatar Image says:

“Dan will disappear”sorry Julie but WHATT??Dan has done 3 differents roles out of HP,in September will be in Broadway,he will be Dan Eldon,he could be nominated for one Emmy and one Tony.Rupert has done so much things like Dan?NO.Dan is the best of the trio

Avatar Image says:

hiya julie! heh, i’m with Sonja and Sarah. Dan and Emma are nowhere near disappearing lol. There’s practically a year before hp starts up again- looks like Dan and Emma are going to be busy enough. They are alreay moving on.

Avatar Image says:

Julie, sorry to say this, but talent alone never guarantees success. Depressing, eh, but that’s life. So it’s not a given who will go on to more success, never mind who is the best or has(n’t) talent. Success has more to do with opportunity and luck, and the ability to sell yourself can actually count.

IMO they are all good and all also have their weaknesses, including Rupert. They also have gaps in experience because they did not go to stage school. At least Dan recognizes this by employing a coach for certain skills that HP can’t give him. It’ll be another 5 to 10 years before any of them builds up a portfolio strong and varied enough to forge a career on. That’s what they need to do, regardless of talent.

Avatar Image says:

I’ll add that Emma has the chance to fill gaps in her acting experience if she goes to Cambridge Uni as planned and joins the Footlights, which launched many an acting career (including Thompson, Fry, Laurie, Cleese, Idle). She’ll be able to get some stage experience. Dan also reads a lot and has a literature tutor, which will stand him in good stead if he wants to do more stage work.

Avatar Image says:

Give the poor girl a break…I really hope she stays clear of this site and all you “haters” and “critics” who have gone overboard with your negativity. If the director doesn’t like the way someone is portraying something then it is his or her responsibility to act upon it . I am sure that if Emma decided not to finish the remaining movies MORE people will be disappointed than the handful of people complaining. I for one, when reading the books, see not only her but the rest of the actors in my mind and do not wonder whether an eyebrow is being raised during a scene. No one complained about Frodo’s eyebrows !!!

Avatar Image says:

Ok, im watching GoF right now, and i dont understand this whole ’’eyebrow-acting’’ thing. I know ive said that its a bit annoying, but heres the thing.

How in Merlins pants are you supposed to act without eyebrows !? if youre playing mad, and youre not using the eyebrows, it would be like using botox to prevent ’’acting-with-your-eyebrows’’ ! Can you show youre angry or anxious without moving your eyebrows?

My brother just showed me how, and it involved the middle finger…Now i dont know, but this all seems just a wee bit odd. Like why are we even discussing it ;D (yes i know alot of you will probably answer that question, but i dont care ;) The thing is, Emma is a good actress who is still learning, and learning good ;)

Avatar Image says:

“Can you show youre angry or anxious without moving your eyebrows? My brother just showed me how, and it involved the middle finger…”

ROFL, that’s excellent!

I saw Imelda Staunton in a scene, I can’t remember what programme now, it may even have been HP, which worked because of a single eyebrow movement. Without it, it wouldn’t have worked.

Avatar Image says:

Some good points there anna.

Yeah, as I’m not a Rupert fan AT ALL, I still think he has the most natural talent and will be successful, IMO Dan won’t last, and Emma will be a style icon more than anything. Of course I don’t know what the future will be, but I’m usually right on my hunches, so I’m going with what I’ve said, if I’m wrong, I’m wrong, I’ve no ego about it.

These type of awards are meaningless, when they’ve done a challenging role, like Dan in Equus, then I’ll take them seriously.

I’m actually only a Daniel fan, but a realistic one!!!

Avatar Image says:

Emma is a great actress, and in my opinion the best of the three. The stuff I have read in the comments here are the most ridiculous comments I have ever read. From the “popularity contests” to “anti-ginger” conspiracies. Just be happy for Emma, and her being nominated has NOTHING to do with Rupert not being nominated. Be mad at the people running these award ceremonies, not an actress who not only has NOTHING to do with the guy not being nominated, but is a FRIEND of the actor you all love. How do you think Rupert would feel if he saw all of you giving his friends a hard time? Which is why I am glad none of the trio likely read these comments., because they would be annoyed if they did.

Write a Reply or Comment