“Deathly Hallows” To Film in Scottish Highlands Later This Year

123

May 14, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

With production on “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” nearing completion in England, there is a new report tonight regarding early production for the final two films in the series due to take place in the highlands of Scotland. The Scotsman newspaper is reporting that filming for both Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movies “will be shot in Lochaber later this year.” As readers will recall, Potter film producer David Heyman stated that full production on both films, which will be filmed simultaneously, is due to begin in February of next year, so it is uncertain at this point how much, if any, of the cast will actually take part in this filming. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One will be released November 19, 2010, with part two due in May 2011. You can read more about the Scottish Highland Film Commission here, and more about the Lochaber/Ft. William area in Scotland via this link.

42 Responses to “Deathly Hallows” To Film in Scottish Highlands Later This Year

Scotland? Sweet!

1st?

Avatar Image says:

Nice to already be hearing DH news…!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m guessing this will probably just consist of some shots from the air or something along those lines. Dan won’t be available then as he will be on Broadway until sometime January, I believe.

Avatar Image says:

Well we definitely know Dan won’t be there until Feb. He is pretty commited in NY from Sept till the second week of Feb.

Avatar Image says:

Oops! I meant to say “until sometime IN January…”.

Avatar Image says:

so exciting to hear DH news already!

But so sad too…the end is coming… the definite one…

Avatar Image says:

OMG? DH news already?! But a trailer for HBP isn’t even out yet…..

Avatar Image says:

I kind of thought it would be shooting of the locations where the trio, and duo may stay at. Then later on it would be green screened back in. Just seemed to be what it was to me.

Avatar Image says:

There’s Dh news and not even a HBP TEASER trailer?? wow, Wb, wow, lol jk, YAYA!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I agree with iamminerva, this is most likely just the landscape aerial shots. Since much of the story happens in the fall, but they will be filming in the spring, they’re going to have to get their scenic shots this fall.

Avatar Image says:

Yay! It’s awesome to hear stuff about this. The sooner they shoot the better frankly so that everyone doesn’t look too much older than they are meant to. So if this gets them sorted for February filming that works for me.

On the other hand I really don’t want to get excited for DH 2 and a half years before it’s due, lol. I’m imploding enough waiting for HBP … I don’t need to implode over DH yet as well.

Avatar Image says:

and the “dragon-flying-over countryside” scene for the Deathly Hallows location-scouting is nearly over. more later.

Posted by || on May 13, 2008 @ 12:11 AM

Whoa, he/she predicted it. I don’t know this person from anyone, but it’s pretty impressive that he/she says this out of left field and then a day later we get this news.

Avatar Image says:

Uhh….thats gonna take forever for the last movie…..oh well…..the longer the movies last, the longer my spirit is…so….i guess…all works out well

Avatar Image says:

It is almost impossible to believe that we are this close to filming the last installment(s) of the franchise. Where has the time flown in the Harry Potter fan?

Prolly just scenery shots and all that jazz. :3

Avatar Image says:

“overhead shots” are some of the hardest, and DH is gonna have a LOT of “scenery” Also, 2010/11 isn’t that far away, folks! Kasia: it doesn’t “take forever”, unfortunately…”the end is near!” sob

Avatar Image says:

even bigger sob but we’ll always have Harry, Hermione, Ron and Ginny [and a whole world of others] And JKR….sob-whimper

Avatar Image says:

ugg… i hate it when they do that.. he says it like there may not be a chance of cast members returning!! ..i know he only means no contracts have been signed yet, but GEEZ!!

Avatar Image says:

i agree this is just likly scenic material for the film, including my guess stuff for the dragon riding sequence as they will need a lake to use for end of the dragon ride and there are plenty of lochs there to choose from, so this cool but i want more aHBP stuff and pictures !!!! and please no more pics of ron and his bowl of nuts lol

Avatar Image says:

Probably just wide angel landscape shots.

Avatar Image says:

I think the filming is primary to fit in some of the second-unit filming in order to complete principal photography for DH on time once 2009 is upon us. Not only shoot establishing shots, but maybe some distant shots of the stand-in doubles for Dan, Rupert and Emma as they walk through and around the Highlands in search of the Horcruxes. Then when first-unit starts shooting, they can just do insert shots of Dan, Rupert and Emma.

Avatar Image says:

Omg that’s really near my grandparents’ house!!!!

I don’t think I’m going there anytime soon =(

Maybe I’ll send my grandad there to take some pictures for me lol.

finally some luck! :-)

anyway, as regards the “extra scenes” referred to in the “Lucius-Azkaban-photo” post comments, quite a few of you have guessed/figured out the correct thing:

Remember the PoA “deleted” scenes? They were referred to as “incomplete/unfinished” scenes (depending on DVD region). They were just things with the story that they started out filming but as rough cuts of the movie were done, the director thought that it wouldn’t “gel well” with the story / came with a quicker / more appropriate way to further develop the plot in the tone of the movie (in the director’s opinion anyway) e.g. the scene on the DVD with McGonagall in her tartan gown talking about Neville “misplacing” a list of passwords to the common room that Sirius might have used to “attack” Ron (as in the book, but obviously that part wasn’t used in the movie). Or the Sir Caddogan scenes.

In CoS, the deleted scenes actually added a lot to the movie and made perfect sense when reintroduced for airing the extended edition by ABC. The only reason they were cut is in interest of time. CoS ran 2hr 45 min in theaters, so it would be difficult to keep another 10 min in there. They were properly filmed and part of the original story.

In GoF, this was repeated somewhat, and the deleted scenes still fit back perfectly well. However, this time, they don’t contribute as much to the story. GoF also ran 2 hr 40 min

In PoA though, the extra scenes don’t make sense as the thread of plot which they would lead to was trimmed/altered. So they are “abandoned’. PoA only was 2 hr 20 min, so there was no need to cut any other full scenes. The DVD still redeemed itself by including the Jo interview.

The situation with OotP is similar to PoA. Same idea, with “abandoned threads”. In some cases, as mentioned by others before me, there were scenes where the FX were never done, and would be expensive/waste-of-time right now. They don’t merge back into the story properly. OotP also ran 2 hr 20 min. No need for further cuts.OotP’s DVD, however, didn’t have a Jo interview. (it would be a bit repetitive for JKR.) The Tonks bit was just like the champions featurette in GoF dvd.

HBP is gonna have scenes cut this time around. Many of you have seen the recent set-report(s), read the loooong list of casting and probably wondered, “how’ll this make the final cut?” It won’t. Estimated/targeted run for HBP is 2 hr 30 min right now. (subject to change). There aren’t that many “abandoned threads” this time around. They’ve molded the story differently in quite a few places. This was to allow things to make sense in the DH movies, fill gaps from movies 3, 4 and 5 (mostly 5). The things they cut from the 6th book were better set before filming. So the stuff that gets cut will be actual sensible scenes. They’ll have about 3 hrs of footage, I dunno which parts will be moved to DVD right now but…

DH 1 will be pulling in some story from previous books (especially 6). This will allow DH 2 to have a bit more to push it along then just (climactic) action. DH 1 will also look a bit more interesting thus. No further details available on DH right now. Sorry! wait n’ watch..

As for the “scrapped footage” = “abandoned threads” etc., it’ll in all likelihood come on an “extra” extra disc after the series is complete. In the super-mega-ultra-jumbo-Blu-HD-ray-gift-collector pack. (they’ll also try for a Jo featurette (of what nature, I dunno: interview ? commentary? (unlikely) documentary?)

Avatar Image says:

Great to hear DH news even before the release of HBP! Sounds exciting!

Avatar Image says:

So, alas we have reached the beginning of the end….

Avatar Image says:

II thanks for the information!

Do you know anything about the climax of HBP?I’m really worried about it.It seems that you know some stuff so I’d love to hear some more!xDxD

Ooohhh….and so great news for DH.Highlands is a great and awesome place and I’d love to see the trio wandering on slopes, next to lakes etc.Yayyyyyyyy

Avatar Image says:

It’ll be for blue screen, I bet. I hate that! Why not just go the whole and film thr thing on location, instead of having an awful background stuck on bluescreen. And then you can have some amazing location shots! :)

Avatar Image says:

|| thanks for the information!

crosses fingers for Hagrid-hut

Avatar Image says:

whoo..DH news..already.i just don’t know if it’s good or not…i mean the end is coming :sob: anyway,i guess they’ll film some outside shots(or how the hell they call it?)you know,some lakes or forest,they spend sooo much time “camping” in different places in DH.

Avatar Image says:

Why so late for both DH films. I can understand 2010 for part I but why so long for part II if filming is done together?

Avatar Image says:

Yay Scotland! I doubt there will be alot of filming there though it’ll probebly just be sceanary and stuff.

Avatar Image says:

it’s almost a poignant thing to read news on DH alrdy..since we all know..tht it ends finally with DH 1 and 2..with that comes a huge voidness to us all.I do wish tht there will be more news of hbp..than dH so soon…i thought filming starts feb 09..except for Dan.

Avatar Image says:

wow This is coming too quickly! We just finished the book a year ago….

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful ! to hear they are going to film the landscaping in Scottland for DHI and II .I love seeing it and it will be a perfect addition for the forrest scenes and the Dragon scenes. Nice to read DH news this soon ,to hear how they are already doing work on it is good,it will mean all will be ready to kick into production in February 2009 after Dan completes his run with Equus.

ll thanks so much for the information, sounds good actually,more will be highly appreciated ,when and IF you can

I am so looking forward to HBP and am a little glad they haven’t shown as much as usual of the stills,the surprise of the film itself will be a big plus.But a few scene shots and a trailer would be very nice,that would not be too much to spoil the surprise of the film itself.

Avatar Image says:

|| wrote: When I recently talked about the proposed plot (not in as much detail, this time, I learn from the past) for HBP a few days ago, some folks again went “impossible!”. say what you will.

Could you show me where you posted that? Or even repost it I’d like to read it. Thanks.

Avatar Image says:

I had to double check when I saw news on the Deathly Hallows movies… I mean, we don’t even have a teaser for HBP

Avatar Image says:

Oh, and I can’t WAIT until the bluray release of the entire series… I’ve held off buying any of the movies on bluray because I want to get the big set.

Avatar Image says:

iamfez,did you find anything that II posted? I wonder about the HBP news…!

So soon? OH YES!!

Avatar Image says:

I agree with everyone else who says it’s going to be landscape shots for the dragon riding scene and other scenes when the trio is wandering. Oh I’m so excited!

Avatar Image says:

Wow!! So soon?? I thought they would wait a while til filming it…so now we have to follow up news for three movies :D

again sorry for my bad english ^^

Write a Reply or Comment