Rediscover the Magic of “Sorcerer’s Stone” In Our Reading Groups

124

May 15, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Once again our one of a kind Leaky Lounge Reading Groups have opened their doors and begun sorting for their latest round of community book club readings. This time around we will be going back to where it all started with a reading of the first book in author J. K. Rowling’s series, “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.” In order to participate, Lounge members may click to enter the Inn and follow the instructions on how to be sorted into one of our many fun and family-like Reading Groups. Those who are not yet Lounge members, sign up right here!

Also, for the first time, we will be introducing a Side Along Reading Group which will focus on author Lisa Wright DeGroodt’s first novel: Oracle Quest. This optional addition to our standard reading groups will offer participants the opportunity to explore and discuss the journey both novels take us on. Lisa was heard on a previous episode of our Harry Potter podcast, PotterCast, and copies of her book can be found in our Cauldron Shop. Enjoy!

14 Responses to Rediscover the Magic of “Sorcerer’s Stone” In Our Reading Groups

Avatar Image says:

Just reread it like a couple of months ago and it STILL, makes me feel at 20 the way I first did reading it aged 13. On an unreleated note- only one day til the (supposed) HBP teaser! Good God please let us have it tomorrow!

“Family-like”? Hmph, riiight.

“a pervious episode”

I’m sure it wasn’t meant to sound that… dodgy! Lol.

I love PS, it’s one of my favourite HP books!! Just got sorted into the cupboard under the stairs =)

Avatar Image says:

I thought Jo had expressed a wish that -now both she and the books are so well known, that the title of the first book revert to being called by what she, in fact, calls it -“Philosophers Stone” ? Was it not said in a Q & A during her US tour, the time before last ?

Avatar Image says:

I wish they had never “dumbed down” the title for the American public. I wish Scholastic had given us more credit than that! (I HATE being talked down to) Did any of the other publishers around the world change the title?

Avatar Image says:

I’m reading it in Irish at the minute :)

Avatar Image says:

Cat – I think it was just America.

Wikipedia says: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (published in the United States as Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone) ...

Don’t know why they changed it either, I’m sure most Americans know what a philosopher is!

Avatar Image says:

Indeed-if it were not for the USA, tehre would be no Potter films and much else as well so Potter fans owe them a lot. I have looked up where Jo said that- It’s quoted in the dreaded lexicon ! (in the “books” part.)

But I am sure I have read it somewhere else as well. My recollection is that she felt "angry with herself for giving in" to Scholastic. But I suppose, at that time, she was not in as powerful position as she was later.

Anyway- it doesn’t really matter but not changing it after all of this time may have something to do with copyright I guess.

Avatar Image says:

just started reading again the other day almost read the whole book in one setting it was like i didn’t know how it will end all over again.

I was sorted into the Snitch Niche! =D

Philosopher’s Stone!!!!

Yay! Snich Niche!

Avatar Image says:

I kind of wish it was called Philosopher’s Stone in the US too, but I still call it Sorcerer’s Stone since that’s what my cover says!

To “non,” can I ask what you mean by “Family-like, Hmph, riiight.”? The RG’s are a blast, and they are.

Avatar Image says:

omg!!! long time agooo since i read that book for the first time!!!! it was amazing!!!! like… knowing that magical place and never wanted to let go!!!!

Write a Reply or Comment