113

Jun 10, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Early reports are starting to surface tonight from the charity auction at Waterstone’s, featuring the special card from author J.K. Rowling. A new 800 word prequel to the Harry Potter series sold tonight for 25,000 pounds ($48,855) reports Bloomberg.com. The article continues to note the “buyer was an absentee bidder. More than 100 guests attended the invitation-only event, called “What’s Your Story?” and run by Sotheby’s auctioneer Edward Rising at the Waterstone’s branch in Piccadilly.” “ UPDATE: As reported previously, one of 13 cards donated for this charity event in London, England, AFP now has more on the prequel involving two of our favorite Marauders set 3 years before Harry was born. The article reports that the prequel story involves Sirius Black and James Potter who “are confronted by two policemen after a high-speed motorcycle chase, and evade the authorities using their broomsticks and magic.” ( Editor’s Note: A motorcycle! No word if that is indeed the motorcycle of later flying legend, but very exciting business indeed) J.K. Rowling is also quoted in the article as saying “I had great fun writing the card and I’m absolutely delighted that it has raised 25,000 pounds for two such worthy causes.” UPDATE 2 Lizo, now from BBC, has a new video report online, where he reads an excerpt of the prequel whichyou can watch via this link. In the excerpt, we hear a bit on James and Sirius as they are confronted by the two police officers in front of a dark alley. UPDATE 3: The video is now available here in our galleries.

We are working to find out more about the events at the auction, including the contents of the card,which will be placed online tomorrow for all fans to read via this link to Waterstone’s. This prequel will also be part of a book that will be published August 7th containing all 13 of the cards, proceeds to benefit charities English Pen and Dyslexia Action. You can pre- order this book from Waterstones (who will ship internationally) via this link. Stay tuned!

47 Responses to Harry Potter Prequel Sells for 25,000 Pounds at Charity Auction, Video of Excerpt Now Online

Avatar Image says:

Yay! That’s really good. I think I was expecting it would sell for more but because the event was invitation only… anyway it is still really good. I can’t wait to read it!

Avatar Image says:

I’m surprised it didn’t go for higher. It would have been good for the charities at least. Still, that’s a lot of money.

thats quite alot haha

Avatar Image says:

Well, that’s more than I make in a year …

Avatar Image says:

Huh! I just may have made first for once! I personally connot wait to read this tomorrow. Hope the link will work from my work computer. (Crossing fingers)

Hurray, Marauders!

Avatar Image says:

Holy crap! 25,000 for 800 words!?

that’s 31.25 pounds (about $60) a WORD!

Avatar Image says:

Personally I thought It’d be more than that but then again its only 1 card…

Avatar Image says:

I thought it’d be more than that too! But they’ll make a lot more from the books =)

TLC does anyone know if Jo was there? Please say no please say no!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I’m glad it made that much all the better fr charity help wish i had the money to buy it :( lol

Avatar Image says:

Thats great! I thought it would go for a lot more though I’m a little disappointed.

Avatar Image says:

WOAH that is a lot of money!! I’m sure it is worth every penny though.

Can’t wait to read it tomorrow xD

Avatar Image says:

I suspect we all expected it to go for more after Beedle The Bard, but it does depend who was there to bid on the night and whether more than one bidder wanted it. But I would imagine that it will earn more than that from the sale of the postcard sets.

Avatar Image says:

Drumsticks? Holy moley, was Sirius really Stubby Boardman after all?

Avatar Image says:

That’s rather a lot of money! Even if people were expecting it to go for more- it’s nowhere near as precious as the fairytales because this will be released to the public.

I wonder who bought it :)

Avatar Image says:

IMO this shows just how much pottermania has died over the last few months. If she’d done this right after Book 7 I guarentee you there would be mass hysteria and the card would have sold for waaaaay more. But still, $50k for charities is an amazing thing.

Avatar Image says:

WHOO! How friggen awesome! ;)

Avatar Image says:

I really hope jo goes into more detail of the old order of the pheonix and the anventures of the marauders. That would be awesome to read in the future!

Avatar Image says:

A police chase? Lol I can’t wait to read it, I bet it’s hilarious! I’m so happy it raised so much money for the charities.

Avatar Image says:

i wonder how the 13 cards will be published in august. will it be in a book or something and have illustratins and a fancy cover

So excited to read it!

Avatar Image says:

I hope Jo blogs about this as she did for the Beedle the Bard auction _ btw, her storycard alone raised more than half of the total raised by the auction, which is 47,150 pounds (info from Waterstone’s website).

Avatar Image says:

Any volunter for transcript the first lines of the story??? my audio is broken!!

thanks!!! please help me. i want to know the lines :)

OH MY GOOD GOD! ;] How exciting! I can’t wait! AHHHHH! =D

Avatar Image says:

OMG!! I wanna read this sooo bad!! it souns hillarious. i can just picture james and sirius!!!!Good job Jo!!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve ordered two of the booklets from Waterstone’s. I’m hoping they manage to raise a lot for the two charities. 25000 pounds is substantial for 800 words! I wouldn’t say Pottermania has lessened, the fact that the contents of not only this, but all the cards will be published makes them less valuable than “Beedle the Bard’s” tales which will likely remain secret for some time.

Thanks again Jo.

OMT

I can’t wait to read it!!! It sounds like it’ll be really funny!!! = ]

Avatar Image says:

Grrr, wish I hade enough money. I’d bid ten times higher! It’s worth 100 times that this is JK Rowling! Can’t wait to read it!

Avatar Image says:

Like others here, I expected it to go for much more too! But hey, every penny counts for charity and to my US friends, dont forget £1 is close to $2 so thats $50k going to charity.

Now I want to read that card now, right now, this minute….

Avatar Image says:

So when can we read them?? Its like…something like 2am wed morning in london now….so will we be able to read the story in a few hours of tomorrow??

Avatar Image says:

So when can we read them?? Its like…something like 2am wed morning in london now….so will we be able to read the story in a few hours or tomorrow??

Avatar Image says:

Yay! I like squee-d for ten minutes after hearing the excerpt (read beautifully by Lizo, I may add). I can’t wait to read the story. It will be so amazingly awesome! And to all those people saying its not a lot, I mean, come on. This is about twice the size of your average index card, and raked in almost $50,000! Only JKR could rake in that much for a note card. Anyway, can’t wait for tomorrow!

Avatar Image says:

Congrats on the sale. I have pre-ordered three sets of the cards, one for me, two as gifts.

Thanks Mrs. Rowling.

Avatar Image says:

I am so excited that Jo could raise 25k for the charty. Something is weighing heavy on me and I need to say it. I believe that Leaky is being a little irresponsible in headlining this and reporting this as a prequel. This is in Jo’s own words, “An excerpt from a prequel I am not writing…” This is an excerpt and should not be reported as a prequel. 800 words or no inside the article does not legitimize the headline or the article stating that this is a prequel.

Avatar Image says:

Oh my gosh, that is so great!!! I wasn’t expecting a post-Hogwarts adventure of James and Sirius! :)

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I am quite impressed. Yet, I am most excited to read read read!

sdfjsdlfjsdlfjsldfjsdf

Avatar Image says:

can’t wait to read it. they should totally put this scene in one of the new movies. it won’t be in chronological order, but it could still be a flashback, or memory- ANYTHING!! it could possibly be a great starting scene for movie #8

Avatar Image says:

That is VERY impressive, for an 800 word card! I think you’re right, erictipton, it is a bit “erroneous” to label it “a prequel”...anyway, for those who think that “Pottermania is declining”, I don’t think so! IMHO, it’s even bigger. It’s just not quite as “vocal”...I imagine that those, bidding on this AND Beadle The Bard, were not children! It shows just how many adults enjoy Harry! Good on you, Jo! You’re a wonder. :D

Avatar Image says:

Sue, I meant to thank you, for such great reporting! Leaky is always the best, and YOU are the “best of the best!” :D

Avatar Image says:

haha, i’m so used to avoiding potter spoilers before things are released that this post made me really anxious. they officially have me trained :P

Avatar Image says:

i love ron weasley and yay!! so much $$$ for charity- thats really good, cant wait to read it! SQUEE!! ( that ones for you sue, melissa, john, frak) :)

Hem hem.

Hey all you Harry/Ginny fans, an HBP photo has surfaced online of Harry and Ginny hugging. Enjoy!

OMG thanks Ashley…...Does fangirl squee

Avatar Image says:

okay, if you live in the US can you still pre order from Waterstone?

Avatar Image says:

That’s a bit less, just thinking…anyway, I’m glad they manaed to raise money for the charities!

Avatar Image says:

Fantastic!! It`s great to have raised so much for charity. Can`t wait to read the full version.

Speak Up, Lizo!