J.K. Rowling: A British National Treasure?

Jun 27, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The Sunday Telegraph and the British Library have launched a new online contest to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the library’s opening at its new site in St Pancras, in London, England. Open to the public, they are seeking votes on who should be considered a National Treasure in various categories such as the Sciences, Innovation and Enterprise, and Public Life, Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling is among those nominated in the Arts category. This category will win the Bronte Award, and is for those who “are the entertainers, the showmen and women who make us laugh, cry, scream and shout. ” If you are so inclined, you may vote for these awards via this link. Others nominated in this category include Dame Judi Dench, Dame Helen Mirren, Sir Ian McKellen, David Hockney, Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Anthony Hopkins. These awards are due to be presented in September.

13 Responses to J.K. Rowling: A British National Treasure?

I voted. Go Jo!

Avatar Image says:

She made me laugh through Ron`s sarcasm, the Weasley twins’ jokes, etc., cry when I thought HP had died, scream when I got my DH book, and shout when I … got my DH book!

(: Perfect! She definitely deserves to win IMO.

GO JO!!!!

She does deserve to win IMO

Avatar Image says:

If you’re also inclined, you can vote for Stephen Fry (the UK audiobook narrator) in the Magna-Carta section

Avatar Image says:

Jo has certaintly made me laugh, cry, scream, and shout many a time. She certaintly deserves to win. She’s trailing Dame Judy Dench by 2% right now. As lovely an actress as Judy Dench is, GO VOTE FOR JO!

Avatar Image says:

Well— I would think that would be a given—of course she is!

i think she would be even inter-national

Avatar Image says:

And I also see that in the “Public life, Magna Carta” category, Stephen Fry is a long way ahead.

Avatar Image says:

Apart from JK, only Anthony Hopkins has stirred my emotions in different ways. I think he is the greatest actor in the world. I sometimes wonder why he was never approached for any Harry Potter roles. But of course JK is the one to vote for and deservedly too, not just because we are fans.

Avatar Image says:

I love how when I first went there Jo was third or forth at 9% of the vote but then Leaky (and probably mugglecast) puts up a news item and she goes up to first place at 41% :D

Avatar Image says:

JK deserves to win. She is awsome. She’s winning by alot now. I voted for her like seventeen times.

Avatar Image says:

I voted Jo! I hope you are honored as a National Treasure – but everyone knows you are, even if you don’t win the award. I already consider you a Cultural Ambassador of Scotland!

Hey Helyx

Jo is English, in fact very, very English !

Hy Helyx

Jo is English, in fact very, very English !

Write a Reply or Comment