Join Reading of “The Amber Spyglass” in Jo’s Book Nook

124

Jul 13, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Our non-Harry Potter book club, Jo’s Book Nook, has picked up the next novel to read, discuss, and analyze as part of this Leaky Lounge open book club experience. Starting today, those interested may join in the reading of “The Amber Spyglass” by Phillip Pullman, the third book in the Dark Materials trilogy. All Leaky Lounge members are invited to join in this fun, thought-provoking, and in-depth reading with your fellow Loungers. Interested members can jump right into the discussion via this link. “The Amber Spyglass” is also available through our own Cauldron Shop right here. Enjoy!

18 Responses to Join Reading of “The Amber Spyglass” in Jo’s Book Nook

Avatar Image says:

Cool, I’ll have to check it out.

Avatar Image says:

I have read this book and would be willing to read it again but I don’t understand how the book club thingy works. :(

Avatar Image says:

I loved that book. Not as much as DH, but I sure loved it!

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know if I should, I cried my eyes out the last time I read Amber Spyglass, sniff I don’t wanna open old wounds sniff

Avatar Image says:

I read the trio of books, and liked them immensly, my only problem was, my five year old ripped the last two chapters out of the Amber spyglass, so I never found out what happend to Lyra and Will. I dont think Pan had even come back yet, come to think of it.

Avatar Image says:

haha already in the middle of the book it for the first time. I really hope they decide to finish the movie trilogy :(

Avatar Image says:

Jess, the non-Harry Potter Book Clubs are just one of the Leaky forums, the Amber Spyglass is at

There’s no sorting or doing anything to join, all you have to do is read some of the topics and start posting. Look forward to seeing you there :)

Avatar Image says:

I’m not sure JKR, as a Christian, would approve of you reading the amber spyglass ‘in her name’ as it were. It’s not a nice book. Very angry (the book, not me or JKR)

Avatar Image says:

The Amber Spyglass was too emotional and I didn’t like the ending that much.

@zceepy

Jo has recommended HSM trilogy. She has said “Philip Pullman is a writer I very much admire. . . I think he’s amazing.” It does offend some Christians, but then so does HP and she obviously doesn’t have a problem with it.

I love this trilogy and in fact I think The Amber Spyglass is my favourite of the three books, so I will defnitely come along to the Book Nook :)

Avatar Image says:

aw, i just finished this book a few weeks ago! but as a recommendation, i’d suggest reading “once upon a time in the north” afterwards: it’s the prequel story of lee scoresby and iorek byrnison meeting and becoming friends. a lot of fun.

Avatar Image says:

I picked this book up at the library today after reading your recommendations. All I have to say is how happy I am that I didn’t waste my money! I was outraged at the author’s remarks about “The Authority.” I love fantasy fiction, and I am not easily offended by other people’s views… but I feel that this goes over the line. Pullman is obviously trying to shove his own beliefs on to other people and as the reader I wish to be entertained, not converted. I am returning this crap first thing in the morning!

Avatar Image says:

Unlike Harry Potter, HDM was actually meant as a direct attack on Christian beliefs… Harry Potter was not, say, an evangelistic tool to push Christianity, but its content is mostly pro-christian (or pro-faith in general)

The most I read of the trilogy is a few lines out of “The Subtle knife” talking about how the church just wants to supress every good feeling (every good feeling, of course, being sex, because the church is, of course, so anti-sex, thats’ why they celebrate children and weddings are such huge galas and many churches hold retreats for couples to find their passion again…)

I have heard the gist of the rest of it. Not a fan. I mean, there is so much I don’t like about these books… Harry Potter may have taken some time to get to some of its better points (forgiveness of Snape, for instance) but in the end, it’s so far above and removed from the sort of things Pullman tried to push, the two shouldn’t even be compared.

J.K. Rowling probably appreciates his writing style, and respects him as a fellow author. I doubt she agrees with half the things he tries to push.

Avatar Image says:

“Tried to push”? Are you all five years old? Do you automatically assume for yourself whatever view a writer espouses? Most of us are too intelligent for that.

@bob the duck

Even if Jo does not agree with Pullman’s beliefs, I doubt that she is stubborn enough to refuse to read a good book. You can still enjoy a book even if you don’t agree with the message behind it – and I really enjoyed it, even though I am a Christian.

Avatar Image says:

I find it both amusing and disturbing that the outrage surrounding “His Dark Materials” and the efforts of people to dissuade others from reading Pullman is precisely the kind of mind control and prejudice that he rails against in the books themselves. When you have a religious institution that tells people what they should and should not read, or what films they should and should not see - and its members are willing to be led in that regard - of course they’re going to be appalled when someone dares question that institution…We’re not born narrow minded, it’s bred into us.

Avatar Image says:

I have read all three of these books, and I can say, as a Christian, that I thoroughly enjoyed them. Sure there are things in the books that I don’t agree with, but I just overlooked them, and thought if that’s what he believes, I feel sorry for the man. If you don’t focus on some of the more outrageous comments he makes in the books, than it is a very nice book.

Avatar Image says:

I am not Christian, and I don’t follow any religous structure blindly, but I still feel that this author is inappropriate for the “Young Adult” market. I don’t agree with the censorship of books, but this should fall into an adult catergory. Also to Avid reader, I think the words of ‘bobtheduck” were written with much more eliquence and intellect.

Write a Reply or Comment