Dr. Horrible Learned Evil from Voldemort

Jul 18, 2008

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

Bit of a light note tonight: this week, you can watch Dr. Horrible, a free Internet musical by Joss Whedon and his brothers and associates (Joss Whedon wrote Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Serenity, and is working on a TV series called Dollhouse).

Dr. Horrible (played by Neil Patrick Harris) is a goober “supervillain” who…shall we say…didn’t graduate summa cum evil. He pines for the girl while pulling heists, broadcasts his evil plans publicly, and lives in the beefy shadow of a ham-handed hero named Captain Hammer.

And he’s a Harry Potter fan. Check it out (with much thanks to arcana-j for the grab).

Yes, there are two copies each of Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows on Dr. Horrible’s bookshelf. We wonder what he might have learned from the snake-eyed one. The art of the blustery I’m So Evil speech, perhaps? The narrative virtue of a flawed plan? Certainly the books instructed in the importance of the Evil Laugh.

Though this villain comes off like more of a Neville than a Voldy, we were delighted to find this here and hope you’ll watch and enjoy these hilarious videos before they go away. Whedon, the creator, is an ardent Potter fan and praises them whenever he can – lets return the favor. This musical will Disapparate from the Internet on JULY 20, and after that will only be available on iTunes in the US (for $3.99) and later, on DVD. Enjoy!

PS: If you have seen other fun appearances or mentions of Harry, send them to hpsightings@the-leaky-cauldron.org.

42 Responses to Dr. Horrible Learned Evil from Voldemort

Wow! Neil Patrick Harris and HP

Should be interesting…

Avatar Image says:

Haha, yay Joss ! I didn’t notice the books at all.

Avatar Image says:

OMG! that is ssssssooooooo kool!!!!!! i always get a kick out of seeing harry potter in places other then the web or my bookself or tv screen.

but i think it very insulting that some book stores but HP in the child section! i mean think of all the scary things that happen in those books!!!!!! small kids can never fully appreciate the wonder of Harry Potter.

Avatar Image says:

NPH, HP, and it’s a musical! Doesn’t get any better! Whee-hoo! Check it out!

Avatar Image says:

NPH, HP and it’s a musical! Doesn’t GET any better! Whee-hoo! Check it out!!!!

Dr Horrible is so funny!

AWESOME! XD LOL

Avatar Image says:

I love this show! But I didn’t realize you could watch it for free… I bought Act I & II from iTunes!

Too funny. HP forever!

Avatar Image says:

Sounds funny. Thanks for the tip!

P.S. Just wanted to register my appreciation of the word-craft in this news piece. It’s a good little read, Melissa! And, since I love cheesy humor more and more with each passing year, the “summa cum evil” line made me smile. :)

Avatar Image says:

Not to ruin the mood here, but the entire set is actually a real home. One of the guys who reside there is on my LJ flist. (Met him because of the production though. So, we’re not friends or anything – we just chat every once in a while.) I’m pretty certain every little aspect of the ‘set’ is as it was before Whedon & company got there. Yes, all the ‘science stuff’, not to mention, the humongous chair. :) Him and his roommate have been saying it’s weird to watch this and be all “hey, look, there’s our mail!” and “there’s my lightsaber!”, etc… Heh.

Avatar Image says:

hah! That’s even better! (we figured it wasn’t really planted there for thesical’s sake, it’s just too cute a joke to pass on :)

Avatar Image says:

I’m a big fan of Firefly (and Serenity), so thanks for this link. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two acts. I can’t wait for last act!

Everyone here go buy Firefly on DVD – best show ever

Avatar Image says:

It’s a great internetmusical, I love it. NPH is amazing, Nathan Fillion is rally funny, Felicia Day is great. I’m such a Whedon-fan! :P

Avatar Image says:

It’s obvious that Joss Whedon is a Harry Potter fan too. He had characters on Buffy make Harry Potter references several times during the show’s run.

Avatar Image says:

I should also add that Joss Whedon also created ANGEL, which was a spinoff of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

LOL! This is hilarious!

When Captain Hammer was on the screen, all I kept hearing in my head was John saying “Mr Hammer” on PotterCast! ;)

Oh, and I agree with Arithmancer – this article was entertaining in and of itself. Thanks, Melissa!

Avatar Image says:

Too cool! ROFL. I agree with Bookworm. Thatis soooo funny! Thanks, Melissa. You’ve done it again!

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t notice that! I was probably busy laughing too hard. Must got watch Acts I & II again! (Like I need an excuse for that!) Whedon and Potter, my two favorite things!

Avatar Image says:

Aahhh! Loved it! Too funny! Who knew NPH could sing! He was really cute with (didn’t catch her name). I want to see more. Can’t wait to see part 3!

Avatar Image says:

JW is a demi-god, IMO, and right up there with JKR. Maybe it’s the “J” factor? He’s on my “must see” list for Comic Con.

And Natha Fillion’s easy on the eyes, too!

Avatar Image says:

The guy who comes in after NPH finishes singing the first song reminds me of the guy from the Big Bang Theory.. NPH+HP+musical+comedy=DR.HORRIBLE!!! This is hilarious.

Avatar Image says:

And this is why I will love Joss Whedon forever and ever. He is such a HP nerd.

Avatar Image says:

Didn’t see the HP, but that was freaking hilarious! I heart Joss Whedon.

Avatar Image says:

Maggie – That’s because he is the guy from “Big Bang Theory”.

I’m really loving the show. I’m downloading the iTunes, and when the DVD comes out, I’ll be getting that too. Apparently the DVD will have two commentaries. One of them will be all musical and is called “Commentary!”

Avatar Image says:

Thanks so much for this Melissa it is sooo funny! I Love Firefly and Serenity it is the only other thing besides potter that makes the people I live with go UGH again?? LOL!

Avatar Image says:

Check out the last photo in this NOR article http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92678153

Avatar Image says:

Check out the last photo in this NPR article http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92678153

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone have a timecode for WHERE in those clips the HP books appear? I don’t really want to watch all the way through just for one shot.

Avatar Image says:

Okay, so I’m finally having a chance to watch Part I, and I have say: It ROCKS. Oh. My. Gosh. x)

Avatar Image says:

@rcs: I’m watching Act II now, and there’s a good view of the Potter books around 12:25 (and following). But I’d suggest watching the whole thing, if you have time; it’s quite entertaining! It’s in three segments, and the first two have been only about 13 minutes apiece.

Avatar Image says:

I live where this was filmed.

There are two copies of Half Blood Prince because there are four people in the house and we each bought our own…. Some of us bought two. We’re bad at sharing.

Avatar Image says:

Having watched Act III for now the 4th or 5th time (see, I’m not just HP obsessed!) I have to say: I do think there are some great tie-ins from Dr. Horrible’s character to the HP-verse. I don’t want to spoil, so I won’t list them. But I would LOVE to hear the PotterCast Quartet discuss them on an upcoming show. (Really, they’re there. Especially if you pull the concept of CHOICES into the mix. And Love, the power of.)

Thanks so much for pointing out the books! If anyone’s watching at home, the best shot I could find was as 12:39 into Act II.

Avatar Image says:

This musical was very well done. The acting, the writing, and most of all the singing. I throughly enjoyed it and am telling people to watch it today while they can for free! Catchy tunes too!

Avatar Image says:

That was brilliant, I wasn’t expecting it to be that good… And I didn’t know Neil Patrick Harris could sing. I was actually surprised how it ended…. It was quite sad. I love how the ‘Harry Potter’ books were on the shelf, and did anyone notice that, on the shelf right next to the books, was a Wii remote?

Also, I just have to get this out of my system: Replace “Caption” with “Mr.”. Ha ha!

Avatar Image says:

wow never noticed that those books were on there.lol I am a total harry potter fan read all the books at least 3-4 times,

Avatar Image says:

That was so much fun to watch. I hope they make more.

Avatar Image says:

I’d been following this series for a little while now…I totally didn’t notice the books! I found it because I have the biggest crush on Felicia…been watching her Youtube Videos…The Guild is hilarious is you’re a gamer (which Felicia wrote, produced and acted in). And she has a few other shorts. She’s probably best known for her Cheetos advert.

Avatar Image says:

I just watched the whole thing, I LOVE Joss Whedon musicals!

SHINY!

Avatar Image says:

I noticed a couple people saying that the set was an actual home. I was wondering, does anyone know where the giant chair came from? That is one of my favorite props in the whole show!

Write a Reply or Comment