Reminder: 10th Anniversary “Sorcerer’s Stone” Due Next Month

112

Aug 20, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

A reminder today that just over a month from now on September 23, Scholastic will issue the special ten year anniversary edition of “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.” In preparation for the release, US Harry Potter publishers Scholastic have now added a special bookmark that you can download and print out featuring the new cover to the book, which you can do via this link (pdf). Be sure to check out the lovely new artwork from Mary GrandPre here. As we reported previously, this special edition of the first in the Harry Potter series, “will feature exclusive bonus material from J.K. Rowling.” Pre-orders for the book are available here in our Cauldron Shop.

On a related note, pre-orders for “The Tales of Beedle the Bard” continue to be strong. Thanks to reader Roonwit, who let us know about the Amazon UK sales meter, showing pre-orders of the special deluxe edition of the book are taking a slight edge over the standard edition of the book. “The Tales of Beedle the Bard” will be released December 4, 2008 with proceeds to benefit the Children’s High Level Group charity. The Collector’s Edition is available for pre-order here ($100 USD), with the standard edition available for pre-order here($7.59 USD). As a reminder, these tales were originally mentioned in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” with this book to contain all of the tales, as well as new material from J.K. Rowling. In case you missed it previously, the description of what we can look forward to in the book appears as follows on the Scholastic website:

‘The stories are accompanied by delightful pen-and-ink illustrations by Ms. Rowling herself, featuring a still-life frontispiece for each one. Professor Dumbledore’s commentary”apparently written some eighteen months before his death”reveals not just his vast knowledge of Wizarding lore, but also more of his personal qualities: his sense of humor, his courage, his pride in his abilities, and his hard-won wisdom. Names familiar from the Harry Potter novels sprinkle the pages, including Aberforth Dumbledore, Lucius Malfoy and his forebears, and Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington (or “Nearly Headless Nick”), as well as other professors at Hogwarts and the past owners of the Elder Wand. Dumbledore tells us of incidents unique to the Wizarding world, like hilariously troubled theatrical productions at Hogwarts or the dangers of having a “hairy heart.” But he also reveals aspects of the Wizarding world that his Muggle readers might find all too familiar, like censorship, intolerance, and questions about the deepest mysteries in life.’

17 Responses to Reminder: 10th Anniversary “Sorcerer’s Stone” Due Next Month

Avatar Image says:

first post (my first ever!) :) i can’t wait for both of these books!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve already preordered SS but I’m hoping for a midnight release party for Beedle the Bard! crosses fingers expectantly

awesome! bookmark printed:D

Avatar Image says:

When I pre-ordered my Tales of the beedle and the bard the guy at Borders told me There would be a midnight release, but does anyone know about the 10th anniversary addition if there will be one too?

Avatar Image says:

No offence to Americans, but why do you guys get a special edition with new material and no one else does?

One, does anyone know what this new material actually is? And two, will anywhere else in the world get this special edition?

Avatar Image says:

at least any1 in the world can order Beetle the Bard now, thank goodness J.K. Rowling loves to do so much for the series!

Avatar Image says:

umm… the special edition is available everywhere. It’s exclusive to amazon though, so you just have to go to the amazon website for your country (america – amazon.com, UK – amazon.co.uk, Canada – amazon.ca, etc.)

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I was talking about the ten year edition. Why is only America/Scholastic getting this and no where else is…

Avatar Image says:

Weasel I’m in the UK and I ordered SS from Amazon – there’s no way I’m missing out on NEW MATERIAL!!

PS I’m glad that the HBP countdown on leaky has been updated… but it still makes me sad everytime I look at it =( I can’t believe there’s a whole 330 days cries

Avatar Image says:

Does anyone know if this speical edition will be sold in bookstores?

Avatar Image says:

I would warn against expecting too much in the way of “exclusive bonus material”, because I don’t think Jo would make important stuff like new story text available in the US edition but not the UK and other editions. It is more likely to relate to Jo herself, such as her favourite books (which was what the 21st Anniversary of Bloomsbury edition of PS contained).

Avatar Image says:

Weasel-it looks like the American publisher decided on a 10 year speical SS and the UK publishers did not. I wish they both would do one I like to collect both the US and UK books. You can order the American version online through Amazon.com I order all the UK book from Amazon UK and I live in America. I just ordered Beddle on Amazon UK becuse they have a different cover then out US one.

Avatar Image says:

Are they going to release special 10 year editions for all of the books? I hope so!

Avatar Image says:

The artwork is breathtaking, I love her style. It’s nice to see first-year Harry again from her hand after the series is complete.

Avatar Image says:

I hate her style. The bendy twists of the joints and the “golly, gee!” look on their faces. I hate the softness of it. I really wish this series had a different artist.

Avatar Image says:

I am very excited about “The Tales of Beedle the Bard.” I’ve already preordered it and I can’t wait!

The tenth anniversary edition of “Sorcerer’s Stone” looks really great, too. I love the artwork on all of my HP books, and this one looks awesome as well. My copy of book 1 is really worn out, with the pages detached from the spine. (I’m still reading it, though, of course.)

I wish I knew what the bonus material was. If it’s more story, I would love to get the anniversary edition right away. Otherwise, I don’t know. I’m getting “Brisingr” right when it comes out, on September 20th, so I may wait to get the anniversary edition of “Sorcerer’s Stone” depending on what the bonus material is.

Avatar Image says:

Only America is getting this because this will be the 10th anniversary of its publication there. That was over a year after Bloomsbury published Philosopher’s Stone in the UK in 1997. roonwit referred to the slightly special edition they put out in 2007, as part of their own 21st anniversary celebrations.

Write a Reply or Comment