Scholastic Celebrates Anniversary with “Cover to Cover” Readathon Webcast

112

Aug 20, 2008

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

To celebrate the 10-year-anniversary of the publication of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Scholastic is holding a live read-a-thon at their New York City store on Sept. 23. Fans of all ages are invited to sit in the throne that J.K. Rowling used at her Carnegie Hall readings and read from the first Harry Potter book. The event will be broadcast on scholastic.com/readharry.

The read-a-thon starts at 8 a.m. Each fan who sits on the throne and reads aloud will receive a commemorative anniversary souvenir; the first 100 fans to do so will receive a free copy of the special anniversary edition.

“We thrilled to celebrate the first decade of Harry Potter’s magical influence on books and reading, right here at Scholastic headquarters’ says Ellie Berger, President of Trade Books, Scholastic. “What makes this anniversary special is seeing readers who have grown up with Harry celebrating alongside a new generation of readers who will just be beginning their Hogwarts journey.”

Sept. 23 is also the day that the anniversary edition will be available in stores. The book features exclusive bonus material from J.K. Rowling, as well as a new cover and four-color frontispiece by Mary GrandPré. The special anniversary cover of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone depicts 11-year-old Harry looking into the Mirror of Erised.

To participate in “Harry Potter Cover to Cover Day’ participants should come to Scholastic Headquarters at 557 Broadway (between Prince and Spring St.) in Soho, New York. Reading starts at 8:00 a.m. (est.) and goes until the last page is read.

All participants under 18 must be present with a parent or guardian.

19 Responses to Scholastic Celebrates Anniversary with “Cover to Cover” Readathon Webcast

Avatar Image says:

:O I wish I lived near New York – that is so cool. I’ll watch it online instead though!

First comment?

Avatar Image says:

I’m THERE! That sounds awesome! And I really want the collector’s edition of the book, so I hope I’m one of the first 100!

Avatar Image says:

I’m so with you mugglequeen. I wish I was anywhere near enough to drive to New York. That would be so awesome just to be there. I guess the internet will have to suffice.

Avatar Image says:

I live near NYC, but I’m not sure I’m in town that day.

If I am, I’m there… Hope I’ll be one of the 1st 100.

Avatar Image says:

This is cool, however, September 23 is a date when kids have school…So, not a lot of people might go. I REALLY REALLY want to go, but my parents would never let me skip school!

Wrong choice of a date scholastic, wrong choice…

Avatar Image says:

YAY>>>>>>>>MY birthday is september 23!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im askin for that book 4 my b-day!

Avatar Image says:

This is so AWESOME!! The anniversary edition is agreat idea and the cover looks faboulus:) pity i don’t live in the us :(

Avatar Image says:

Nice! It makes a change to have some good news after the film nonsense of the last week!

I hope everyone that will lucky enough to go has a great time!!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I bet this would be an amazing experience, I wish I lived in New York.

Avatar Image says:

I wish that I lived nearer to New York, that seems really cool. I’m not that far away, only in California! ;) I wish that for things like this they would do a tour like how they did with the Knight Bus before the release of Deathly Hallows. It would be amazing to sit in that chair that Jo read from. I’ll be watching it from the webcast, since I obviously won’t be there in person.

Avatar Image says:

That sounds like so much fun! Unfortunately, as I live near Seattle instead of New York . . .

Ah, well. For any of you lucky enough to participate, please take pics and share, or at least share what it was like.

Avatar Image says:

It’s times like these that make me kick myself for living on the COMPLETELY wrong continent! Ah well, at least I have the webcast – It’ll be tons of fun watching all those people having fun and enjoying a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity while I’m stuck half way across the world…...

Avatar Image says:

will there be a special cover for britain as well? hope so

Avatar Image says:

Oh, I so wish I lived in New York! Why do they get to do all the fun stuff?

Avatar Image says:

Too bad I have school that day, I could have probably taken a 2 hour train ride and be there. :(

Avatar Image says:

Niiiice! I live like four blocks from there! I do have class though… but this is more important, right?

Avatar Image says:

It doesn’t matter if you don’t live in NY or in the US. We all buy the book that day, watch online and read at the same time. How cool is that? Harry will once again shift the planet to a big smile :)

Avatar Image says:

This is the coolest freekin thing EVER!! Michael the 10 year anniversary of the publication of PS in the UK would have been last year as it was published here in 1997 as opposed to 1998 in the US. So due to the madness of book 7, Bloomsbury lost that window of opportunity. Guess we’ll have to wait till the 25th anniversary for anything this cool. Le Poo

Avatar Image says:

Just a 3 hour drive and I’m there! :) I’ve read all of the books aloud to my parents for the past ten years, multiple times. This would be sooo much fun!

Write a Reply or Comment