Wizarding World of Harry Potter Theme Park Update

115

Aug 23, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

There two pieces of news online regarding the “Wizarding World of Harry Potter” theme park currently under construction at Universal in Orlando, Florida. First up, a new blog via the Orlando Sentinel has a handful of new photos online which show the continued construction of structures for the upcoming Harry Potter attraction. The report notes that much of the activity seen in these photos is taking place adjacent to the Island of Adventure “Dueling Dragons” roller coaster, where a large wall has been put up to shield the construction. The full set of photos can be viewed here.

Next, the Orlando Weekly newspaper has a report online detailing some of the things that will be part of the Harry Potter theme park. While the article mostly reiterates previously released information, it does go into some detail about the structures and rides in the works, thanks to patent filings. The article reports:

Work is well underway: The Flying Unicorn coaster is behind construction walls, the gorgeous Enchanted Oak restaurant is rubble, and the massive superstructure of Hogwarts Castle already towers over the rear of Jurassic Park. While the framework indicates an enormous volume, it doesn’t yet approach the height of Cinderella’s Castle; in order to achieve the effect indicated in concept art, I predict guests will enter through “cliffs” at the base of the magical school, with the castle itself mostly a forced-perspective mega-miniature mounted atop the show building. For an idea of what might be inside that enormous space, read U.S. Patent No. 6796908, which describes an interactive Harry Potter dark ride in which tourists use RFID-enabled electronic “magic wands” to “cast spells” that affect the outcome of the attraction.

Elsewhere in Potterworld, you’ll find the Three Broomsticks pub-restaurant and other money-spending opportunities, all behind snow-covered Hogsmeade Village facades (crafted by local scenic arts shop Nassal Co.). The Flying Unicorn kiddie-coaster will be re-themed to one of Hagrid’s magical creatures, and Dueling Dragons’ elaborate castle queue will be redecorated (hopefully not destroyed) around a wizarding competition. What’s less certain: the details of “Project Strongarm’ the next-generation “RoboCoaster” that is supposed to be new area’s E-Ticket. After Universal contracted Kuka to attraction exclusivity on their latest robot arm technology, Hill sparked reports of a “flying car” ride based on the Weasleys’ Ford Anglia from the Chamber of Secrets. More recently, American Scenic briefly released (and quickly retracted) designs depicting a benchlike vehicle navigating the Forbidden Forest, an Acromantula nest, the Basilisk’s lair and other environments from the second novel…

The article also notes that the Harry Potter attraction “may preview as early as Christmas 2009 and officially will open summer 2010.” As we reported previously, the “Wizarding World of Harry Potter” theme park is slated to open sometime in late 2009, or early 2010.

48 Responses to Wizarding World of Harry Potter Theme Park Update

Avatar Image says:

I think I’ll go when I graduate in 2010. lol I made my friend go on Flying Unicorn kiddie-coaster just so I could see what I think was Hogwarts. =P

Avatar Image says:

yay i can’t wait for the theme park!!

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait for this theme park! Although, I live in the UK.. i’m going over for a holiday! Yay!

Avatar Image says:

Dudee! I cannot wait to skip school, fly over to Florida, and go there! :D It’s going to be AWESOMEEE!

Avatar Image says:

wow…i’m pretty up in commenting so proud of my self.. themepark!!! yay!! i’m SO going….. to the preview its only like what a 3 day drive??? haha

Cant Wait!!!

Avatar Image says:

WOOHOO!!!! looks like my flights alredi gettin booked now!! i am SO ther cum 2010!! n i myt get 2 miss skool!!! hw cool is that??!!!

I am SOOOO stoked!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

i cant wait its gonna be like stepping into the real imaginary world, i suppose. how awesome is THAT !!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow…I am now actually excited that I live in south florida! Yay!! I’m a teacher and i’m trying to find some excuse for a field trip to take my middle school students.

Avatar Image says:

I’m way excited! but I’m a little scared of being disappointed, hope they prove me wrong!

Avatar Image says:

This is so awesome, I can’t wait and I am sooo excited, I want to go there for my 16th birthday! its so sick!

Avatar Image says:

yay!! now i have an excuse to visit my relatives across the country!!! lol

Avatar Image says:

My kids are so excited to go! Were gonna skip school also. Too bad i’ll have to force my hubby to have fun! :P

Avatar Image says:

Oh my gosh..i go to Universal like every week. I’m soo excited for this park. I wish it would just open already. I’m totally going opening day!! I can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait…!!!! It’s awesome..-...I’m counting the days!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I so cant wait i lived in england and moved to austraila long trip for me but still!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Anybody willing to grant me food, water, a place to stay and some money for the airplane ticket, so I can go to the park? =~

see you all in 2010!!!

Avatar Image says:

So i was at universal last week and the construction was totally underway. It was wicked exciting to it starting. and all along the wall separating the construction zone from Jurassic Park and the Lost Continent were the best signs: “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, Coming 2010” and there were crests from each of the Hogwart’s houses on shields. I wanted to take pictures, but there were so many people in the park. But I can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

I am so going on Opening day! I was hoping to go for the preview but I dunno how I can get tickets for it…does anyone know?

Avatar Image says:

we’re going to have magic WANDS?????!!!!! eeeeeeeeep!

that’s the best part for me!

Avatar Image says:

Ahhh I so want to go to the park lol. I live in the UK though, so I’m going to have to find someone who will put a roof over my head if I’m going to fly over lol.

& Happy Birthday Rupert!

Avatar Image says:

i wouldnt listen to their release dates cuz ull know what theyll do DELAY IT !!!!

Avatar Image says:

!!!!!!! cant wait im going to wet myself those rides sound amazing !!!!!!!!! hoping its going to be bigger than disney land

oh MAN! I wish I had the money to fly half the world, just to go visit it :(

@ Linny

You don’t need a roof over your head: just hide in the Room of Requirement for the night or somethinge ;-)

Avatar Image says:

aaw i’ve been to universal 3 times, don’t think i’ll be able to go again even if i go to america again.. coz my mum wants to see different places instead of just orlando and stuff. :\ ah well..

Avatar Image says:

@ Emmy – I like the way you think :P I’m sure there will be a number of other international visitors kipping in there too hahh.

haha, losers!

i live 3 hours away from Orlando and only have to pay for gas. HAHAHA

btw, the last thing florida needs are MORE tourists.

just wait until they build one in england

Avatar Image says:

I already have a plane becuase i already go up to Orlando every summer. I am so Siked!!!!! This is going to be great. :D

Avatar Image says:

Dude I don’t care if orlando is 3.5 hours away, I’m so forcing my friends to take a weekend road trip with me in 2010 just for this.

Avatar Image says:

Sounds like they want to release it to correspond with the end of the movies… Makes sense… Hope potter fever doesn’t die down by that point. Maybe WB will shoot some stuff for the bike chase and release it on the net as a holdover for fans… I mean, that’d be a way to ask forgiveness… Maybe do a “Beedle the Bard” series… Perhaps a chapter out of “Quidditch through the ages” Nah, that’d be too much (I believe I remember hearing that Quidditch is way to complicated to shoot, and very expensive)

We won’t see anything on the HP universe on the movie end for another year…

Avatar Image says:

I’m really hoping it will still open as planned sometime around Christmas 09. I’ve already got a group of friends and we’re all planning on going during Christmas break!!!

LOL@Katie…

BTW,I live 2 hours away from Orlando!! : )

Avatar Image says:

I’m really excited about it! I’ve avoided going on a trip to the U.S. for quite a few years now, cuz I know I can’t afford to go twice in the near future and I MUST – repeat, MUST – go to the Potter Theme Park!

Avatar Image says:

this sounds like its gonna be amazin! I think i’m going to have to find a way to tag a wee jaunt to florida onto the back of my south american adventure, so much saving to do but at least the £’s relatively strong right?

Avatar Image says:

Wouldn’t it be awesome to work there?

Avatar Image says:

I’m taking a bit of a grumpy perspective on this – what numbskull decided to make Hogwarts castle a miniature? Oh yes, sure, of course you get to “visit your favorite areas of Hogwarts castle”, but they handily neglected to mention you’d be doing it by walking into the side of a miniature display. How incredibly disappointing! Why not aim to create something breathtaking and awe-inspiring that would have captivated visitors for decades to come, and even make them want to come back? Oh no, let’s save all the construction money for the shops, people will spend their money there after all…grumblegrumble...

Avatar Image says:

Just by reading the comments, I realized how old I am…but I don’t care! My Potter Peeps and I will be going to the park anyway!

Avatar Image says:

yayayayay! so excited!! can not wait!!

Kildare,

I’ll sneak in at night when the park is closed and build a bunch of extra rooms on their mini-Hogwarts, making it not-so-mini!! I really hope they don’t choose to do that, though. That would suck.

Avatar Image says:

HAHA ive got a private jet so i can fly from aus to orlando and were building a holiday house there BTW the house is 30minutes from the park and is huge cant wait

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats all.

Avatar Image says: i am so excited for this park i love harry potter, but i have to admit im nervous it wont meet my expectations.. i might cry if it doesnt lol.Avatar Image says: I cant wait to go.. It is going to be fun!!!!Avatar Image says: This is going to be AWESOME! I can't wait to go! Me and my friend are going to start saving now! lolAvatar Image says: OMG I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!! I WISH IT WOULD OPEN ALREADY!!!

Write a Reply or Comment