Jo’s Book Nook Opens Reading of “To Kill A Mockingbird”

124

Aug 09, 2008

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

It is time once again to dust off your classics, for Jo’s Book Nook is now starting to read the Harper Lee novel “To Kill a Mockingbird.” Our Non-Harry Potter Book opens up today with the reading of this book which examines life in the deep south during the 1930s. This book club is open to all registered Leaky Lounge members who would be interested in joining in the discussion and examining the themes, characters, and messages in the novel. To join in the discussion, please click here. Those who do not yet have this novel, can find it for sale via our own Cauldron Shop. The reading of “To Kill A Mockingbird” runs through September 6th.

18 Responses to Jo’s Book Nook Opens Reading of “To Kill A Mockingbird”

Avatar Image says:

I read this in my freshman year of high school. Good book.

Avatar Image says:

i have to read it this year (junior) soo, hopefully this’ll help me.

Avatar Image says:

I have very fond memories of this book which Iread nearly 30 years ago at school. I bought a copy then and read it several times. unfortunately my copy is long missing after several moves an have been unable to find it in local book shops. Is it still available in the Uk? I would love to re read it after so long.

Avatar Image says:

heart this book!!!!! also, in the olympic spirit, to kill a mocking bird is michael phelps’ (the beastly swimmer) favorite book. vive xe

Avatar Image says:

An all-around great book.

Avatar Image says:

I had to read in my 10x english class and is one of my favorite book i read out for of them i had to read. It is a great book to read

Avatar Image says:

I had to read in my 10x english class and is one of my favorite books i read out for of them i had to read. It is a great book to read

Avatar Image says:

I had to read in my 10x english class and is one of my favorite books i read out four of them i had to read. It is a great book to read

Avatar Image says:

tgfoy: Yes, I’m in the UK and it is still very much available here, in fact I have two copies – one to read and one to scribble in lol

taylor: I didn’t know it was Michael Phelps’ favourite book, that’s really cool to know, so we have a new book club and we’re topical woo hoo! lol

Avatar Image says:

i read it 1st when i was 12!great book.i re read it again 2 years ago.amazing.always makes me so humble.

Awesome I’d love to reread this book, I haven’t read it since my GCSE year

Avatar Image says:

I read this in school years ago and loved it, and recently got it out of the library to read again. I just finished reading it again a couple of days ago! So I don’t think I’ll be joining the book club to read it again so soon.

Dear gang:

It made a fantastic movie. A great short story. Which it started out being by the way not a book.

Some money maker came to her that there was a fortune to be made making the short story into a book.

Having read both I can say the book is too long and drawn out making the writing look long enough. Jo Rowlings has the same problem. She takes seven short stories and turns them into 7 books.

Don’t get me wrong I have read all seven books more than once. Those whine that the books are not like the movies, thank God for that. All us Potter nuts would be asleep before the first 20 minutes. I also have all of the movies, which watched a 1000 each.

Perhaps 7 will make every one happy. To kill a mocking bird was perfect was they took a short story and made it a movie. Perfect.

Make two short stories for each part of 7 and it should be bang.

Sincerely,

Horas

Avatar Image says:

To Kill a mockingbird is one of the best books ever written… when you read the book it is easy to imagine JKR channeling AtticusFinch when she would write Albus Dumbledore… the two characters have very similar voices

Avatar Image says:

I’ve noticed that many people love “To Kill A Mockingbird”, but I have a completely different opinion. It may be a classic piece of literature, but I found it to be a bore. But then again, it could have something to do with that fact that I had to write two essays for each chapter. Nevertheless, I didn’t find it to have a good plot. It explains alot about the society and innocence of people, but I can’t find one bit of interest in the book. I apologize for writing a comment ful of complaints. I really do. I just wanted to simply voice an opinion.

Avatar Image says:

Many thanks Dreamteam, I will have a word with our local shop and order it.

Avatar Image says:

I love this book so much! It did nt bore me at all but kept me wanting so much more!

Avatar Image says:

Marie, If you are so inclined, try listening to the audio book, read by Sissy Spacek. It really came alive for me. And since you don’t have to write any essays, there is nothing riding on it. Or not.

I’d never read the book for school, and in a way, I’m glad. I might not have liked it if I HAD to read it. I read it for the first time at age 39, and LOVED it.

Write a Reply or Comment