Cover Art for German “Tales of Beedle the Bard”

113

Sep 13, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

We have several updates regarding the upcoming publication of “The Tales of Beedle the Bard” by J.K. Rowling. As readers know, this book, including the tales first mentioned in “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows,” is due to be published in the UK and US on December 4, 2008. Several international editions of the book are now due to be published on the same day, including a translation from Gallimard in France, and Salamandra in Spain. The book will also be published in Germany on the same date, and their publishers, Carlsen have posted the cover art to this new book, which you can see here in our galleries.

On a related note, recently Bloomsbury released a poster for retailers of the book, which you can also download at home via this link (PDF file). Readers should note that back in August the UK publishers fully integrated their Harry Potter website back into the main Bloomsbury site, but the information is still available for all, here. The separate “SWOT up on Harry Potter” mini-site still is available, here.

As a reminder, this companion book to the Harry Potter series will be published in December with proceeds to benefit The Children’s High Level Group charity. The Beedle the Bard book, which contains 128 pages, is available for pre-order here in our Cauldron Shop in both the Standard Edition, and the Collector’s Edition. Information about the book released by Scholastic includes the following:

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers’ attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, thanks to Hermione Granger’s new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes, and illustrations by J. K. Rowling, and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore. Never before have Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales: “The Wizard and the Hopping Pot’ “The Fountain of Fair Fortune’ “The Warlock’s Hairy Heart’ “Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump’ and of course, “The Tale of the Three Brothers.” But not only are they the equal of fairy tales we now know and love, reading them gives new insight into the world of Harry Potter.

The stories are accompanied by delightful pen-and-ink illustrations by Ms. Rowling herself, featuring a still-life frontispiece for each one. Professor Dumbledore’s commentary”apparently written some eighteen months before his death”reveals not just his vast knowledge of Wizarding lore, but also more of his personal qualities: his sense of humor, his courage, his pride in his abilities, and his hard-won wisdom. Names familiar from the Harry Potter novels sprinkle the pages, including Aberforth Dumbledore, Lucius Malfoy and his forebears, and Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington (or “Nearly Headless Nick”), as well as other professors at Hogwarts and the past owners of the Elder Wand. Dumbledore tells us of incidents unique to the Wizarding world, like hilariously troubled theatrical productions at Hogwarts or the dangers of having a “hairy heart.” But he also reveals aspects of the Wizarding world that his Muggle readers might find all too familiar, like censorship, intolerance, and questions about the deepest mysteries in life.

You can see a portion of what the back cover art looks like, here in our galleries, however note the back text has not yet been released.

Finally, the special Tenth Anniversary Edition of “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” officially due to be released Sept. 23 will contain a special frontispiece of Hagrid and the boats going to Hogwarts by artist Mary GrandPre. Although this has been released on the Scholastic website previously, we now have it our galleries in glorious high res, here.

Thanks to Harry Potter X-perts, UniversHarry Potter and Harry Latino for mailing about the international editions.

22 Responses to Cover Art for German “Tales of Beedle the Bard”

Avatar Image says:

Cool cover art! I don’t really like the UK one… 1st?

Avatar Image says:

No, I like the British cover art! It’s so much more sophisticated; I don’t like the American one, because it’s too cartoon-like, and doesn’t convey the gravitas appropriate to an aged book like this..

Avatar Image says:

I think i’m more excited for Melissa’s book than beedle at the moment!

Avatar Image says:

I’m going for the collectors edition! It will be my Christmas present to myself :)

Avatar Image says:

yeah I like the uk and german art much more than the US. new canon!

Avatar Image says:

I like the German cover art, but where can I see the American and UK versions? All I can find is the collector’s edition.

Avatar Image says:

If you just search “Tales of Beedle the Bard” on Amazon the Standard Edition will be one of the first ones.

Avatar Image says:

People, Salamandra publishes not only in Spain, but all Latinamerica. So that adds quite a lot of countries- remember Spanish is the third most spoken language in the world!

Avatar Image says:

CeNedra- ditto! I can’t believe I spent $100 on it, but at least it’s going to charity. I ordered it and Harry, a History at the same time and I got the order where it they’re shipped together the shippings free, so now I have to wait until December to read Melissa’s book :(

Avatar Image says:

I never liked the german covers. That was one of the reasons why I bought the english books as well (and because there were in english lol). But this one is not bad.

Anyway, I already wrote myself down for the collectors edition, just like CeNedra. Merry X-Mas to both of us xD

Avatar Image says:

Wow, nice! But personally, I love the UK cover the best. I cannot wait for this, but, as Celtsie said, I’m more excited for Melissa’s book at the moment!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve fallen in love with the UK cover (its more ‘serious’) and I’ll be getting that one since they only ship books from the UK to Italy. Can’t wait to get it, not to mention Melissa’s book too!

Avatar Image says:

i like the German one! its the wizard and the hopping pot! i can’t wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Amazon apparently didn’t imagine that booksellers would buy large quantities of this, even with no discount, and have CUT orders to a maximum of ten copies. It would have been better if Amazon had put a limit on orders from the beginning, instead of doing it at this very late date when booksellers have likely promised copies to their customers.

Here’s what Amazon has sent out to anyone who has placed an order of more than 10 copies:

Hello from Amazon.com.

As you may know, ‘The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector’s Edition’ will be available in limited quantities. Our original order limit was 10 copies per customer, but due to high demand, we lowered the limit to two copies in order to allow as many customers as possible to purchase this exclusive book. For orders of more than two copies placed before we lowered the limit, we will fulfill the number of copies you ordered, up to a maximum of 10 copies per customer.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com.

Avatar Image says:

I like the cover art, it’s somewhat of a mixture between the UK and US one.

Avatar Image says:

where can i see the British one? Ive seen the German, us and collectors…

This is so exiting!

Avatar Image says:

You can get it on Amazon UK lunaluu. Its on the bottom of amazon’s page I ordered all three versions(US, Collectors, and the UK). I guess I’m gonna have to get the German one now! OMG. I love Harry Potter so much. : )

Avatar Image says:

I like the German cover. I still the British cover version is the best, so I ordered it instead of the American one. As someone has already said, the American cover isjust too cartoony.

Avatar Image says:

is their any news what the french one will be like?

Avatar Image says:

is that really going to be the UK cover? It looks nice, but it also looks totally like a Beatrix Potter book. Probably because of “The Tale(s) of etc.”

Potter. There you go.

Avatar Image says: The cover art is awesome!

Write a Reply or Comment