Followup: Indian Court Rules Against WB in “Hari Puttar” Case

114

Sep 22, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

A followup today regarding Warner Brothers and a legal case they had brought, seeking to stop the release of a film from India called “Hari Puttar.” The BBC is reporting the High Court in Delhi, India has rejected the suit filed by WB, saying “Warner Bros could have brought the case three years ago and said readers could easily distinguish Hari Puttar from Harry Potter. Mirchi Movies, the makers of the Bollywood film, said Hari Puttar had no connection with the Harry Potter movies. Mirchi told the court that Hari was a popular Indian name, and Puttar meant “son” in Hindi and Punjabi.”

The article describes the film in question as telling “the story of a 10-year-old boy who moves to England with his family and becomes involved in a plan to save the world.” The ruling means the film will be released later this month. The piece also noted “The case has been dismissed. The court said that Warner Bros had known the title of the film since 2005 and had delayed bringing the case to court until the last moment,” lawyer Pratibha Singh was quoted by news agency AFP as saying.

The Delhi High Court also said that consumers who read the Harry Potter books, written by JK Rowling, were sufficiently educated to know that Hari Puttar was different, the agency quoted the lawyer as saying.”

Thanks James.

28 Responses to Followup: Indian Court Rules Against WB in “Hari Puttar” Case

Avatar Image says:

yay!!!!! good decision i must say!! first 2 comment!!

Avatar Image says:

Finally, a little justice. I’m happy the high court ruled against WB in this case, because, well, WB had no case at all.

Avatar Image says:

I definitely think that the decision was right. I dont see how the film can be expected to make any profit off the back of Harry Potter it quite obviously has nothing to do with it and they’re right in saying we should be able to work that out for ourselves!

Avatar Image says:

I’m quite happy with the decision. WB went a little too far with this case.

Avatar Image says:

Good decision. WB shoud dedicate more effort to getting its movies out on time, and less on frivolous lawsuits. I’m getting a little tired of the flurry of lawsuits related to Harry Potter things in general. The franchise has already earned billions for those conerned. It all gets a little too grasping and obsessive after while. Enough, already. Chill, before you start alienating fans.

Avatar Image says:

I completely agree with you guys, there was no case this time. What’s next? Will WB try to forbid everyone of us to use words like hairy or plotter?

I do wonder, though, if we are responding like this because we’re still a bit (or very) angry about their moving the film till next year…

But in any case, it’s good they didn’t win this one. Serves them right.

To DL_Hector:

This message board post is to inform you that your use of the words ‘Hairy Plotter’ is in direction violation of fair use copyright laws. We believe that your post using the phrase ‘Hairy Plotter’ attempts to gain popularity, comments, and potential ad placement revenue on the back of our extremely popular and successful ‘Harry Potter’ franchise.

I’m afraid if you don’t discontinue your use of the words ‘Hairy’ and ‘Plotter’ we will be forced to sue you, your family, your pets, your closest friend, the guy down the street, your 2nd grade teacher, and probably a librarian or two for good measure.

We, at WB, are merciful people and will gladly let you use the words, ‘accordion, freeway, and slipshod.’

Sincerely, The Laughing Man…er, I mean, Official WB Lawyer Type guy.

Hooray for common sense!

justice :)

they should have done something back in 2005, at least then they wouldn’t look so damn pathetic! agreed with DL_hector, they’re taking it too far with court cases.. especially this one.

supprised they haven’t tried to sue the back sides of the “pocket puppet pals” that post they’re vids on youtube :) they’re hilarious, even if i am a HP/JKR fan, i still find those videos so funny, even if they’re supposed to be taking the mick..

_ (h5) for the court who decided this!

and is it just me or is this not the full post i’m reading.. the end kinda jumps from ” the agency quoted the lawyer as saying.” ” to “Thanks James.”

:S CONFUSED?!

or it doesn’t make sence anyway!!

...hmm..

Avatar Image says:

haha “Official WB Lawyer Type Guy”

‘probably a librarin or two for good measure’ lmao!

aah your comment made me laugh :]

Avatar Image says:

Stick it to WB – they deserve it!!

Avatar Image says:

I am extremely happy because I really hate WB.

Avatar Image says:

Ha HA! I knew this would never pass! For heaven’s sake, WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

‘Course, it doesn’t matter to WB that ‘Hari Puttar’ actually means something in Hindi. So apparently Hindi is a copyright infringement. But then, the only language WB knows is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Avatar Image says:

I am extremely happy because I really hate WB.

Avatar Image says:

I am happy WB lost. Even if I wouldn’t be anti-WB for what they done to HBP, I would be happy about it.

HP is Jo’s tale not WB, they go too far and thinking themselves much too important. They are like a cook feeling himself owner of the restaurant where he works.

If this +++ company is so crazy about money and fims, they should do it in the’re own place.

Bahhh, trying to avoid another moviemaker to actually give his film to the public.  If WB likes to hide their films, I am glad other do like to share them in cinema
Avatar Image says:

I just hope Hari Puttar is as funny a spoof as it promises to be….has anyone run across any early reviews?

Yay!!!! Justice! : -)

Avatar Image says:

Common sense prevails at last. WB are egotistical idiots who need to be bought down to earth. I hope the film is a success, and WB should not think people have forgotten about the HBP first week boycott. It’s still on.

Avatar Image says:

Warner seems to delay their decisions until the last moment pretty often nowadays… Well I’m with the Harri Puttar people on this one. And now they even got some extra publicity ;-)

Avatar Image says:

Warner seems to delay their decisions until the last moment pretty often nowadays… Well I’m with the Hari Puttar people on this one. And now they even got some extra publicity ;-)

Avatar Image says:

You know what’s hilarious? WB actually did all the publicity for this film? No one India had really heard much about the film, because big banner films steal all the limelight. Now, people are saying they’ll definitely go watch the movie, at least out of curiosity! Mirchi Movie should actually thank WB!

Avatar Image says:

The WB lawyer… AWESOME! =P And it does sound a lot like WB, you know? Hahaha, I really loved that comment.

Even though I’ve been some sort of a WB-fan throughout my life (I mean, I loved the Looney Tunes when I was a kid, and now they’ve got the Harr… I mean, the Boy who didn’t know was a Wizard till he was eleven and then went to Hog… er… to a Magic school movies sorry, but I’m not taking any chances now that even my local librarians are threatened) one can’t help noticing how greedy they turned out to be. Remember the “Wyrd Sisters” band, who tried to boicot GoF? This Hari Puttar thing is that case all over again, no case at all and just a ludicrous attempt to get some pennies out of it or else.

Off the record, it’s nice to be back on the forums, I really missed reading the HP fans’ comments, which are always so nice, refrreshing and imaginative (as expected from people who read and love Harr… these lovely books) Nice reading you all guys and girls.

To DL_Hector:

‘The Boy who didn’t know was a Wizard till he was eleven and then went to a Magic School’

Well played, sir, well played – but you can’t elude us for too long. As soon as we take down Disney for that atrocious ‘Wizards of Waverly Place’ show we are coming for you! And your cute, perky Selena Gomez attitude won’t save you either!

The Laughing Ma….er, still that Official WB Lawyer type guy. Seriously.

YES!! take that WB!

Avatar Image says:

HAHA!!!!!!!!! GOOD!!!!!!!!!! WB DESERVES TO LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah !!! I mean WB postponed HP6. They deserve it.

Avatar Image says:

Actually, I’ve watched Hari Puttar and its story is a lot like Home Alone, its not at all like Harry Potter

Write a Reply or Comment