Harry Potter Display at National Library of Medicine

115

Sep 24, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

The National Library of Medicine in Bethesda, MD is hosting a special Harry Potter display, called Harry Potter’s World: Renaissance Science, Magic, and Medicine. The NLM website says this exhibit “using materials from the National Library of Medicine, explores Harry Potter’s world, its roots in Renaissance science, and the ethical questions that affected not only the wizards of Harry Potter, but also the historical thinkers featured in the series.”

It continues: “Although a fantasy story, the magic in the Harry Potter books is partially based on Renaissance traditions that played an important role in the development of Western science, including alchemy, astrology, and natural philosophy. Incorporating the work of several 15th- and 16th-century thinkers, the seven-part series examines important ethical topics such as the desire for knowledge, the effects of prejudice, and the responsibility that comes with power.”

Several related lectures and events will take place at the NLM, including a History of Medicine lecture on Oct 24th, a screening of “Prisoner of Azkaban” on October 31st, and the Curator talk on this display December 1st. This display is open now until December 31, 2008.

Thanks much Kathee!

9 Responses to Harry Potter Display at National Library of Medicine

Avatar Image says:

first comment!

Avatar Image says:

Wow! How interesting, I wish I could go there (sadly I live like two airplane rides from the US of A).

And what do you think? HP is still alive and kicking, contrary to all the pesimictic naysayers : )

Avatar Image says:

That sounds fascinating! One of the things that really drew me to HP is the reference to ancient and especially medieval/renaissance thinking, because medieval is my area of interest.

Avatar Image says:

Excellent. Now that I’m in NY there’s a Harry Potter event in my hometown. For like the first time ever.

Avatar Image says:

I’d love to read this! It’s out of reach for me, but is there a chance to get a look at the text? Renaissance magic was part of my studies last year, so I saw the connection and would be very interested to know, how others described it. Imagine, you listen to your professor talking about magic! That cheered me up a lot in those otherwise quite boring courses.

Avatar Image says:

I’m pretty mad because it’s about 2 1/2 hours away and I know my dad won’t drive me up there just to see a Harry Potter exhibit :, [

Avatar Image says:

Squeeeeeee! I’m SO going!!! : )

Avatar Image says:

I too would be interested in knowing more about this meeting. Is there any change to read something more about it ?

**Long live Harry Potter
Avatar Image says: Sounds really interesting... unfortunately I won't be going there in the near future! (*>_<*)

Write a Reply or Comment