New Cover Art for Scholastic’s “Sorcerer’s Stone” Paperback

112

Sep 30, 2008

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Scholastic, the US publishers of the Harry Potter novels, have released some new artwork for the paperback of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone Thanks to TLC reader Beth, we can now see a scan of the new cover art that shows Hagrid, Ollivander and Harry. This paperback edition of the first Harry Potter novel is currently being sold through book sales at schools here in the US. We hope to have a larger image soon, and will update with that as soon as we can.

Thanks so much Beth!

35 Responses to New Cover Art for Scholastic’s “Sorcerer’s Stone” Paperback

Avatar Image says:

yea 1st comment! i want a new harry potter book! with an awsome cover…. im heading over to scholastic!

Avatar Image says:

Mary Grandpre got her opening curtain to match the closing curtain in Deathly Hallows!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, i like that cover a lot better then the original cover. Then again i hate all of the covers of the first four books. They are terrible. It is almost as if the covers got better as they went along. DH has the best cover. I only bought the last three in hardback because i couldn’t stand to own hardbacks of the first four.

Avatar Image says:

I REALLY like the new cover art. I hope this becomes available at bookstores or online.

Avatar Image says:

Squeesqueesquee! I love it! I need to find out when local primary schools are having their booksales so I can get my hands on one of these.

Avatar Image says:

I agree; I love this so much more than the original cover. It’s very dynamic and tells a story. The original covers, up until the Half-Blood Prince, are too cartoonish.

Avatar Image says:

I love the new artwork, it just shows how much Mary Grandpre has improved as an artist.

Avatar Image says:

I really like the new cover art and how the opening curtains match the closing curtains on DH cover. I’ve always disliked the covers of the 1st 3 books, hopefully those will be done over, if not CoS and PoA are going to REALLY look out of place.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know whether I like this one or not. I really like the cover art for the 10th Anniversary Edition, and have to wonder whey they don’t use that. And why are they releasing another paper back edition anyway? It’s been out in paperback since 1999 when I started reading it. Just seems a bit odd.

Avatar Image says:

Money money money, always money… Scholastic wants more!

Avatar Image says:

Eeyore, there have always been new editions of books often with new artwork covers. The reason, I imagine is to offer a fresh look or re-imagination etc. I cant even begin to count the number of different Narnia paperback editions I have seen for example. I have 3 different cover sets, one set looking extremely old and read since I was little, the next set I bought to read again, and another set I bought later because I loved the covers! I think its fab they do this. 10 years for Philospher’s Stone also sounds about the right time to release a new look edition.

New cover art…again?

Avatar Image says:

I love it! It’s so beautiful, and it really ties in with the cover art from Deathly Hallows. Awesome.

Avatar Image says:

i love mary grandpre’s art, but for me the original covers are the only option. i’m pretty attached to them. the new ones look a little less magical to me.

Avatar Image says:

M said: ‘Money money money, always money… Scholastic wants more!’

They are a business, you know. Why would anyone be surprised they want to make money?

Avatar Image says:

I wish that they’d make new cover art for the British Editions!

We’ve had the same old ‘Harry and the Hogwarts Express’ cover for over ten years now, and I think that it would be nice to have a switch-up. I bought the entire series in Adult Edition just for a change.

And from the way things are going for you guys, each Harry Potter book is going to have a new American cover as we reach their anniversary. So CoS and PoA are coming soon, then the last four will be released up until 2017. So Harry Potter will definitely last until 2020+!

Avatar Image says:

Thats beautiful! I love the warm colors. Order of the Pheonix was always my favorite cover, but this rivals it! Wow!

Avatar Image says:

It actually took me a while to figure out what scene that was since Hagrid wasn’t actually there and the background looks ambiguous (I don’t remember a chair). Unless I’m totally thinking of the wrong scene.

ooohh, i like it! =)

Avatar Image says:

Make a hard cover version called, ”... and the Philosopher’s Stone” that has the “British-isms” put back in, and I’ll gladly buy it.

Avatar Image says:

k, Its the scene when harry gets his wand, Hagrids siting on a spindly chair it says. then he jumps in his seat and the chair almost breaks and so he gets up.

Avatar Image says:

K, you’re remembering the movie rather than the book.

Avatar Image says:

Good point about the covers changing. I just happen to have the older versions of all the books, with the exception of the new release of SS, which I had hoped they would rename for the 10th anniversary. But, oh well.

I do like the growth in Mary GrandPre’s vision of the cover art, but there is still something charming about the first one for me. The only one I never cared for was the one for GOF, except that there are a lot of hidden things in that particular one.

I did find the place in the chapter on “Diagon Alley” that has Hagrid getting off the spindly chair though:

(from SS, US version, p. 82)

“It was a tiny place, empty except for a single, spindly chair that Hagrid sat on to wait.”

(then in the next paragraph)

“Good afternoon,” said a soft voice. Harry jumped. Hagrid must have jumped, too, because there was a loud crunching noise and he got quickly off the spindly chair.”

Avatar Image says:

Yet again Mary Granpre shows her lack of knowledge about all that is Harry Potter! Hagid wasn’t with Harry and Ollivander when THE wand was selected. On the new hardback cover, Harry looks like a girl and HAS NO SCAR! I looked at the book at the book store but decided not to purchase it even though it has a great sketch of Snape by JKR. I will probably purchase one in the future just to have the JKR sketch. On the HBP cover she shows Dumbledore’s wand hand intact, uninjured, completely contradicting what JKR wrote! She has the books long before any true fan and she illustrates them without any regard to what is written. She is NOT a fine artist who is to “interpret” something, she is ILLUSTRATING a beloved writer’s work. I don’t know how JKR puts up with MGp’s butchering! She probably has signed away the rights to object.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve found that it always helps to go back to the book to look for things when there is a question of whether or not something was in the book or just the movie, or in both.

To “s” whose post follows mine, I’d suggest that you open the book again and reread the scene with Harry buying his wand. Hagrid is very clearly there, and sits on a spindly chair until startled by Ollivander.

Perhaps you are thinking of the scene with Harry buying his robes, when Hagrid is NOT there?

Part of the thing with Mary GrandPre’s covers is that she shows enough to entice a reader into the book, without giving away too much. It would have given away too much had Dumbledore’s hand been shown withered, for instance.

You can like her covers or not, that’s up to you, but I really think that you are going a little over the top about the whole thing. If you want the 10th anniversary edition but don’t like the cover, then get rid of the cover.

I’d have to look for the quote, but doesn’t JKR say that she likes the artwork of the Scholastic HP books?

Avatar Image says:

Personally, I like the original cover art best. What scene is this supposed to be anyway?

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, I should probably read the previous comments before repeating questions. I still say the original cover is best though.

Avatar Image says: I also like the new cover.Avatar Image says: Aw, wonderful.Avatar ImageZivlok says: I JUST found this! I hadn't heard of it yet! ZOMG I love this cover! I must find it!Avatar ImageThe Whomping Willow says: Wow! That's cool- somehow I missed this article!Avatar ImageEmilyDeibert says: Oooh, I want that.Avatar Imagerogerdavies says: Thats a pretty cool cover but is it just me or does Ollivander look really creepy in that picture??? Pretty much awesome though.Avatar Imagegroundpig says: I cant view the picture or any comments? if you want to see this new book just search eviltig on youtube. I did a video about the book as I just recently got one and my user name on youtube is eviltig where I posted a video... Not trying to troll or anything but it seems this picture and post are gone... Or is it just me??Avatar Imagegroundpig says: Oh heres the link to the video on youtube. I show the new book cover with the UK and US version paperback to see all the differences http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmnfCNjlTsk You might have to copy paste the link into the address bar but there it is

Write a Reply or Comment