Emma Thompson Makes New Comments on Decision Not to Return as Trelawney

Thompson
January 02, 2009, 07:56 PM

In an interview before the release of her latest film, Last Chance Harvey, actress Emma Thompson has made some new comments regarding her decision not to return to the part of Professor Trelawney for the final Harry Potter films. Speaking with the San Francisco Chronicle, Emma Thompson addresses the outcry over her decision, and her upcoming work on the sequel to Nanny McPhee. Quotage:

Thompson does have a creative outlet other than acting, which is her writing. She's been working on a drama about British art critic John Ruskin, and this year filming will start on the sequel to "Nanny McPhee" (2005), which she adapted from a children's book series.

While this project might seem innocent enough, "Harry Potter" fans have been all over Thompson because of reports suggesting that she chose Nanny over Sybil (in the forthcoming "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows") when both were scheduled to be shot at the same time.

"I wasn't being rude at all," says Thompson, who adds that she loves Sybil. "It's so typical, where they take something very, very small and turn it into a big deal. I was never going to be in the next 'Harry Potter.' I sort of put that to bed."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Thompson News

Kumar

Ah, well. I don’t think they would have written Trelawney into the later scripts. Anyway, I really like her writing and hope to see more of her work brought to the screen.

Typical news media – the fans were the ones who didn’t get it? I think it’s the media that doesn’t get the fans.

Posted by Kumar on January 03, 2009, 06:21 AM report to moderator
Daryl

They can get someone to play as Trelawney, I mean the character has a very small part in the last part, know what I’m saying?

Posted by Daryl on January 03, 2009, 06:48 AM report to moderator
Carlo

Well, Thompson is just amazing as Sybil but it’s true: in movie seven she appears once and, however, she doesn’t talk.
If she has got other and more important projects, I can’t say she is making a mistake.

Posted by Carlo on January 03, 2009, 07:10 AM report to moderator
Miss Freewind

I could really care less if she is coming back since her character has no real importance to the plot, but I really don’t like her statement about Harry Potter fans. She “wasn’t being rude at all” before but I think her recent comment was very rude. Her attitude toward fans has kind of turned me off. It is somewhat hard for me to watch an actor’s/actress’s work when I don’t like their personality.

Moreover, if I remember correctly, the only thing people were making a big deal of was the reason she gave. She said with her other projects, she would not have time to do Harry Potter. Some fans were questioning her reason because she has such a small part in the movie and it would only take a couple days to film it.

Posted by Miss Freewind on January 03, 2009, 07:11 AM report to moderator
kami

I love you Emma but it kinds sound like you’re dissing the HP fans…i really hope thats not the case :(

Posted by kami on January 03, 2009, 07:41 AM report to moderator
Helena

Emma Thompson is a very talented actress. While I really wanted her to stay on for Deathly Hallows, I’m fine with her not coming back if she feels she isn’t fostering her creativity. Regardless, I find it strange that they site “the fans” as being “all over” Emma. Really? I honestly do not remember that, anyone else?

Posted by Helena on January 03, 2009, 08:27 AM report to moderator
Confederate Lady

@Helena: Unfortunately, all you would have to do is read back, on these postings. I am dismayed. I thought the fans were “dedicated fans of Harry Potter” Not all the little snigly little side parts. No matter how small. To vilify an actor because they have chosen to go on, to other projects, instead of “taking a day out of her life to film” [paraphrased, from an earlier post] is unjust and uncalled for. Your [meaning Helena] personal take on the decision, by Ms Thompson, is rational and fair.As are many other postings, here. As for the “media blowing this out of proportion”….I think that belongs to some of the “fans”. I think that we’ve all had a hand in the “explosion”…Good on Ms Thompson, for moving on, if that’s the direction of her creativity. She is talented and is an award winning writer. Let us move on, and leave her to do same.

Posted by Confederate Lady on January 03, 2009, 08:45 AM report to moderator
Jimmy

To be honest, I never cared for her as Trelawney to begin with plus the writers have shifted so much of what the movies will focus on that her character can easily be written out.

Posted by Jimmy on January 03, 2009, 09:09 AM report to moderator
MesserMoony

Oh, well. life goes on. Anyone who loved Thompson cant watch POA. But—didnt we know this already? I heard something about it a few weeks ago on Pcast

Posted by MesserMoony on January 03, 2009, 09:18 AM report to moderator
Namiya Nusrat

I…..just…..cant…….belive!!!!! She cant leave like this. She knows that she is the perfect one for this role…Pleasssss dont leave.. We like u as Trelawney. This role needs u…:(

Posted by Namiya Nusrat on January 03, 2009, 10:41 AM report to moderator
Marcheline

It would have been much simpler (and better for the continuity of the film series in the end) if they had just filmed the small bits with her in it ahead of time, and inserted them into the following films. It’s not like they needed her for endless attached scenes or anything… and she always pretty much dresses the same. It could have been done so easily, and then she’d have been cut loose to do her projects and we would have had our Trelawney. Shame.

Posted by Marcheline on January 03, 2009, 10:44 AM report to moderator
Professor Potter

Emma Thompson happens to be my absolute favourite actress. I think most people here understand her reasons for not going back to HP. I enjoyed her work as Trelawney but McPhee is her baby – she wrote it. But the thing is, there could be other reasons for her not doing HP anymore. Whatever those reasons are, its none of our business. Who knows, maybe there was a fallout with producers. Or maybe Emma is simply not passionate about it. So what? She made her choice and it doesn’t make her evil or insensitive. She might not seem to be caught in the HP razzmatazz or be a fan of the books. As long as she doesnt insult fans (and I dont see she has in any way), its fine. These are movies and frankly its amazing they got this far with largely, the same core crew and by the looks of it will go all the way. Successful book chronicles such as Unfortunate Events, Dark Materials, The dark is Rising cant even get past the first block. Narnia managed 2 but then the plug was pulled. We are so darn lucky to have these Harry Potter films and at such high standards.

Posted by Professor Potter on January 03, 2009, 12:35 PM report to moderator
Synch

Seriously, Trelawney’s role as the series closes becomes smaller and smaller. To be sure, the parts where she is included are good, but keep in mind that we’ve known all along that the small bits of the books are routinely cut for the integrity of the much shorter movie. Thompson was a good Trelawney, but McPhee is her love, and I would rather her further her own passions than cave to the flocks of screaming fans.

Besides, think how you would all feel if (and this is a great if) Thompson chose to continue her role, but Rickman decided to discontinue his role as Snape. Or Radcliffe as Potter, Grint as Weasley (which seems more likely, he’s going to be 25 by the time the movies are done probably) and etc. Trelawney has not been the most important plot character at all. Yes, she has been important, but we saw the end of her greatest importance by OoTP, and to be frank, she could have snubbed that role, true? But she didn’t, and to stay with the series as long as she did as a, movie-wise, expendable character is admirable.

Posted by Synch on January 03, 2009, 01:08 PM report to moderator
Jen

Wow, put that to bed? she must not care much about that character…I guess she prefers being in the limelight instead of being a side character, a bit arrogant if you ask me.

Posted by Jen on January 03, 2009, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Kerri

i’m not making abig deal of it but both coments kind of seems a bit rude if you’re being sensitive.

Posted by Kerri on January 03, 2009, 01:36 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Harry heard Bellatrix Lestrange's triumphant scream, but knew it meant nothing -- Sirius had only just fallen through the archway, he would reappear from the other side any second...[br]But Sirius did not reappear.[br]"SIRIUS!" Harry yelled, "SIRIUS!"