Charity Auction for Complete Signed Set of Harry Potter Books to Benefit Carter Center Efforts

Charity
January 22, 2009, 07:32 PM

A complete set of the UK Children's editions of the Harry Potter novels, all signed by author J.K. Rowling are part of a charity auction to be held the weekend of February 7th. The AP reports that the set of books signed by the Harry Potter author, along with a baseball signed by five US Presidents, and a certificate signed by the three Apollo 11 Astronauts including Neil Armstrong, are part of the many unique and rare items up for auction to benefit the Carter Center. The center, founded by former US President Jimmy Carter, is holding the auction, with the proceeds to support their work "which promotes peace and health worldwide and monitors elections in struggling democracies."

Other items of note in the auction include a Heisman Trophy football signed by 22 Heisman Trophy winners including Sam Bradford, the 2008 Heisman winner, trips to Florence, Italy, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, books signed by Nobel Peace prize winners including former US Vice President Al Gore, Nelson Mandela, and Desmond Tutu among others, and a guitar signed by a large number of musicians including two members of the Doors, Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead, Sheryl Crow, James Taylor, Willie Nelson, members of REM, Def Leppard, Heart, the B-52's, Crosby, Stills and Nash, as well as Kid Rock and Bruce Springsteen. You can see the items up for the live auction portion, including the books from J.K. Rowling via this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Charity News

Katie

thats great. oh to be wealthy.

Posted by Katie on January 22, 2009, 07:40 PM report to moderator
Elizaberh

I wonder which of the items will earn the most money. Harry, of corse.

Posted by Elizaberh on January 22, 2009, 07:58 PM report to moderator
SRP

31. GUITAR HALL OF FAME ….“Def Leppard (Vince Campbell, Rick Savage, and others)”…..Vince Campbell, LOL: his name is VIVIAN Campbell. The autographed photo of five former presidents would be awesome. Former President Carter does great work, hope this brings them lots of money.

Posted by SRP on January 22, 2009, 08:14 PM report to moderator
Mills

I wish i could get them. that would be sooooo cool.

Posted by Mills on January 22, 2009, 08:14 PM report to moderator
Emily

I just considered bidding, for a second. It’s only at 500 right now! But that’s going to change soon, I know it, and besides – everyone knows you’ve got to wait till the last second to bid. If it’s still 500 then.. Well, we’ll see.

Posted by Emily on January 22, 2009, 09:06 PM report to moderator
ginevra

Did you notice the value assigned the HP set? It’s got to be a typo!

Much as I’d drool to have a signed set of HP books (British, no less!), it’s the trip to Florence that’s really got me dreaming …

Posted by ginevra on January 22, 2009, 11:13 PM report to moderator
tiahn

I just love JO!

Posted by tiahn on January 23, 2009, 12:05 AM report to moderator
Faith

The bid is up to $2,000!! Wish I could get my hands on these as sadly I never made it to a book signing, despite being in the UK…

Posted by Faith on January 23, 2009, 05:29 AM report to moderator
Emily

Yeah, there’s no way that’s only worth $140 when that presidential baseball is worth nearly $5000. Come on, people! Jo’s autograph’s worth more than some presidents’!

Posted by Emily on January 23, 2009, 08:55 AM report to moderator
Joey

Wish I had the money to bid, but I’m only a poor working man with to many bills to pay as it is. Good luck to all who do bid.

Posted by Joey on January 23, 2009, 02:59 PM report to moderator
Kiwi Mc I

$25,000….. Its up to $25,000. Most items there are not bid over their value but the books have skyrocketed in bids. They are bound to be red in the face for placing that value so low. None of the bids on the other items even comes close to what these books are getting

Posted by Kiwi Mc I on January 24, 2009, 11:57 AM report to moderator
jufamnPoumn

Every scoop of salsa should have a little bit of each salsa ingredient in it.
laptop pc ibm pc
laptop pc asus

Posted by jufamnPoumn on January 28, 2009, 05:56 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

I too wish I could bid on these. At least it goes to charity.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on February 11, 2009, 10:04 AM report to moderator
108_thumb

I too wish I could bid on these. At least it goes to charity.

49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

Jo is an angel — she always does so much for charity.

Posted by Garden State Geek on February 24, 2009, 12:40 PM report to moderator

"I take my hat off to you -- or I would, if I were not afraid of showering you in spiders."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014