Dan Radcliffe Talks Theater, Politics, Potter, and More in New Interview

Radcliffe Interviews
Posted by: Edward
January 26, 2009, 05:57 PM

There is a new interview online today from The Daily Beast with actor Dan Radcliffe (Harry Potter), which features the actor speaking at great length about a number of subjects related to his craft, his experience in America, the political and social climate of today, growing up in the spotlight, and much more. (Note:  Caution to parents of younger readers regarding the mature nature of portions of the interview).  Among the topics Mr. Radcliffe discusses is his experience during the run of the play Equus, noting it is something he'll be "very sad" to see end.  Mr. Radcliffe says that his work in the theater has brought him a "certain amount of respect. It will always be my first experience on the stage," before going on to note that would be open to doing a musical in the future, " It’s just a matter of finding the right one."

Mr. Radcliffe goes on to more of his experience in the States, relating a particular privilege to be here during the recent inauguration of President Barack Obama.  Quotage:

I am so proud and happy for this country. He is everything the rest of the world liked about America and now likes again. He is both Martin Luther King and JFK. He is a pioneer. He is a symbol of progress which is what we dig about this country. What you love about England is all the old buildings and such. The traditions. I love that, too. But this is what we want from you.
Continuing on this subject, the young actor speaks of the landscape of the British political future, his British heritage, which tends to make him "go doubly British when [he is] away from home."  The actor also extends a personal invitation to the daughters of President and Mrs. Obama for "a private tour of the Harry Potter set."  Speaking then in relation to the world of Harry Potter, Dan Radcliffe observes that he has developed "two personas" to balance his day-to-day life with the sudden rise of fame.  He relates:
"It’s not even a conscious thing. Something happens...  People always say to me, “Oh, you’re so funny in interviews.” And I go, Well, I’m not really in real life particularly. That’s what fame does to you. You acquire another self."
The conversation continues, with talk of Goblet of Fire co-star Robert Pattinson's (Cedric Diggory) rise to fame and Dan's emotional approach to acting.  Daniel credits poet John Keats' theory of negative capability for this, and notes: "The truth is to be found in the things that are not certain and not solid and not easy and not simple.  Keeping your childlike attitude is important too. Having a sense of wonder about everything in the world. Harnessing that wonder is what acting is about."

Finally, the subject then turns to Mr. Radcliffe's work on the stage, and the kind of experiences he has had with various theater colleagues over the years. Acknowledging variances in the culture of theater verses film production, Mr. Radcliffe credits a wide circle of friends and homosexual colleagues during his youth as providing him with a different perception of homosexuality than his friends, who had "a rather different attitude toward it than I."

The full interview with actor Dan Radcliffe can be read via this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe Interviews News

RolfLovegood

I am not a huge Dan Radcliffe fan but he does say some insightful stuff. This was a great interview. I completely agree with tory. I hate when the interviewer is so…sigh…a jack*ss

Posted by RolfLovegood on January 26, 2009, 09:04 PM report to moderator
tina

i hate it when entertainment mix up with politics. i love dan and i don’t think that’s is his idea

Posted by tina on January 26, 2009, 09:14 PM report to moderator
iamminerva

Oh, those lucky Obama girls! I wonder if they’ll find out about Dan’s invitation? I can just see it now…“Mom! Mom! Mom! Can we go? Can we, huh? Can we? We can go this summer after school lets out. Oh, please? Pleeeeeeeease!!” Ha Ha! I want to go with them. Dear President Obama: I am a Harry Potter fan and I voted for you. May I please join your daughters on their personal tour of the set? May I, please? Pleeeeeeeeease! :)

Posted by iamminerva on January 26, 2009, 09:26 PM report to moderator
Saturn

lmao iamminerva

Posted by Saturn on January 26, 2009, 09:27 PM report to moderator
Bookworm Jen

What a fantastic interview! Dan is always so eloquent, and it was great to hear him talk about some new topics, rather than just answering the same old questions.

Posted by Bookworm Jen on January 26, 2009, 09:34 PM report to moderator
bebe

Kudos to the interviewer for asking him some different questions (except for the Pattinson one, but oh well). Dan is interested in many things and was asked about Obama – no harm in answering. I really like how outspoken he is and am pleased about his openness in general. That’s what makes a good role model – not that he’s obliged to be, of course.

Posted by bebe on January 26, 2009, 09:38 PM report to moderator
mg

“You’re sexy Daniel. Come on. Own it” Damm straight! But..despite his very appealing outer looks, he is FIERCELY intelligent and witty (he can’t tell me he’s only funny in interviews!) and charming and real and that’s what I love about him. He really does practice “negative capability”. What a wonderful person to represent the Harry Potter character.

I’m going to the closing performance of Equus..and that makes me sad it will be over soon :(.

Posted by mg on January 26, 2009, 10:49 PM report to moderator
Elc

I have to admit Mr. Radcliffe (or at least his sibling) is funny at interviews but it really rocks when the interviewer is also funny himself. Questions were good and very informal. kudos to both.

Posted by Elc on January 27, 2009, 01:03 AM report to moderator
kerri

That was a very insightful, fun, interview. That was sweet of him to say that about Rob Pattinson. He does stand there and smolder, it melts my bones….but Dan, I think he would intimidate me if I met him. He’s so intelligent.

Posted by kerri on January 27, 2009, 01:48 AM report to moderator
Loz

I know – right?!

Haha, my friend and I have been quoting this American saying since Mean Girls was released 5 years ago!! Brilliant..

Awesome interview, finally some original questions!

Posted by Loz on January 27, 2009, 04:37 AM report to moderator
DJR fan

Very revealing interview. Our Dan is getting political these days. And he has forceful opinions. Not just your typical intelligent young man but one with confidence to speak about his beliefs. Bravo, Dan.

And aaww, he’s just being his modest self when he said he’s not sexy. I’ll pick Dan’s fidgety, intelligent funny self any day of the week over Mr. Pattinson’s “trying hard to be sexy” smoldering . lol

Posted by DJR fan on January 27, 2009, 05:34 AM report to moderator
mg

I totally agree DRJ fan! I’ve met him a few times through Equus stage doors and an auction, and he is very polite, charming, jokey and a little shy. What I would give to be able to chat with him for an hour!

Posted by mg on January 27, 2009, 06:41 AM report to moderator
ele0206

He always seems soooo smart and brilliant!
However, I don’t see any “mature nature portion of the interview”. You meant the homosexuality thing?

Posted by ele0206 on January 27, 2009, 07:10 AM report to moderator
Graymayne

Hurrah for an interviewer with a real interest in Daniel Radcliffe as grown man; it makes such a difference to the topics under discussion. At last Dan has been allowed to come of age, probably due to his long run in Equus and the added status as an actor. I hope that all other interviewers will take note despite the fact that he has to return to is HP role for the final two films. It is a blessing that that DH has such a grown-up feel to it and so little time is spent at Hogwarts.

Posted by Graymayne on January 27, 2009, 07:19 AM report to moderator
miriam

It’s great to read interviews like this with Dan. He’s always so intelligent and articulate. I agree with what he says about New Labour. Unfortunately, as disappointing as they have been in the past few years, I’d still prefer them to a Conservative (Tory) Party in government. And I’m also glad about what Dan said about the stupid idiot Prince Harry.

Happy that Dan is so open minded and not paranoid and insecure like a lot of young men are (yes, I’m talking about with having gay friends).

Really wish that Emma & Rupert would give interviews like this – actually I wish they were interviewed by people like this – as most of the time the reason an interview is boring is because the interviewer is rehashing tired questions.

Posted by miriam on January 27, 2009, 09:43 AM report to moderator

"Mum's always wishing we had a house-elf to do the ironing," said George. "But all we've got is a lousy old ghoul in the attic and gnomes all over the garden."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014