Report: Stuntman for Dan Radcliffe Injured on Set of "Deathly Hallows"

DH Film
January 28, 2009, 07:57 PM

UK tabloid The Mirror is reporting tonight that a stuntman "who doubles for Harry star Daniel Radcliffe," was injured as part of prep work for filming on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The paper says that the accident with the stuntman happened while "rehearsing a flying sequence using a harness when he was sent plummeting by the blast, which was part of the stunt. He was conscious after smashing to the ground but told horrified colleagues: “I can’t feel my legs.”

The paper continues:

A source said: “The stunt double was badly hurt. He was rehearsing a flying scene which involved an explosion and it seems to have gone badly wrong. The guy was rigged up to a harness for the scene and was flying through the air.It is thought he may have been caught by the explosion and hit the ground very hard."

UPDATE: The UK Press Association now has more on this incident, with their article stating an "East of England Ambulance Service spokesman confirmed a man in his 20s had been injured on set.

He said: "Paramedics were called to Leavesden Studios after a man in his 20s sustained a significant back injury. He was stabilised at the scene and taken to Watford General Hospital." Watford General Hospital refused to comment on the man's condition, but said he had been transferred to another hospital.

The Mirror does contain a quote for a rep from Leavesden studios as follows: “We can confirm a member of the Harry Potter production was injured in an accident. We are awaiting further news.Out of respect for the family we are unable to comment further.”

TLC is working to obtain additional information on this matter, and will update when we can.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

aj

Some people should be ashamed of themselves for getting hyped up about what scene they think it was. THIS ISN’T THE TIME. Someone said he actually got paralysed (they said this on Channel 5 news, but I watch ITV so I wouldn’t know). I don’t care how much I like HP, it isn’t worth someone loosing the ability to walk over, and the fact that so many of you are more concerned about what scene he was shooting and how awesome the film must be shows how overly obsessive you are over this whole fandom. If I was JKR I would be appalled. You wouldn’t be so flippant about it if it was Dan or Rupert or Emma in the accident, would you?
Anywho, I can only hope he recovers as much as he can.

Posted by aj on January 29, 2009, 04:56 PM report to moderator
aj

and forget the anywho…that was tasteless

Posted by aj on January 29, 2009, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Hermionegirl

Best wishes go to him and his family. Luckily, it seems like Leavesdon is taking good care of it.

Posted by Hermionegirl on January 29, 2009, 05:28 PM report to moderator
alyssa

that’s awful! poor guy!

Posted by alyssa on January 29, 2009, 05:30 PM report to moderator
Noella_Mansrot

Oh no! I hope he’s going to be okay…
My first thought when I saw this article was “wow, dangerous stunts! the action sequences are gonna be awsome!” But then I read the whole thing and felt horrible!!
I know that’s the risk of being a stunt, but I truely hope he’ll have a full recovery. No movie is worth someone getting paralized or worse. All good thoughts to him and his family.

Posted by Noella_Mansrot on January 29, 2009, 05:37 PM report to moderator
Matt C

@ Tiddywinks:

In a lot of action/fantasy/adventure films, during filming injuries are almost always inevitable in some form — mostly minor ones. Viggo Mortensen broke his big toe when shot the LOTR trilogy, Anne Hathaway accidentally cut herself when shooting “Get Smart,” Thomas Haden Church broke some fingers in his hand when shooting “Spider-Man 3,” etc..

I just hope that this the only instance where a serious injury has happened during shooting of the HP films. I emphasize with the stuntman — breaking any kind of bone is extremely painful (even doubly so when it’s a spinal injury). I hope he recovers.

Posted by Matt C on January 29, 2009, 06:39 PM report to moderator
BellaSnape

Its not that I dont feel Sorry for him, I would be devistated. We are given little to work with here. I said my prayers are with him. I did not mean that the scene he was shooting was more important than his life, I would never mean something like that. I was thinking outloud or merely wondering. I cant do anymore but say I hope hes alright. But lash out and assume that Im a low person who cares more about a movie than someones life.

Posted by BellaSnape on January 29, 2009, 07:10 PM report to moderator
BellaSnape

I meant to say DONT lash out.

Posted by BellaSnape on January 29, 2009, 07:12 PM report to moderator
BellaSnape

Besides Im not going to get into it, but I have witnessed many times on here when insults were flying left and right at someone because they were overly obsessed about that character and their looks. That too is acting like a child. I dont care how devoted you are, be happy with who is cast not who you vision. Cough! Narcissa! Cough! Helen Cough.

Posted by BellaSnape on January 29, 2009, 07:19 PM report to moderator
DL_Hector

Goodness… thank God he wasn’t… DEATHLY injured….

Ok, that joke was so lame and bad I think I got cancer out of it…
No, but seriously, I hope he gets perfectly well soon, cause it’s a work of art what stunts do in this era where digital animation fills the screens from left to right.

Posted by DL_Hector on January 29, 2009, 08:50 PM report to moderator
MA

great idea eiVega for a get well card drive.

Posted by MA on January 29, 2009, 09:32 PM report to moderator
Dawn

Bless him and his family.. oh, and he was only trying to help us all with his work. Bless them..

Posted by Dawn on January 29, 2009, 10:03 PM report to moderator
Dawn

OH YES – LET’S PLEASE DO A CARD DRIVE FOR THIS STUNTMAN – Melissa or Sue, will you please post on the news how you want this handled?? Thanks for all you do for us and the Harry Potter families..

Posted by Dawn on January 29, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
Elauna

Our thought and prayers go out to him and his family. We hope that the stuntman will be able to recover soon.

Posted by Elauna on January 29, 2009, 11:36 PM report to moderator
ravenclawguy1972

i hope this stunt man is okay with no permant injuries, that being said i can agree with the possibilities mentioned dfor what they were filming the 7 potters, the dragon scene, or the escape from the lovegood’s house , with my thinking that it is the 7 potters scene, but as much asi want to the see the DH movies, ii want more for this fine fellow to be okay

Posted by ravenclawguy1972 on January 30, 2009, 01:33 AM report to moderator

There was no benign smile upon Dumbledore's face, no twinkle in the eyes behind the spectacles. There was cold fury in every line of the ancient face; a sense of power radiated from Dumbledore as though he were giving off burning heat.