Dan Radcliffe Says NO Thanks to Harry Potter, The Musical

Radcliffe
January 03, 2009, 05:02 PM

Thanks to our Order partner Dan Radcliffe. com, we know of a new video interview with actor Dan Radcliffe via Broadway.com. In a delightful series of question and answers, Dan says that he is a huge cartoon fan (loves SpongeBob SquarePants), talks about his Equus work schedule, living in New York city, and says most decidedly NO to ever wanting to be in a Harry Potter musical. He goes at length on this particular subject, showing light-hearted but clear dismay at the thought of such a project, noting this is not what the series is about and he hopes it does not happen ("it would not have my blessing let's just say"). Dan Radcliffe also confirms again that he will begin filming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on February 15.

On a related note, Dan listed his favorite things of the year, noting such things as his favorite tv show ("Stephen Colbert, The Colbert Report, definitely) film of the year ( I really liked Burn After Reading. I think it's going to be eclipsed when I see Milk. My dad saw it the other day and said it was amazing, and we have exactly the same taste) and moment of the year ("Being here when Obama got [voted] in. I thought, 'Wow, I feel so privileged to be in the country at this moment.' Then I turned [the TV] over to FOX News and watched them all cry." ) For those that missed it earlier, readers of the same Broadway.com site had voted Dan 'Star of the Year' in a online poll.

Thanks to DanRadcliffe.com!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

kay

oh my god i’m so confused, what did Dan even say that was political? i am going to listen to the interview again. i don’t know if this is relevant, but Jo Rowling said publicly that she said America could use a democratic president.

Posted by kay on January 04, 2009, 01:26 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

“Congratulations! You’ve missed the point entirely!…”

@PotterFanInHouston, I seriously doubt that. LOL.

Posted by KB Prez on January 04, 2009, 01:30 PM report to moderator
kay

oh i get it now. i just hadn’t read the other thing… that was stupid sorry… but i think that it is so cool that he was glad Obama got voted in and wanted to see Milk. I love that guy.

Posted by kay on January 04, 2009, 01:45 PM report to moderator
Saya

It would have to be a serious musical a’la Les Miz or Phantom or Jane Eyre with only bits and pieces of funny stuff (let the twins get some big number or something) – you couldn’t treat it like Spamalot or Dr. Horrible or something like that… But done properly I think it could be done if anything else could be done – but that doesn’t mean I think they should….

Posted by Saya on January 04, 2009, 01:59 PM report to moderator
Erin Lovegood

I love musicals! I love Harry! But a musical about Harry? No thanks. I just wished I could have seen Daniel in Equus; now that would have been amazing!

Posted by Erin Lovegood on January 04, 2009, 02:06 PM report to moderator
elven*princess221

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with anything Dan said. Anyone who does is totally over-reacting. There’s nothing wrong with feeling privileged to have been here when Obama was elected. And I don’t know if he’s saying anything bad about FOX news. On every news channel there were people crying because he was elected, so I don’t see anything wrong with that. I don’t know anything about the movie Milk, but what’s wrong with liking a movie? I know that The Colbert Report is not a really liberal show, especially when I think of Jon Stewart’s and Bill Maher’s shows. People please lighten up and stop looking to be offended. And I think it’s very important what the rest of the world thinks when it comes to who we elect as President. We all live in the same world and we all have to work together to make our world a better place.

Posted by elven*princess221 on January 04, 2009, 03:17 PM report to moderator
allie

musical are u serius. id go to see just because of the harry potter theme but dans right it isint what harry potter is about. im so happy he likes spongebob squarepants. we have so much in commen ok not really but idk.

Posted by allie on January 04, 2009, 03:51 PM report to moderator
Monika

I love musicals but I’m going to say that making a Harry Potter musical, although it has a potential to translate pretty good, could be disastrous. I was really scared when they announced Lord of the Rings: the Musical, but I heard that it was really good. It’s just depends on how they would do it. But I would still disapprove, scared that it would be a mockery.

Posted by Monika on January 04, 2009, 04:40 PM report to moderator
EnglishLitMajor

PotterFanInHouston,

I laughed when I read your comments. Have you ever heard the phrase “Keep It Simple, Stupid”? Whatever points you are trying to make are lost in your outdated syntax. You write like a middle school student trying to impress an English teacher with words and phrases you really don’t understand. It’s not about the number of words used. It’s how they are used. Your writing style was dead by the end of WWII. I don’t think your English teacher would be impressed. Just look at some of this:

“his comments in the extracts presented here, if true to context, reveal a disappointing level of political bigotry that one wishes would not have come from a Potter castmember”,

“this is about attitudes betrayed by a sector which otherwise likes to mantle itself in the cloak of enlightenment, caring, understanding, diversity, inclusiveness, etc.”,

“Palpable nonsense!”,

My personal favorite is: “it matters not one whit”.

You can’t be serious with this stuff. Honestly, this style died during the late, lamented 20th century. “Late, lamented”? I’ll bet you love that one! Please credit me if you use it.

Posted by EnglishLitMajor on January 04, 2009, 05:09 PM report to moderator
sl

Hear, hear to Jain and EnglishLitMajor! ’nough said.

Posted by sl on January 04, 2009, 05:12 PM report to moderator
H

I do not think that Harry Potter should be put into the hands of the people who make the Disney musicals; but I think it has the right stuff to make a really great production. If it is intense and good and the people who do it don’t try to make it too kid-friendly I think I’d love it. Before reading Wicked and seeing the musical I’d have thought it was silly to mess with The Wizard of Oz. But I love Wicked. I think a similar thing could happen with Harry Potter. And yes, I can imagine a singing Harry. They are called Paul and Joe and they rock my iPod.

Posted by H on January 04, 2009, 06:14 PM report to moderator
Kristin T

Dan and my kids have something in common then, they both love Spongebob! That’s too funny.

Posted by Kristin T on January 04, 2009, 06:19 PM report to moderator
KB Prez

@EnglishLitMajor, I’m still laughing. BRILLIANT comment!!!

Posted by KB Prez on January 04, 2009, 06:20 PM report to moderator
Patrick

great, Dans a liberal. (in a sarcastic tone)

Posted by Patrick on January 04, 2009, 06:39 PM report to moderator
CarolynJ

EnglishLitMajor, I suspect that PotterFanInHouston THOUGHT he knew his audience. It would be advisable for him to use the simplest of terms possible for those of us unable to keep up, or maybe he should just keep his disagreeable political opinions to him or herself .;-)

Posted by CarolynJ on January 04, 2009, 06:43 PM report to moderator

[The egg] was hollow and completely empty -- but the moment Harry opened it, the most horrible noise, a loud and screechy wailing, filled the room. The nearest thing to it Harry had ever heard was the ghost orchestra at Nearly Headless Nick's deathday par