Toby Jones to Provide Voice of Dobby the House Elf Again for "Deathly Hallows"

DH Film
January 09, 2009, 11:40 AM

In September of last year, Harry Potter film producer David Heyman spoke to TLC about the previous cuts of the House Elves from the films, and their possible return for the two Deathly Hallows movies. At the time David Heyman told us that "it has been a while, for example, since we have seen Dobby and I suspect we are going to have to make more of Dobby in Seven than we might have done. there would be a return of things previously mentioned, like Dobby the House Elf. Today, the Telegraph reports on the career of Toby Jones and states that the actor will "soon be back in the recording studio for the next Harry Potter, in which he voices Dobby the House Elf."

Mr. Jones is then quoted as saying, "That was another job he got on the back of The Play What I Wrote. ''I was so tired, and my voice was so broken up, that when I went to audition, I reached registers I simply couldn't now. It was all very fortuitous.''

Production on two parts of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows begins next month in London, England for a 54 week shoot, with DH part one to be released in November of 2010.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

David

Yes! This is great news. I love Dobby amd it’s nice to know he will be back!

Posted by David on January 09, 2009, 11:57 AM report to moderator
Praty

That is a wonderfull news!!

I LOVE Dobby so much… and I am happy that he will go back on the movies… I was start to thinking that Neville should be that one who save Harry and the others in Malfoy Manor and died for this!! :(

Posted by Praty on January 09, 2009, 12:02 PM report to moderator
Brad

Excellent. Dobby’s involvement in DH was a welcome return, and tragic loss. Glad to hear it’ll be in the film!!

Posted by Brad on January 09, 2009, 12:13 PM report to moderator
LemonFaerie

WHOOHOOOO, Dobby’s IN!!!! Awesome news! It’ll be heartbreaking to see him again, but great to know they are getting some things right from the get-go.

Posted by LemonFaerie on January 09, 2009, 12:16 PM report to moderator
Billy

I don’t think the film producers or Jo would approve of killing off a character who did not meet their demise in the book. Besides Neville needs to slice Nagini’s head off, remember?

Posted by Billy on January 09, 2009, 12:19 PM report to moderator
hambro

Yes. Dobby’s back! Well, he should of been back for most of the other films, but that’s a different matter. Anyway, this is good news, I hope to know soon some more casting news! Can’t wait…

Posted by hambro on January 09, 2009, 12:28 PM report to moderator
MagicDucks

Yay, Dobby’s back! I also was beginning to think that Neville would save Harry & the others, die, and then come back to life in order to kill Nagini.

Posted by MagicDucks on January 09, 2009, 12:32 PM report to moderator
dcrazmo

Of course Dobby will be in DHs. But I doubt his death will mean much to anyone but the most avid fans; most moviegoers clearly won’t remember him from CoS. Doubtful that they will remember Kreacher, either, unless he somehow plays a part in HBP. Although I think that cutting SPEW from the GoF film was the right decision, it did create something of a hole in the story.

Posted by dcrazmo on January 09, 2009, 12:40 PM report to moderator
freshy

apparently, people will feel sorry for Dobby

i heard we’ll see Him more than the Malfoy Manor scene and trajacally dies.
well we’ll to wait and see

Posted by freshy on January 09, 2009, 01:01 PM report to moderator
abandonedboyjon

dh news is getting more regular – sweet. oh, and this news is Huge and Awesome.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on January 09, 2009, 01:01 PM report to moderator
MissHagrid

Yay! I’m so glad Dobby didn’t get get from DH. I guess I’d better bring kleenexes to the movie. I hope they get his last words right (they’re also the first words we hear from Dobby).

Posted by MissHagrid on January 09, 2009, 01:06 PM report to moderator
Tati

YAY!

I’m so happy.. That means they will do Shell Cottage.. And being that his death is so important in Harry choosing Horcruxes over Hallows… I CAN’T WAIT!

Posted by Tati on January 09, 2009, 01:07 PM report to moderator
nick

YAAAAAY!!!!!

Posted by nick on January 09, 2009, 01:10 PM report to moderator
Brianna

Oh, thank god, i was starting to think that he wasn’t going to be in it. He was the saddest death in the book in my opinion, i cried like crazy!

Posted by Brianna on January 09, 2009, 01:18 PM report to moderator
GinaC

Awesome news! There was a growing chorus of people who were totally ready for Kreacher to take Dobby’s place, and I never could understand that. Thank goodness this will hopefully nip that rumor in the bud. As for being concerned about movie goers not remembering Dobby, it does sound like they’re going to try to put him back in prior to his death and get us a little more attached to him, so I think it could be done right. I probably shouldn’t, but I’m getting VERY optimistic about Deathly Hallows. It sounds like they’re going to try to really stick to the book (at least that’s what they say), and that’s fantastic.

Posted by GinaC on January 09, 2009, 01:19 PM report to moderator

"Longbottom?" repeated Bellatrix, and a truly evil smile lit her gaunt face. "Why, I have had the pleasure of meeting your parents, boy..."[br]"I DOE YOU HAB!" roared Neville, and he fought so hard against his captor's encircling grip that the Death Eater