Not Just the Big D: Harry Melling Talks Life after Dudley and Harry Potter

Melling Interviews
October 06, 2009, 06:08 AM

There is a new and rare interview online today in the Telegraph with actor Harry Melling better known to readers as Dudley Dursley in the Harry Potter films. The young actor, who is currently appearing on stage in London with Fiona Shaw (who plays his mother, Harry's Aunt Petunia in the Potter films) discusses his career, life on the Potter films and his hopes for the future. The piece mentions the now 20 year old has lost some weight recently and looks nothing like Big D in the series.  "Dudley doesn't feature in the sixth Potter film, so there was a long gap between playing the butterball bully in the fifth, aged 16, and shooting the seventh film, this year. In the meantime, he had changed almost beyond recognition, to the producers' alarm. "They did this double-take, 'Oh my God, we are going to have to do something,' and I felt very guilty. They could have recast, but instead they padded me out."

We also learn more about the acting family that Harry belongs too, as well as his interaction with cast members on the Harry Potter films:

This focus on his career is, no doubt, the result of coming from a family riddled with actors. His grandfather, Patrick Troughton, was, for many, the greatest Dr Who. His uncles, Michael and David Troughton, and his cousin Sam, are all actors. His illustrator mother, Joanna Troughton, was keen to give Harry a chance, too. "She sent off my photos to the producers of the Potter films when I was 10, thinking I might be an extra. A year later I was asked to read for Dudley. When I got the part, I thought: 'Ooh, I'm in a film', not that I was cast as fat and ugly.'"

Wasn't being associated with the hateful Dudley a curse? "I kept quiet about it. Nobody ever recognised me."

He minded more about not being one of the Hogwarts' children. When people asked him about the films, and what Michael Gambon or Julie Walters were like, he would have to say, "Dunno, I've never met them." But, stuck in Privet Drive, he did get to work with Richard Griffiths and Fiona Shaw, who play Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia, Dudley's parents. "Just watching them was an education. Fiona taught me a Caliban speech, which I later used to get into drama school."

...

"I always thought he would be a marvellous character actor," Shaw says, "but he's turned into a marvellous leading actor. Suddenly I feel I'm looking at Hamlet." Compared to Daniel Radcliffe, whom he once envied, Melling now realises that he was lucky not to be one of the Hogwarts' leads. His career got off to an early start, but without the irksome trappings of fame, or the danger of being typecast. "I can now shed the child-actor thing, like the fat, and start a new career, because no one sees me as Dudley."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Melling Interviews News

____73_thumb

hahahahahaha

Posted by wing on October 16, 2009, 02:36 AM report to moderator
____73_thumb

hahahahahaha

Posted by wing on October 16, 2009, 02:36 AM report to moderator
Me1_thumb

omg, he looks so different. I’m glad they’re bringing the Dursleys back into it (they should have been in the sixth!). it wouldn’t be a good ending without them

Posted by rowena.ravenclaw. on October 18, 2009, 07:59 PM report to moderator
Avatars-kix_thumb

He lost a lot of weight.

Posted by Nagini's dinner on February 09, 2010, 01:53 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

he never looked like Dudley to me, but he’s grown out of it waay too much!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

he never looked like Dudley to me, but he’s grown out of it waay too much!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

he never looked like Dudley to me, but he’s grown out of it waay too much!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

he never looked like Dudley to me, but he’s grown out of it waay too much!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

he never looked like Dudley to me, but he’s grown out of it waay too much!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

he never looked like Dudley to me, but he’s grown out of it waay too much!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

he never looked like Dudley to me, but he’s grown out of it waay too much!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Avi_thumb

he never looked like Dudley to me, but he’s grown out of it waay too much!!

Posted by DesQueJteVois on June 25, 2010, 03:26 PM report to moderator

"Want one, Granger?" said Malfoy, holding out a badge to Hermione. "I've got loads. But don't touch my hand, now. I've just washed it, you see; I don't want a Mudblood sliming it up."