Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

Nano_09_winner_100x100_thumb

What I still don’t get it people are saying SMeyer is just inexperienced. She’s written five books! Philosopher’s Stone was better than all of them, and it was Jo’s first!

Posted by Mr Prewett «Я☼AR» on February 04, 2009, 07:12 AM report to moderator
N48913080_45953965_1570820_thumb

lol YES Stephen King. this guy is just awesome

Posted by Chad on February 04, 2009, 07:13 AM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Prof_Tofty, and Meyer has written 5 books and is still bad. How much time do you need?

Posted by mollywobble on February 04, 2009, 07:15 AM report to moderator

Stephen King is my hero! He is completely right. I read twlight for the story and then tried out the host and found it completely unbearable. She is a horrible writer and I really hate it any time she is compared to Jo.

Posted by JarrodK on February 04, 2009, 07:15 AM report to moderator

Posted by JarrodK on February 04, 2009, 07:15 AM report to moderator
Davidtennant_thumb

I’m a big Twilight & Harry Potter fan though I actually agree with him. When it comes to writing, Meyer lacks quality very much. It is the story that attracts most readers but when you think of it, the writing and register is very ordinary and it also fits the audience. J.K Rowling has a better writing but her writing is also rather ordinary compare to many other authors style (Toni Morrison, Jeanette Winterson, Ian McEwan, James Joyce and many many more) but then, all of them have different stylistic style because they have different purpose and audience :)

Posted by thereshegoes on February 04, 2009, 07:31 AM report to moderator
Davidtennant_thumb

I meant stylistic language* Not stylistic style. Sorry XD

Posted by thereshegoes on February 04, 2009, 07:32 AM report to moderator
Young_riddle2_thumb

hm, im still deciding whether or not to read twilight, but i can imagine the uproar this statement will cause =D I’ve just never been a fan of the way twilight and ms meyer are compared to harry potter and Jo. We all know there is no comparison =D

Posted by iLoveDolores [FTC!] on February 04, 2009, 07:35 AM report to moderator

i reckon Stephen king’s writing is boring,long winded and old fashioned, his stories always have similar endings,i can normally read the first page of a book and can tell straight away if i will enjoy the authors style of writing. In my opinion Stephen king can’t write worth a darn and is maybe causing uproar for some publicity to fuel his already dying following. harry potter and twilight are great for people who want to read something light but good at the same time.

Posted by crimpy00 on February 04, 2009, 07:48 AM report to moderator
Harry-potter-legos_thumb

There’s definitely a difference between being a great writer and a great storyteller. Even a badly written book with a gripping storyline (like those popular authors mentioned) can be a decent read. I think most are just one or the other. Jo is both. That’s what makes HP so good.

Posted by jamiba on February 04, 2009, 07:49 AM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

Ah, thank you, Stephen King. Though I don’t agree with the James Patterson part, I certainly agree with you in the case of SMeyer.

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on February 04, 2009, 07:53 AM report to moderator
Wolfpatronus2_thumb

I have read the Twilight books(all of them) and Stpehanie Meyer’s writing style is not very good. Jo has much better styled books, and I try to copy her writing style when I write fanfics and short stories in school. Don’t mean to brag, but, I do get top grades on every short story I write :P Anyway, I think Jo is a better author, even though I love Twilight as much as I love Harry Potter.

Posted by half-blood queen~ROAR~ on February 04, 2009, 08:08 AM report to moderator
9732044_thumb

I dub thee, Mister King a member of Goodreads.com Twilight Hater’s Group. dub dub >.< I used to be Twitard, but fortunately for me and everyone sane around me, I have seen the light. So I guess that partially answers one of the member’s question about Twitards not minding the mistakes due to the blinding effect of their sheer obsession to an inexcusable so called literature.

I know… harsh and that’s coming from a former twitard.

This interview has been posted on a site called bellaandedward.com bleagh even the fans are uncreative…

I have to tell you guys, someone/people keeps saying that Mister King is just jealous of SM’s success.

I have told them that they missed a point. JK has sold millions of more books than SM and Ms. Rowling is more successful than SM would ever be. So I don’t think her argument that Mister King is jealous of SM’s success could even be considered accurate, or in a manner of speaking, correct.

And I think he would be just fine. I doubt the twitards are smart enough to assasinate him. All he will get are some comments from strangers; aka the twihards. If I was him, I wouldn’t care. I don’t know them and they sure don’t know me. Okay… maybe they do know him but hey! He’s popular enough to be in the eyes of the public.

So anyone who tries anything funny with him can easily be sued in court. >.<

That’s where money becomes important. >.<

Sorry if I keep yapping about Twilight in an HP website.

If anyone is interested, you can join the group I am moderating in goodreads.com

Just search for our group called Twilight Haters.

And with rtpuppydog’s comment: “…But I’m hoping that Stephen King wasn’t completely serious, maybe exaggerating a little. I think that being able to get a book published is a great honor. Even though some books can be terrible, it is still a lot of effort”

I do actually agree with the very statement you have posted before that I have post in this comment.

The twilight saga was a nice read… but I started to realise the sluggish pace at the 2nd book, Bella’s bit*hy personality in the 3rd, and her weird raping attempts in the 4th book- the book that made me realise how she was, in fact, a not so good author as I have thought.

Posted by Candy-Rain on February 04, 2009, 08:11 AM report to moderator

Thank you, Stephen King! This is exactly what needed to be said. I’m sorry, and I feel sort of bad about saying it, but Stephanie Meyers books aren’t at all well written, and I think they’re on an entirely different (and lower) level from the HP books. I know that I have a bias, because I’m first and foremost a HP fan, but the comparing of the two to each other was driving me crazy.

I’m also glad he mentioned Jodi Picoult. She is an absolutely amazing writer, and if you have not read anything by her, go read some. NOW! =D

Posted by Cody (slythphoenix) on February 04, 2009, 08:18 AM report to moderator
Interim_new_zealand8_monoscale_thumb

Lol!
Kingy has always been such a fantastic fan of J.K. Rowling. I love how he’s just like us, giving snide comments, but still keeping the cool, arrogant head of a proud Harry Potter fan.

LOVE HIM!
His article about the Deathly Hallows was great. You can tell he loves the books like us.

Posted by burningpumpkins on February 04, 2009, 08:26 AM report to moderator

There was a moment's silence, then the elf let out his loudest cackle yet. "Master will not come back from the Department of Mysteries!" he said gleefully. "Kreacher and his Mistress are alone again!"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014