Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

Hugow_thumb

Thank you Stephen King! Finally, someone with a voice of reason. :)

I like Stephenie Meyer’s books… but they are no where in the same league as J.K. Rowling.

Posted by Tygerz on February 03, 2009, 09:58 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_m2rela3or11qdoyv4o1_500_thumb

I don’t much like Twilight (and I’ve read the first three) so this made my day =) =) =). Thank you Stephen King! I hope he lives through all the hate he’s gonna get tho.

Posted by *ariana_dumbledore* on February 03, 2009, 09:59 PM report to moderator
445629313_2d2af3ca46_thumb

Yes, thank you Steven King.

Posted by ~*~Krystle~*~ on February 03, 2009, 10:01 PM report to moderator
Imagen009_thumb

thanks stephen king

finally!!!!!!!! someone said it

Posted by selene21 (ROAR) on February 03, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
N2525925_39708038_8418_thumb

Stephen King is my new hero. I love to hear criticisms of Stephanie Meyer coming from legitimate places. It makes me feel vindicated.

Posted by Aduende on February 03, 2009, 10:06 PM report to moderator
Animated_tom-voldemort_thumb

Ok, that’s it… I now plan to read EVERY book by Stephen King… lolz…

Well, to tell you the truth I’ve never read Stephanie Meyer, so I can’t judge. But I do know a bit of Mr. King’s work and I do like it. I saw Twilight cause I had to take my li’l sister… honestly, for me, it was boring, but that’s me.
So who knows, only those who have read Mrs. Meyer’s work will know if Mr. King was a bit harsh or much too soft.

Posted by Dark Lord Hector on February 03, 2009, 10:07 PM report to moderator
Photo_10_thumb

i mean he has such a valid point. stephenie has nothing on jo. but i dont think people read twilight for its good writing just like king said. but idk saying it like that he just sounds so rude. she is an author her writing is her job.

Posted by alanayvonne on February 03, 2009, 10:09 PM report to moderator
Tomato_thumb

LP Dantas is right, this is not gonna be pretty.

I am guilty of liking Twilight, however, it’s in the same way many other like chick flicks, because they’re cute and fluffy.

Posted by redraven on February 03, 2009, 10:13 PM report to moderator
Foto446_05

King, you are awesome. Twilight is a Harlequin novel for thirteen year olds with a liking for fantasy who still live in a masculine-based society straight out from the Hollywood novels of the fifties, and right out of their romanticized minds. I worry about all the adults who believe Bella is a good example for any girl- in what kind of world do they wish to live?

Posted by Bell Dema [FTC!!!] on February 03, 2009, 10:13 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_thumb

Oh dang!

Posted by Lady of the Lake on February 03, 2009, 10:14 PM report to moderator
Daisy_thumb

Goodness, people are so narrow minded in their views of what makes good literature. If a piece of writing doesn’t teach something, or have a deeper meaning then it is automatically considered bad writing. People need to learn to look at literature not only as a means to convey subtle and complex ideas, but also as a way to simply create something beautiful for itself, it’s the same way with art.

Posted by andie on February 03, 2009, 10:16 PM report to moderator

Yep, that’s my fellow Mainer telling it like it is.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on February 03, 2009, 10:17 PM report to moderator

Or, since we are both Mainers, I guess I should have started with ayuh.

Posted by jeannemclROAR on February 03, 2009, 10:19 PM report to moderator
760288_thumb

I agree, I read a few pages of “Twilight” and I felt brain cells dying. It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one that thinks that Meyer’s writing is a bit subpar.

Posted by purplecat on February 03, 2009, 10:19 PM report to moderator
Photo_41_thumb

I am all about Stephen King right now! I read Twilight, and yes I enjoyed it thoroughly, but in that soap opera ‘omg this is so bad’ guilty pleasure sort of way. Then it started coming out that she was being compared to Jo and I was stunned. Meyer’s work can not in any way be held up to that quality. Harry Potter changed my life and my view on this world. Twilight gave me a week or two of nerd girl trashy fun…

Posted by A*ROAR*a Borealis on February 03, 2009, 10:20 PM report to moderator

"I think I know who that one's from," said Ron, turning a bit pink and pointing to a very lumpy parcel. "My mom. I told her you didn't expect any presents and -- oh, no," he groaned, "she's made you a Weasley sweater."