Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

Picture_3_thumb

Oh Stephen King, you took the words right out of my mouth! And I agree about the James Patterson – how the hell did he get successful?

Posted by Araminta1987 on February 03, 2009, 11:36 PM report to moderator
67_richardoud_thumb

snickers Well put King.
No, her writing is NOT brilliant, and should therefore never be compared to JKR, however the story IS good trashy-ish fun. Ah well, whoever said good writing was a prerequisite for a best seller?

A best seller which was knocked into it’s place by Beedle the Bard ;)

Posted by Noella_Mansrot [Raven] {WBM} on February 03, 2009, 11:36 PM report to moderator

Those of you saying Meyer just needs more experience seem to forget that JKR has written 7 novels to Meyers 5. How much more gosh darn, to borrow from mr king, experience does she need before she stops being a bad writer. And the only reason I feel so strongly about this is because somewhere in the past year people started called Meyer the next Jo and that is SO wrong. I just don’t like it when things get attention they don’t deserve.

Posted by patel on February 03, 2009, 11:38 PM report to moderator
Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

Stephan King nailed it, except that he still compared Jo and Meyer. To me, this issue has nothing to do with comparing them. As stand alone books, the Twilight series is just bad and that has no reflection on anything else. Someone above was trying to say that just because he is a famous author, that does not make him an authority on “literature.” That may be, but the fact is, there is a huge difference between an “entertaining story” (which is opinion and therefore not open to debate. No one can tell you your opinions are wrong. They’re yours) and actual literature. There are quantifiable measures in place to judge whether a piece of work qualifies as literature. Whether it was entertaining or not has little to do with it (witness the “literary” classic Moby Dick. Yawn.) Twilight does NOT qualify as literature. The writing is so bad it is painful to read. And yes, I have read the first three. I can’t make myself read the fourth, I would rather stab myself through the heart with hot pokers. A good STORYTELLER captures her readers imaginations. That does NOT make her a good writer. Stephanie Meyer is not a good writer. Thank God someone in the public eye finally had the guts to say so out loud.

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on February 03, 2009, 11:39 PM report to moderator

In my opinion, Meyer’s got a good, quick, easy to read story. However, Potter is just better written, there is so much more depth and substance to Rowling’s work.

Posted by WeasleyGirl93 on February 03, 2009, 11:41 PM report to moderator
Photo_65_thumb

I think he is right, JK Rowling is a totally different league to Meyer but it is not very nice to say it like that. Twilight has a large fan base so obviously there is something in her stories that appeal to people.

Posted by PrincessGilly on February 03, 2009, 11:44 PM report to moderator
Img_0305_thumb

Well…that just helps me out. I haven’t read the Twilight books yet and I have heard so many mixed reviews about them so I haven’t jumped to go get them. I think I will just hold off and maybe someday, when I finish the huge list of books I want to read, maybe then I will pick them up.

And he also mentioned Jodi Piccoult, I have to say that I have read many of her books and they are wonderful. They aren’t fantasy or anything, but they are all great stories. “My Sister’s Keeper” was the first one of hers that I read and it was amazing. The topic is a bit controversial, but it is a very, very touching story. I highly recommend it!

Posted by IWannaBeAWeasley on February 03, 2009, 11:44 PM report to moderator
Me_aveclechapeaud_aretha_thumb

BEYOND AMAZING.

Posted by accio_salmon on February 03, 2009, 11:45 PM report to moderator
Red_dress_159_thumb

Oh good Lord! Personally I don’t think Meyer is as good a writer as Rowling,but who is anyway. And I don’t really like King’s writing style.

I mean his plots are good, yes but his writing style… I don’t know, for me i feel like he leaves something to be desired for.

I haven’t read any of those other books, not much into reading main stream fic ( I stumbled upon Harry Potter when it was still in it’s infancy and i actually own a 1st edition Twilight)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so here’s mine:

1. I enjoy reading ANYTHING by Jo and never feel like she jipped me on the story.

2. Meyer writes an interesting plot and funny quotes and gets into the teen mind fairy well. Still I consider her stuff well not to be lyrical, fluff.

3. King, may be considered ‘king’ among some circles but other than a few clever twist plots, his story plots and climaxes mostly leave me disappointed.

My two cents.

Posted by aryell on February 03, 2009, 11:49 PM report to moderator
Metshat_thumb

Oh. Yes.

Love that man.

Posted by sniffles612 on February 03, 2009, 11:55 PM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

WOW that was a little mean. I don’t think Meyer is a good writer, but I did enjoy the series. It was fun…and I am way more willing to read a Meyer story than a King novel. So he should just shut his trap. T

his reminds me of the Family Guy with King pitching his next story lol

Posted by levi-OH-sa, not levio-SA [neville♥myhero] on February 04, 2009, 12:02 AM report to moderator
Ipood_thumb

I don’t like King’s writing or his stories, but I agree with what he said. Just not how he said it, exactly.

I have read and enjoyed the first three books in the Twilight series. While I agree that Meyer is not an experienced or mature writer, I would not call her bad. She does have a really fun story that keeps your attention and that makes up for the lack of experience to people who are looking for a good story. Like a majority of her audience.

And Jo is in a league ALL her own.

Posted by avemarie on February 04, 2009, 12:02 AM report to moderator
Rupes_thumb

I agree wholeheartedly. This Pwns. Her books are disgustingly horrible and teach young girls to be subservient and man obsessed.

Posted by EruditeWitch on February 04, 2009, 12:07 AM report to moderator

Too true! But I bet those twifans are going to send Cujo, Carri and Christine after you, Mr King!

Posted by pottershrink on February 04, 2009, 12:10 AM report to moderator
Avatars_books_bookart_jun_002_thumb

I would have to agree. The Twilight Saga is not written very well at all. There are so many grammatical errors… and yet she sucks you in and you have to know what happens to these characters. I also feel that she over dramatizes things. I still like the books, but they’re nothing compared to Harry Potter :)

Posted by ElVampiro9878 on February 04, 2009, 12:14 AM report to moderator

"Now, Harry, I'm going to teach you a little lesson. Let's match the powers of Lord Voldemort, Heir of Salazar Slytherin, against famous Harry Potter, and the best weapons Dumbledore can give him...."