Stephen King Comments on JK Rowling and Stephenie Meyer

Celebs on HP
February 03, 2009, 07:52 PM

Scores of readers let us know about a new interview with acclaimed author Stephen King, who has made some new comments regarding Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer. Speaking with USA Weekend, Mr. King compared the two authors and had some blunt things to say about the Twilight author Meyer. Quotage as follows:

Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

"Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Celebs on HP News

N1585320109_30028278_6922_thumb

Oh wow, I knew there was a reason I liked Stephen King. Good for him! This is going to get interesting though…watch out for those Twilighters, they’re vicious.

Posted by Kelsey on February 04, 2009, 12:16 AM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

Did anyone ever think otherwise? I enjoyed reading the Twilight books and LOVED the last two, but I never once thought she was actually a good writer. It was just a fun story but I would definitely get annoyed with it from time to time. You can like Twilight without having to compare it to Harry Potter. Just because Harry Potter is better doesn’t mean Twilight is terrible. It’s just fun.

Posted by eiVega on February 04, 2009, 12:19 AM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

I love it, twillight is not for me.

Posted by placebowiz on February 04, 2009, 12:21 AM report to moderator
Portrait-snape-av_thumb

In terms of quality Harry Potter and Twilight aren’t comparable. HP wins hands down. The Twilight books can be a fun read (I’m on the last one) but I never expected them to be quality literature. They are like the B-Movie of books.

It must stink to have Stephen King pan your work, though. LOL.

Posted by boushh on February 04, 2009, 12:34 AM report to moderator
Lightning_thumb

Wow, Stephen King is blunt. He must be receiving a lot of hate mails right now. I agree with him though. I don’t think Stephenie Meyer can really compare to Rowling. JK. Is. Too. Darn. Good.

Posted by chaos35 on February 04, 2009, 12:53 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

I agree, while Stephanie writes a compelling story it is not amazing writing. JK Rowling is Charles Dickens, while Stephanie is a penny dreadful. (for anyone else obsessed with regency and victorian periods of england.

Posted by waffleshouse on February 04, 2009, 01:08 AM report to moderator
-_owl_post_-_thumb

I agree with Stephen King’s opinion, but I am a little annoyed that these comparisons between JK Rowling and other authors won’t cease! Don’t get me wrong, no other book series has yet come to occupy such a big place in my heart as the Harry Potter series has, and I doubt that any other book will have the same effect. I think Jo is a wonderful, creative, engaging and very talented writer and storyteller. Even from the first book you can tell how amazing Jo is and, from the first read, the Harry Potter books have been my favorite. However, I enjoyed and continue to enjoy the Twilight series as well and I don’t think the authors or the series can be compared AT ALL with each other. Well, maybe in that both writers are female… that’s it…
Anyways, I agree with the OPINION that Stephenie Meyer is not a great writer (yet?), but I think that she is a great storyteller and her writing has been progressively getting better with every new book. I think the same of Christopher Paolini; I like the Inheritance cycle, but I don’t think he’s the best writer out there. Still, I am captivated by the story and I feel that with each book Paolini’s writing improves, so I am a fan.
Writing styles aside, I can appreciate from all these authors the creativity that they bring to modern literature and enjoy their stories. I don’t believe there are any benefits in comparing authors to one other, or any type of artists for that matter.

Posted by Felipe on February 04, 2009, 01:09 AM report to moderator
Usagi-chan_thumb

Woo! Maybe now people will stop comparing JKR with Stephenie because their style of writing and stories and completely different! However, I can now see some Twilight fans ready to draw blood and about to start boycotting his books…At least that’s what I think. Oh well, glad he pointed it out though, because he’s awesome!

Posted by FedoraBandit on February 04, 2009, 01:13 AM report to moderator
Iconator_e5413e9850e2294d5bfb655a9ead163b_thumb

I agree!!! JKR rocks!!!!!!! Stephanie Meyer is not good!!!

Posted by PadfootLover4ever on February 04, 2009, 01:21 AM report to moderator
14202936_thumb

I have to disagree with King. Meyer writes books for a particular audience, and for a middle school reading level… the same level that Rowling writes for. The difference is that Meyer is relating to teen girls more than all teens like Rowling. I don’t think King had the right to make that comment, and I know a lot of people that are going to be unhappy with it, but over all I think that the comment was out of line, uncalled for and wrong. But then agin I don’t like King’s novels.

P.S. I LOVE JODI PICOULT

Posted by littlefurlo3 on February 04, 2009, 01:24 AM report to moderator
20110227_001_thumb

Heh….this coming from an author who tells you characters are going to die a few chapters before it happens….

Nah, I agree with him though. Meyer isn’t a fantastic writer but the books are great.

Posted by Bookworm_Weasley {HS} {ROAR} on February 04, 2009, 01:31 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

he is correct in saying that JK is awesome, but to say that Stephanie Meyer can’t write is kind of harsh. i don’t think her story was intended to be a literary masterpiece. its just a compelling story…from what i’m told. i haven’t read them but the story has been a huge success. it fulfilled its intention to be a form of entertainment. that is all. no intentions of being compared to JK Rowling and Harry Potter when they aren’t even alike. a good story should be accepted for what it is…a good story.

Posted by potterfan2121 on February 04, 2009, 01:38 AM report to moderator
14202936_thumb

hey i would like to say, you say meyer has mistakes!!!! I read harry potter and i find more spelling mistakes than necessary!!! although all of my hp books are 1st edition so they might have changed it by now, but i didn’t find spelling mistakes in twilight.

Posted by littlefurlo3 on February 04, 2009, 01:41 AM report to moderator
Anteater_thumb

i’m appalled at stephenie meyer’s editors as much as with her writing….what were they THINKING? the story IS compelling, and i think with proper editing her writing could even be considered good. but as it is it’s almost embarrassing to read.

Posted by Daate on February 04, 2009, 01:49 AM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

I think Mr. King said it exactly right: Meyer is a TERRIBLE writer, in terms of word choice and simple continuity errors and style. I’m slightly confused at how she got a degree in English, actually; I’m guessing that she didn’t take any creative writing courses.

This all being said, I think that the other writers mentioned weren’t put in the correct categories, but never mind.

Posted by TheCrogePodge on February 04, 2009, 01:50 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Harry looked between them, then said, "Mrs. Weasley, you didn't believe that rubbish Rita Skeeter wrote in [i]Witch Weekly,[/i] did you? Because Hermione's not my girlfriend."[br]"Oh!" said Mrs. Weasley. "No -- of course I didn't!"[br]But she became consi