Harry Potter Fans for Hope in Rwanda

Fans
Posted by: Melissa
March 18, 2009, 10:49 PM

This week, through Sunday March 22, Harry Potter fans are coming together to create videos that contribute to the Candles for Rwanda Project. The HP Alliance is spearheading the effort to collect hundreds of videos from Harry Potter fans worldwide.

April 7th is the 15th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide, where about 1 million people were killed in 100 days. At the time most of the global community remained passive. To show that we recognize the people of Rwanda as part of the international community, we are submitting videos that will be played on CandlesforRwanda.org, and the best of which will be played at the memorial that will take place in Rwanda on the anniversary.

Making a video is easy: It should be no longer than 30 seconds, and the file size no longer than 100MB. All you do is light a candle, look into the camera, say, "Hi, my name is [name (your name is optional)] and I'm lighting a candle of hope for Rwanda." Then you hold the candle for about 10 seconds; this part is really important.

Send your video to videos@thehpalliance.org. If you can't send it in e-mail, you can use YouSendIt to make sure the file gets through.

The Harry Potter community is working together with the Nerdfighting community to gather videos; please watch this video at the Vlogbrothers channel for more explanation of this project and why it's important to contribute.

While Accio Books! is growing strong, taking part in this project will earn 50 points for your House. Let your prefect know you've submitted a video and he or she will assign you points.

Please submit your video by March 22. Thanks so much!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

Been spreading this everywhere on groups. Glad that it’s on here so that everyone could catch up. The points are good but this is for a good cause which is the main thing, so I hope everyone will join. I’ll create mine surely before 22. :)

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on March 18, 2009, 10:59 PM report to moderator

Yes! I already made my video!

Posted by jenbabe705 on March 18, 2009, 11:01 PM report to moderator
Just_me_thumb

I have made my video too…and I also started a group so you could post a link to your video so that everyone can view these great videos.

To find the group on MyLeaky…just search for Rwanda and it should come up. Keep the videos coming as this is a wonderful project and I can’t wait to see the final product…let all the candles of hope light Rwanda and give them hope!!!

Posted by chuckaw on March 18, 2009, 11:07 PM report to moderator
Old_school_025__2__thumb

I just joined the HPA a few days ago for Accio Books. I’m so glad I did! I always knew this was a loving, giving fandom but I never completely realized how dedicated everyone is! It makes me proud to be a HP fan (especially a Hufflepuff!)

Posted by Lis Lovegood on March 18, 2009, 11:12 PM report to moderator
Picture_1_thumb

i made my video the other day. who are the prefects so we can claim our points?

Posted by HollyHogwarts *Roar* on March 18, 2009, 11:20 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

i’m gonna have to find a candle..

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on March 19, 2009, 12:09 AM report to moderator
Wrock_021_thumb

This is a great charity and a great cause, but I think that giving away points is taking away from the whole spirit of giving and caring.

Posted by Sarep [WBM] [IFTC] [Penguin] on March 19, 2009, 06:54 AM report to moderator
Dsc02812__2__thumb
I guess I’m going to have to get up to speed with all you folks & get some type of video deal for our computer…currently we don’t have that capability. The HPA does so many wonderful things. This project will be a very beautiful and powerful one.
Posted by Lillylove on March 19, 2009, 07:37 AM report to moderator
Paolo_nutini2_thumb

We got perfect. . . ???

Posted by Sidish_black6 [WBM] on March 19, 2009, 09:19 AM report to moderator
Paolo_nutini2_thumb

I mean prefect. . . :)

Posted by Sidish_black6 [WBM] on March 19, 2009, 09:19 AM report to moderator
Laurie_kins_yahoo

Everyone that can light a candle……please do so. This is important.

Posted by snapealicious on March 19, 2009, 09:31 AM report to moderator
Dscn2551_thumb

I think this is a great cause to stand up for and help! I’m still surprised to find out that my friends don’t know about this, or don’t know enough to care! Slowly, but surely, the word is getting out, and everyone should help light a candle for this.

Posted by AlexCarpenterFanGirl on March 19, 2009, 10:43 AM report to moderator
1973 Points

Honestly, this is so simple. Please do it! Even if you are not a Ravenclaw, you should. I did mine a few days back. And I didn’t burn myself. If I can do it, so can you.

Posted by u on March 19, 2009, 10:46 AM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

This a wonderful cause. I should get more involved in this sort of work.

Posted by Garden State Geek on March 19, 2009, 12:13 PM report to moderator

I made mine yesterday and I just sent it in! Such an awesome and easy way of showing you care. :)

Posted by kendra.dumbledore on March 19, 2009, 12:29 PM report to moderator

"You have a habit of turning up in unexpected places, Potter, and you are very rarely there for no good reason..."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014