Deathly Hallows Casting News: Ciaran Hinds to Play Aberforth Dumbledore, More on Nick Moran

DH Film
March 23, 2009, 09:49 AM

We have some more big casting news today regarding Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. TLC can report that Ciaran Hinds has been cast in the role of Aberforth Dumbledore in the final installments of the Harry Potter film series. While not yet officially confirmed with WB, we believe this to be correct. Speaking with reps for the actor, we were told expectations and hopes certainly are that Ciaran Hinds will be taking on the role of helpful Order of the Phoenix member in the final Harry Potter films. You can see photos of Ciaran Hinds here ,here and here.

A widely acclaimed actor, Ciaran Hinds has appeared in such films as Munich, There Will be Blood, Road to Perdition, Persuasion, Hallam Foe, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, and most recently voiced a part in the film The Tale of Despereaux with Emma Watson (Hermione) and Robbie Coltrane (Hagrid). Well known to TV audiences for his appearance in the hit HBO series, Rome, Ciaran Hinds once starred in a film called The Cook The Thief His Wife & Her Lover, which also co-starred Michael Gambon, who of course portrays Albus Dumbledore, the brother of Aberforth. Please note: For those who have asked, actor Jim McManus appeared in as the "Barman" at the Hogshead in OotP, where the character of Aberforth works. As WB does not normally comment on rumors such as this casting and others, we continue to wait for a formal release confirming and addressing all the casting for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. More when we get it!

Finally, TLC has also learned that it is believed Nick Moran will be playing the part of Scabior, one of the Snatchers who works with Greyback in the events at Malfoy Manor.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hufflepuff_thumb

He does look like Michael Gambon. Hopefully they can make his eyes look like Gambon’s, too, since that’s kind of important with the whole mirror thing.

Posted by tubaturtle on March 23, 2009, 11:30 AM report to moderator
The-moose_thumb

I dont know this actor at all (I still havent seen the Tales of Despereaux) but, I’m happy Aberforth will be in DH. Maybe I’m mistaken but, I thought Aberforth was in OoTP … does this mean a different actor will be playing the role?

Posted by Moose_Starr on March 23, 2009, 11:40 AM report to moderator
Voila_thumb

Awesome! He’s a fantastic actor! :)

Posted by maera-kyrie on March 23, 2009, 11:41 AM report to moderator
216cougar2_thumb

It is hard what to think, with the aberforth from ootp, and now we learn we have a new one, we will just have to wait and see.

Posted by Arthur22 on March 23, 2009, 11:44 AM report to moderator
Picture0093_thumb

Totally not how I imagined him to look – never seen anything with him in though, so hopeully he can act the part well.

Posted by Serpensortia [FTC!] on March 23, 2009, 11:47 AM report to moderator

Wonderful actor, Loved him since the BBC movie “Persuasion”. He will do wonderfully in this this one too.

Posted by Vicki21 on March 23, 2009, 11:49 AM report to moderator
Pru2_thumb
2016 Points

I am most seriously dis-pleased!

Yes Alberforth was in OotP… We saw the bar man and his goat as the Trio entered the Hogs Head. I just looked on the OoyP Credits and ‘Barman’ was played by Jim McManus according to wiki

“McManus briefly played Aberforth Dumbledore in the fifth Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and will play him again in Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince.” But if this new casting is to be believed I’m a bit confused!

Wouldn’t it have been better to keep the same actor to DH. It would have been the first in the movies a background character would’ve become something big. I think I’ll feel a bit short changed now… See I left the OotP in the Cinema and commented to my hubby that that bar man was Alberforth (I saw the goat!)

But at least we know that which the change in actors means a more serious use of the character… And I spos it’ll be easier for them to make him look like Alberforth…

Posted by JustSuperMione on March 23, 2009, 11:55 AM report to moderator
8b23294eb01675737c1d66ad719c6e95_thumb

I have only the pics here to go by. Each looks very different to me so I had to double-take, first kind of steamy, then like Maurice from Northern Exposure (not steamy), then more Aberforth. I like him!

Posted by Mollywobbles on March 23, 2009, 11:59 AM report to moderator
Flying-ford-anglia-resized-128_thumb

I don’t think I know him but from the picture he looks quite good for the part. I’m happy. :)

Posted by Immortal Phoenix on March 23, 2009, 12:02 PM report to moderator

I’m sure Hinds will do well as he’s a great actor. But, I was really hoping that Patrick Stewart would get the part of Aberforth. Stewart is one of my favorite actors, and he also looks a lot like Gambon. Plus he’s already said he would love to be in the Potter series. Maybe they will find another part for him? Please David Yates!

Posted by TrioFan on March 23, 2009, 12:05 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

That must be him in the role of King Herod in “The Nativity Story,” which I saw only snippets of.

Posted by Garden State Geek on March 23, 2009, 12:07 PM report to moderator
Asha_and_caleb_thumb

I haven’t seen it, but he also did a version of Jane Eyre. It’s one of my favorite books.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on March 23, 2009, 12:13 PM report to moderator
Me_chris_snap_thumb

A very good choice. Another amazing actor…. and the HP tide continues.

Posted by Vineeth Thomas on March 23, 2009, 12:23 PM report to moderator
Johnb_thumb

OK, lets get down to real business, does he read the books {or at least intends too}, unlike his in picture brother???

Which is real funny now that I think about it, because in the books, Albus Dumbledore is obvious the big reader and there were questions if Aberforth Dumbledore could read at all, hence if it turns out the people who portray them on film are the exact opposites… well now that I have typed this out, it is not very funny, but when I thought about it, it was lol

Posted by JohnB on March 23, 2009, 12:39 PM report to moderator

CiarĂ¡n Hinds? For some reason I find that amazing. I never thought of him as far as movie casting go. He’ll be great.

Posted by halcyon /roar/ on March 23, 2009, 12:59 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

...by the time she had interpreted Harry's dreams at the top of her voice (all of which, even the ones that involved eating porridge, apparently foretold a gruesome and early death), he was feeling much less sympathetic toward her.