Dan Radcliffe Says Split of Movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a "Tense Cliffhanger"

DH Film
April 21, 2009, 05:29 AM

The new issue of Empire Magazine is set to contain a new feature on the Harry Potter films, with new interviews from actor Dan Radcliffe and producer David Heyman. Empire has released an excerpt, where the pair discuss the splitting of the two movies for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. While he did not specific where exactly the split is to take place, producer David Heyman talks about the thought behind selecting the split point. He says:

"We've played around with a couple of places," said Heyman, "and ultimately settled on a place that we think is very exciting, and I think quite bold, in that it's not necessarily where one might expect. You want to give a sense of completion, on one hand, but a sense that there's another piece, more to come. We tried one and then Steve (Kloves, screenwriter) came up with the idea to try it another way and when we tried that, it felt just right."

Daniel Radcliffe added that the split is "at a very tense cliffhanger", which may be a bigger clue for fans.

They also speak to briefly on filming for the epilogue for the film. As noted here several times before those scenes will feature the regular cast members who will be aged for those scenes. Dan Radcliff speaks again on this: "I am nervous about that," he told us, "because if it's good I'll be really, really pleased; if it's not good and that's what people are left with, that would be awful. If it's a choice between having me, Rupert and Emma looking a bit stupid and it being slightly comical or having other actors play us, I would go for other actors every time. So, we'll see."

This issue of Empire is due out on April 23. Related Note: TLC has received several credible reports that the split is possibly during the visit to Xeno Lovegood's home, when the Death Eaters arrive and beging their attack. While this would be almost the half-way point in the book as well (Chapter 20), please treat this very much as rumor for the time being.

Thanks to those who emailed!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

I think they’ll split it right after Harry visits his parent’s graves. For anyone who wants to discuss this with me, add me.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on April 21, 2009, 09:51 AM report to moderator
Dhcalendar_thumb

I actually love cliffhangers,cause they make me pissed at first then excited, so this is gunna be awe-some!

Posted by Brianna on April 21, 2009, 10:07 AM report to moderator
Dhcalendar_thumb

Posted by Brianna on April 21, 2009, 10:07 AM report to moderator
Mewebcam_thumb

AGGGGGGGGG T.T IM SO excited so rons departure or at the lovegoods? T.T or at the malfoys? >___< i dunno ahhhh im going crazy here lol ill be analizing the book as soon as i get home …

Posted by MarianaSP on April 21, 2009, 10:10 AM report to moderator
Photo-103336_thumb_thumb

i don’t mind that they’re ending it on a ‘cliffhanger’ i think we’ll all be that much more charged up to see the second part of the movie!

Maybe it’ll cut right before the the trio get attacked at xeno’s and have to flee?

Posted by Phlegm dela Coeur on April 21, 2009, 10:18 AM report to moderator
D474f2f9722352f367d45028747f7d7d_1562290_thumb

they aren’t going to look dumb for the epilogue…they aren’t THAT much younger than the epilogue ppl..it’ll be fine

Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

I’m for the Silver doe! MARK MY WORDS. I’m pretty sure its Silver doe. Harry drowning and – the end part 1.

Posted by Matea on April 21, 2009, 10:45 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

I hope the split is at the lovegood’s house! “Are you referring to the symbol of the deathly hallows?” --End part 1 ! :)

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on April 21, 2009, 10:47 AM report to moderator
Polar

So Dan is afraid he will look stupid trying to look 19 years older. Has he not noticed that we do not change that much as we age as long as we take care of our selves. Oh he is already 20 so 15 years big whoop. Harry Potter gets new glasses and some kids. You will be just fine Dan.

Posted by lupinblack2001 on April 21, 2009, 10:58 AM report to moderator
Araneus_diadematus_thumb

I think that’s a great place: we just learn the full story of what the Deathly Hallows are, which is the ‘punchline’ to the title of the movie, and there’s certainly all three of them are back together, and we’ve already had lots of excitement… and this just winds it up for the next installment: quite perfect, actually.

Posted by Caracticus on April 21, 2009, 11:16 AM report to moderator
Th_harry-and-ginny--x-x-x-_thumb

i’m so excited!! that’s a good thing that they split the book into 2 movies!!

Posted by DanielBonnie28 on April 21, 2009, 11:46 AM report to moderator

I never even thought about the scene at Xeno’s house. That would also be a good splitting point. Oh I cannot wait for this. It looks like they might actually be going to do this one right.

Posted by bookmonster79 on April 21, 2009, 11:54 AM report to moderator
Slytherin_cropped_thumb

I really wanna know where they are gonna cut the films. The suspension is killing me. I really do hope that it is after Ron leaves or right before Malfoy Manor when the snatchers get them.

Posted by Wendy McCoury on April 21, 2009, 11:59 AM report to moderator
Hp01_thumb

I’m so excited :)

Posted by Frances Anne on April 21, 2009, 12:01 PM report to moderator
Hp1_thumb

I think Xeno’s house is a good split but imagine having never read the books before! If you’re just one of the movie watchers who don’t want to read the books and it splits off there-it would be killer! It would be killer for me and I know what happens haha.

Posted by lumosnox on April 21, 2009, 12:19 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I don't believe it! I don't believe it! Oh, Ron, how wonderful! A prefect! That's everyone in the family!"[br]"What are Fred and I, next-door neighbors?" said George indignantly, as his mother pushed him aside and flung her arms around her youngest son.