Matt Lewis to Film Scenes for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in October

Lewis
April 27, 2009, 10:06 AM

Over the weekend, actor Matt Lewis took part in the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo in Canada.  TLC reader and PotterCast listener Kevin emailed to say that while there, Matt spoke about his role as Neville Longbottom in the Harry Potter films, noting that he will be enjoying the summer off, but will be back to film scenes again in October for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Matt also said he cant speak to where the films split, but has read the script for Deathly Hallows Part One and loved it and said something along the lines of "if there even is a part for Neville's Gran in the movies he would want Dame Judi Dench to play her - although his first choice, if she wasn't already in the movies, would be Maggie Smith."  He also spoke briefly about Neville's look in Deathly Hallows as being a "a leaner, meaner, rock and roll Neville," and is very much looking forward to shooting the dramatic Nagini and the sword scene. Finally Matt Lewis enjoyed the fact that Neville ended up as a Herbology Professor as he thiks Neville belongs in a school, and reflected that his "biggest wish about the last book was that Neville had killed Bellatrix but also admits that that's not really Neville's style."

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was also a topic, as Matt Lewis said the fans will love the movie. He also pointed out that "although Half Blood Prince has a horrible ending it is quite a funny movie, thanks mostly to Rupert Grint's Qudditch and love-struck scenes."

One fun note: Matt Lewis treated a lucky fan to a Waltz lesson aka just like he danced so nicely in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Editor's Note: A reminder that you can follow Matt Lewis and all his adventures here via his official Twitter.

Thanks so much Kevin!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lewis News

Img_44501_thumb

whoaaa first? haha well Matt makes an amazing Neville. gotta love both right? :] loved his comments about the films.

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on April 27, 2009, 10:26 AM report to moderator

Luckily, Maggie Smith and Judi Dench are good friends so maybe Maggie can arrange something. I also thought maybe Judi could be Aunt Muriel.

Posted by greatpetie83 on April 27, 2009, 10:27 AM report to moderator
Lianne_2_thumb

Ooooo Dame Judi Dench. I can picture that. But yeah, Dame Maggie Smith would have also been a good Mrs. Longbottom. :)

Posted by ane_drew on April 27, 2009, 10:28 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

I so agree with Matt! My Death Eater side wanted Neville to kill Bellatrix, but my better side knew that’s not what Neville would do. But HOORAY for Molly Weasley!

I’d love to see Judi Dench in any HP role. I think she’s the BEST ACTOR ON THE PLANET. And to have her play Neville’s Gran?? I’m not sure my heart could stand the excitement!!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on April 27, 2009, 10:37 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

Oooh, Judi Dench could do a wonderful job of Aunt Muriel, good thinking!

I’m looking forward to Matt in DH Part 2, it will be great to see him as resistance leader and Nagini-slayer.

Posted by Graymayne on April 27, 2009, 10:38 AM report to moderator
40320resize_thumb
I’m excited for him! Judi Dench would be amazing as Augusta Longbottom!
Posted by Athena ★ROAR!★ on April 27, 2009, 10:52 AM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

Good interview! I liked Molly Weasley showing that there was a lot more to her than anyone suspected. Nevlle slaying Nagini was the best show of his strength, especially after being confined and burned.

Posted by budgie on April 27, 2009, 11:01 AM report to moderator
Slytherin_cropped_thumb

I love Matt! I can’t wait to see he bad ass self in Deathly Hallows.

Posted by Wendy McCoury on April 27, 2009, 11:11 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

Neville is only in part 2, right? I mean he’s just in Hogwarts,and that means part 2..

Posted by Matea on April 27, 2009, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

Good interview . . . . . I love Neville. And Matt plays him brilliantly. :) :)

<3 NEVILLE! :D

Araneus_diadematus_thumb

I can’t imagine Dame Judy being available for the 15 seconds of screen time. It would be a nice day’s work, I guess, if there were enough perks etc. but I don’t think it’s worth her time: they should use an underemployed character actress of significant age to play Augusta. I think if Dame Judy played Alecto Carrow she could have “chewed the scenery” with that role, but Augusta is just too small a part.

Posted by Caracticus on April 27, 2009, 11:55 AM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I think Judi Dench would suit the role of his gran perfectly. I have always enjoyed her skill as an actress in whichever roles she plays!

Matt captures Neville’s character well. I cannot wait to see what he accomplishes in the DH.

Posted by Kirk on April 27, 2009, 12:12 PM report to moderator
Voila_thumb

Dude, Dame Judi Dench would be an AMAZING Augusta Longbottom!

Posted by maera-kyrie on April 27, 2009, 12:45 PM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

Yeah! I remember him twitting about fliming but when I asked him what it was, and if it was HP he said it was all hush, hush. Welll… Obviously it’s DH! LOL! I love Matt! Can’t wait for Neville’s transformation in DH! :D

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on April 27, 2009, 12:45 PM report to moderator
Ringtailedcat_thumb

Judi Dench would be awesome as Neville’s grandmother! Can’t wait to see Neville’s scenes. He does a wonderful job as Neville.

Posted by starkitty313 on April 27, 2009, 01:38 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Harry felt oddly separate from everyone around him, whether they were wishing him good luck or hissing [i]"We'll have a box of tissues ready, Potter"[/i] as he passed. It was a state of nervousness so advanced that he wondered whether he mightn't just los