Muggle Students Play Quidditch in Wales

Fans
Posted by: Edward
April 06, 2009, 04:08 PM

Students of the Ferndale Comprehensive School in Rhondda Cynon Taf, South Wales have the added benefit of a little magic to their physical education program with the inclusion of a muggle form of Quidditch into their sports activities.  The Guardian is reporting that a version of the game is being played at the school with the "absence of broomsticks and bewitched balls, [as well as a] 'seeker,'" and is more of a "cross between dodgeball and handball."  Seven year old Keiron Port says this of the sport now being played at his school:

"Quidditch is a good fun game, it is fast and has lots of exciting moments. My favourite position has got to be the chaser, I like it because you get to score most of your team's goals."
The paper goes on to report that addition of Quidditch at the school is part of a"5x60 programme" that insures secondary school students in Wales receive at least one hour of exercise five times a week.  James Vale, a PE teacher at the Ferndale Comprehensive School, notes that the wizarding game is beneficial to the students because "players are always on the go unlike in other sports where players are sometimes not really involved in the game" due to the constant threat of bludgers.  This Welsh assembly government initiative to get children active in new and different sports began in 2006, and has been implemented in "98% of secondary schools across Wales and is expected to encompass all schools in the country by the end of the financial year."

Thanks to Tom for mailing!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Fans News

Tumblr_ljx6bckvt81qayzvw_thumb
2043 Points

wow i wish i was still at school to play this i wonder what the muggie rules are ?

Posted by GinnyRose2004 on April 07, 2009, 05:09 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

That’s awesome

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on April 07, 2009, 05:22 AM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

Awesome! I wish we did the same at my school! :D

Posted by *Adeline* ~ ROAR! :D on April 07, 2009, 05:58 AM report to moderator
Hp_ravenclaw_thumb

This is so cool. I’d love to know more about how this works.

Posted by Verity Weasley on April 07, 2009, 06:02 AM report to moderator
I-quote_hogwarts0144_thumb

hahahahaha AWESOME! I wanna play!

Posted by BewareoftheNargles {WBM} on April 07, 2009, 06:41 AM report to moderator

Gosh, what a wonderful idea!!!! I wish my school did this.

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on April 07, 2009, 07:07 AM report to moderator
Small_wizard_rock_page_logo_thumb

Excellent!! It sounds like so much fun! Just a shame there’s no seeker!

Posted by Neil in Scotland * ROAR! * on April 07, 2009, 08:00 AM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

I wonder what the Seeker will seek? :D

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on April 07, 2009, 08:18 AM report to moderator
Siriusblack_thumb

wow cool! anyway, are there any video clips on this?

Posted by Shalanarah on April 07, 2009, 08:43 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

That’s very cool, i wish i could play quidditch.

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on April 07, 2009, 09:22 AM report to moderator
Hp01_thumb

Wow Lucky i wish my school did that :)

Posted by Frances Anne on April 07, 2009, 09:39 AM report to moderator
Iconavmeg_thumb

that’s so cool! I wish we could play quidditch at our school.

Posted by Cheimonas on April 07, 2009, 09:53 AM report to moderator

I still can not picture how they do it, but sounds fun!

Posted by ethanHP on April 07, 2009, 09:53 AM report to moderator
Photo_41_thumb

sounds like fun!

Posted by rebel on April 07, 2009, 12:05 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

I remember that a few years ago already, there was a news tidbit here in Finland about some HP fans playing a Muggle version of Quidditch.. But I don’t think there are any schools here that would have taken it as a proper sport, something that could be played instead of footie or pesäpallo (our version of baseball). Damn shame, if you ask me.

Posted by MischiefManaged on April 07, 2009, 12:58 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

Mrs. Dursley was thin and blonde and had nearly twice the usual amount of neck, which came in very useful as she spent so much of her time craning over garden fences, spying on the neighbors.