JK Rowling Writes Piece on U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown for Time Magazine

J.K. Rowling
May 01, 2009, 04:14 PM

Time Magazine has released their annual list of the 100 Most Influential people in the world. Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling has written a piece about the number two man on the list, U.K. Prime Minister Gordon Brown. A long time friend of the Prime Minister, readers will recall J.K. Rowling was a recent guest at 10 Downing Street for a dinner held by Gordon and Sarah Brown for the spouses of the members of the G20 world economic summit that included Michelle Obama, wife of US President Barack Obama. JKR  writes of the current Prime Minister:

Back in the mid-1990s, when he was new labour's brooding, intellectual heavyweight, I was a lone parent struggling to get by. He said he was not interested in stigmatizing the poor but in finding solutions for their predicament. I was tired of hearing government ministers lambaste the likes of me as irresponsible scroungers. I wanted Gordon Brown in charge.

He went on to become one of the longest-serving Chancellors of the Exchequer that Britain has ever seen. While our economy grew strongly, he could have stood back and done nothing; on the contrary, he brought in and continually drove up the minimum wage, and 600,000 children and a million pensioners were raised out of poverty. Brown believed the wealthy would always be able to look after themselves; it was people at the other end of the economic scale that government ought to be helping.

When capitalism shuddered on its foundations last year, Brownite words like responsibility and morality started issuing from the unlikeliest politicians. Global financial regulation, something Brown had advocated long before last September, shot to the top of the political agenda. Now Prime Minister, Brown took a lead among European leaders in setting a course for economic recovery. He hosted the most important meeting of the world's major economies in years. In doing so, the British press said, he had become "Chancellor to the world."

The son of a Presbyterian minister, with a formidable intellect and a work ethic to shame a nest of ants, the 58-year-old Brown is frequently dubbed "dour." I know him as affable, funny and gregarious, a great listener, a kind and loyal friend. These are strange and turbulent times, but issues of fairness, equality and protection of the poor have never been more important. I still want Gordon Brown in charge.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Cover_avatar_thumb

Interesting. I guess it shouldn’t come as a surprise, seeing as she gave a whole lot of money to the Labour party a while ago, but I never expected her to take the time to do something like this.

Posted by Attolia [squee!!!] on May 01, 2009, 04:37 PM report to moderator

‘chancellor to the world’! dear god, no wonder we’re in a mess!

Posted by jain on May 01, 2009, 04:37 PM report to moderator

Good for Jo to voice her opinions.

Posted by Bradyboy on May 01, 2009, 04:42 PM report to moderator
Dscn0194_thumb
1921 Points

Even in writing something as simple as this, Jo shows off her talent for empathy and description. Glad they asked her to do it.

Posted by izziewitch on May 01, 2009, 04:49 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

She has such a way with words. I was just listening to her Harvard Commencement Speech and…WOW! I can’t wait to read whatever she writes in the future!!

Posted by cghambright on May 01, 2009, 04:55 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

I am once again moved by her capacity to express herself so eloquently with words; never do I cease to be impressed by the manner in which her words flow with such ease and grace. Regardless of one’s political views, one must agree with her that Gordon Brown has faced challenges that few people ever do and we must applaud him for his efforts to remedy the problems to the best of his abilities.

Posted by Kirk on May 01, 2009, 05:18 PM report to moderator
Rowena_thumb

Jo is just so brilliant. I’m glad she’s being asked to use her writing for intellectual and influencial readers. She’s so good at expressing her beliefs and her words just make sense. I feel like we need more writers like her in the world, who are able to describe the actual problems in the world, instead of just being super political all the time.

Posted by lumosshimmy {WBM!} on May 01, 2009, 05:35 PM report to moderator
Burtondeppavvie_thumb

Interesting to hear Jo’s thughts on this, a lot of the politically minded people that I know are conservatives, so it’s refreshing to read something positive about our current leader!

I don’t know about politics, but I think Brown’s doing well for the situation he’s in.

Also, I love Helena Bonham Carter’s hair in the new photo gallery about the Museum of British Folklore Fete. Think her dress would be nicer in different colours though..

Posted by Linnyish on May 01, 2009, 05:59 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

I’m just so darned cynical about politicians. I can’t get excited about any of them.

Posted by Garden State Geek on May 01, 2009, 06:05 PM report to moderator

yay Jo!

Posted by on May 01, 2009, 06:19 PM report to moderator
Hp_wallpaper_thumb

I love her expressions such as “a work ethic to shame a nest of ants”. Typically Rowling, brilliant!

Posted by sue1308 on May 01, 2009, 06:34 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

wow! well all i really have to say on the subject is….its nice to see you writting again Jo!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on May 01, 2009, 06:36 PM report to moderator

J.K. Rowling is a woman of many aspects. She seems to have her foot in every door available. LoL.

I can’t wait for a new book. I’d love to be able to set down with a big thick novel that J.K. has written and get lost in it, much like I did with Harry Potter. I doubt ANYTHING will be as good as Harry Potter, but if there ever is, I’m sure it will come from J.K.. I’ve read many books by many authors, and so far, Dan Brown and Stephen King are the only two that, I believe, have talent that “Almost” matches hers. Almost! LOL.

Posted by on May 01, 2009, 07:35 PM report to moderator

I admire Jo enormously but Brown is way past his sell by date and the sooner we get rid of him the better !

Posted by Beazle on May 01, 2009, 07:56 PM report to moderator

I read that Jo was a “self described leftist” but are you kidding me… Britain has become a total mess under Labour. I have friends that have left Britain to get away from the insanity. I guess one can be a brilliant author and politically clueless at the same time.

Posted by CajonLady on May 01, 2009, 09:15 PM report to moderator

"I suppose you wanted to make an entrance, did you?" Snape continued. "And with no flying car available you decided that bursting into the Great Hall halfway through the feast ought to create a dramatic effect."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014