Chamber of Secrets to be Published in Cambodia

Books
May 06, 2009, 11:21 AM

While the final installment in the Harry Potter series has been formally released in 2007, many countries continue to receive new translations of the wildly popular series. The New York Times is reporting today "J.K. Rowling has agreed to donate the rights to the second book in the series, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, so that it can be published in Khmer," the Cambodian language. The paper also noted that in effort to help promote literacy and encourage young people to read, Bernie Krisher (publisher of the Cambodia Daily) "convinced J.K. Rowling to donate the rights to the first book so that a low-priced Khmer version could be published, so as to hook young people into reading."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

15ppnr5_thumb

I think that is a really nice thing to do for the people of Cambodia. The whole world needs to be able to read HP! I wonder if there will be different cover art for it? That would be RAD!

Posted by KimmyZ on May 06, 2009, 11:34 AM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

Wow! That is awesome! Maybe once day it will be translated in all languages! :D

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on May 06, 2009, 11:34 AM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

I mean *one of course. Pfft! XD And yeah! I would love to see the cover art!

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on May 06, 2009, 11:35 AM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

The story is great, and it’s good to see more people able to enjoy it.

Posted by budgie on May 06, 2009, 11:51 AM report to moderator
216cougar2_thumb

I am glad to see that more people can enjoy it.

Posted by Arthur22 on May 06, 2009, 11:54 AM report to moderator
N1261522601_30070166_2471_thumb

When I started secondry school I had a reading age of a 6 year old. The idea of reading an entire book sceared me to death. In the end after all the hipe i decided to buy Harry Potter and the Philosiphers Stone. It took weeks and weeks to get through even though I couldnt put it down, but finaly I got through it. J.K.Rowling has helped me in such a way I would have no idea how to thank her if I was ever given the chance. The idea of giving this amazing gift to children around the world, no matter what country or language would be simply amazing. Being dyslexic is a horrible situation when there is no help out there and no one to tell you your not thick or stupid, its somthing that your born with and its with you for the rest of your life. I think this is an amzing acheavement for the children and adults of Cambodia…….

Posted by victoria_price on May 06, 2009, 11:57 AM report to moderator
12440441_thumb
19573 Points

That’s so cool… How many languages is it in now do you think?

Posted by R-for-H {ROAR} :D on May 06, 2009, 12:23 PM report to moderator
Myleaky_thumb

Agree with victoria_price, if this promotes more people to start reading, then it’s a wonderful thing that this series can promote, no matter what country you live in.

Posted by PewterWolf on May 06, 2009, 12:31 PM report to moderator
Llamaflyiong_thumb

This sounds pretty decent of her to give them the rights like that. I just hope that there will be a good availability of the book.

Posted by lurking_llama on May 06, 2009, 01:04 PM report to moderator
Green_thumb

that’s really wonderful of her to do :)

Posted by simplycyn [FTC!] on May 06, 2009, 01:09 PM report to moderator
L_32b0eddba4eb43718eb38ffa016162b2_thumb

Closer and closer to world domination! LOL!

Posted by phantomdave79 on May 06, 2009, 01:13 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Coooolio!! :)

Posted by loony_slytherin on May 06, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator

Cool :)
Hahah KimmyZ, you’r pic is so damn funny!

Posted by neopolitandreams17 on May 06, 2009, 01:15 PM report to moderator

awesome!

Posted by kenmarekestrels93 {{ROAR}} on May 06, 2009, 01:23 PM report to moderator
108_thumb

This is the best story I have heard in awhile. Reading is so important.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on May 06, 2009, 01:51 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Ron was in a very bad mood by the end of the class. "It's no wonder no one can stand her," he said to Harry as they pushed their way into the crowded corridor, "she's a nightmare, honestly."