Chamber of Secrets to be Published in Cambodia

Books
May 06, 2009, 11:21 AM

While the final installment in the Harry Potter series has been formally released in 2007, many countries continue to receive new translations of the wildly popular series. The New York Times is reporting today "J.K. Rowling has agreed to donate the rights to the second book in the series, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, so that it can be published in Khmer," the Cambodian language. The paper also noted that in effort to help promote literacy and encourage young people to read, Bernie Krisher (publisher of the Cambodia Daily) "convinced J.K. Rowling to donate the rights to the first book so that a low-priced Khmer version could be published, so as to hook young people into reading."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

108_thumb

This is the best story I have heard in awhile. Reading is so important.

Posted by Melinae ♥Squee♥/Professor Truffle on May 06, 2009, 01:51 PM report to moderator
Postejeunes4_thumb

So cool! Cambodian kids are gonna have something awesome to read now.

Posted by Boy With A Lightning Scar on May 06, 2009, 01:58 PM report to moderator
5908_12290828084_thumb

wonderful

Posted by hbp will be betterthan tdk on May 06, 2009, 02:07 PM report to moderator
Harry_thumb

Cool :)
Let them enjoy

Posted by blackhair on May 06, 2009, 02:07 PM report to moderator
Lily_evans_thumb

Reading is so important and I’m glad that they are bringing Harry Potter to
Cambodia.

Posted by Athenamalfoy on May 06, 2009, 02:43 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

I discovered reading books again because of Harry Potter.

For over 15 years I didn’t read a single novel voluntarily — not counting the stuff I had to read at the uni, and I absolutely hated book exams there. Until, some two months ago, on a train to see my folks, I finally grabbed Philosopher’s Stone and started reading. I had carried the book with me on and off for like two or three years but had not read it…until during that train ride. Needless to say, I was hooked from the first few pages on. I’m currently reading OOTP and will do my utmost to read the entire series before HBP hits the cinemas. I would love to just curl up on my sofa and read, read, read… But unfortunately, being an adult (yuck) means that you have all these obligations like work and whatnot that seriously interfere with your reading time. Still, I’m hopeful that I have to time get through the last three books before HBP is out.

Sorry for the long story, I just wanted to say that I’m very very glad about this Cambodian release of COS, because I know from first-hand experience what a delight it is to discover reading and to discover it with Harry Potter. Rock on, Jo!

Posted by MischiefManaged on May 06, 2009, 03:43 PM report to moderator
394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb
  • typo correction, “…I’m hopeful that I have time to get through the last three books before HBP is out.”

Oh, and forgot to say that I know I’m very fortunate to be able to read the books in English, which is not my first language. As someone with a Master’s Degree in English Translating, I know the importance of translations, even though I myself try to read these books (and other English language books) in the language they were written.

Posted by MischiefManaged on May 06, 2009, 03:50 PM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

It’s nice that Cambodians will get to see some of the VERY BEST of western culture!!!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on May 06, 2009, 04:30 PM report to moderator
Mefleming_thumb

I wonder if it will ever be published in Klingon . .

Posted by NDduLac [Dodo] on May 06, 2009, 04:35 PM report to moderator
Emma_thumb

I wish I could read all the languages just so I had a reason to collect all the books! lol

Posted by EmmaLouise on May 06, 2009, 04:48 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Awesome ! :)

Posted by Christine on May 06, 2009, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Rh7_thumb

That is so awesome. Jo never ceases to amaze me with her generosity.

Posted by bec majec *roar* on May 06, 2009, 05:14 PM report to moderator
41105_10150254604520192_615620191_14488176_2111077_n_thumb

COS is the best

Posted by placebowiz on May 06, 2009, 05:17 PM report to moderator

It would be so cool if there was different cover art!

Posted by Heavenly_Horcrux on May 06, 2009, 06:00 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

she DONATED the rights???
wow thats gotta take heart..
so sad that the ppl in Cambodia haven’t enjoyed harry potter yet.. :/

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on May 06, 2009, 06:14 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Hagrid had Norbert packed and ready in a large crate.[br] "He's got lots o' rats an' some brandy fer the journey," said Hagrid in a muffled voice. "An' I've packed his teddy bear in case he gets lonely."