Harry Potter Film Producer David Heyman Talks Splitting on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Heyman
June 18, 2009, 11:48 AM

Film Journal has released a new profile of Harry Potter film producer David Heyman. In the article, David Heyman speaks about the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, noting that since production is well underway on the final two Harry Potter films, its difficult to go back and focus on movie six which will be released in a few weeks. Speaking from the set of a recent location shoot for Deathly Hallows involving camping for Harry and Hermione, Mr. Heyman says:
“It’s really funny talking about Six because we’ve moved on—we’re deep into Seven now.”Right now, at this point in time—shooting a scene between Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) on a sunny location in Burnham Beeches where the two have temporarily pitched their tent in their road travels—the 48-year-old producer is steady and holding at seven-point-five. He continues:“My head is so much into Seven, and then, all of a sudden, you have to come back to Six,” he vamps by way of an explanation. “What I love about the Potter films is that each is different from the one that precedes it. In fact, I think they’re all quite different. They focus on different stories, and you have new characters who come in and bring them to life.”

David Heyman says of HBP: "This one is much looser. We take the time to explore the characters. Of course, there are big action scenes, big set-pieces, but what I think people really love in Harry Potter films are the characters—Ron, Harry, Hermione—spending time with them. That’s where the real pleasure is, I think."

He also goes on to discuss the decision to split Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, again refusing to say where the splitting of the two films will take place. Quotage: It helps, of course, that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is coming at him now as two films, doubling his pleasure all over the place, but finding the precise line of demarcation “was something we wrestled with. I’m not going to reveal where it is just yet, but there are a couple of places. I initially was not in favor of doing two films.

“In the seventh book, Harry is at the center of so much of it that, when we looked at what we would cut, it was impossible. There was almost nothing that we could comfortably cut, so it became a very clear decision that we had to make two films. “Once we made that decision, the challenge is to find out where you cut it. I think we’ve made a really interesting choice. It’s acknowledging that actually this is one book, and there are two parts to the story, and I think it will be really exciting. “Actually, there’s almost enough material in here to make three films, but I think that would have probably tipped it over the edge. The book is a very rich canvas.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Heyman News

Imagen009_thumb

Hey I’m up for the three films idea jajajaja
Right now I just want to see HBP

Posted by selene21 (ROAR) on June 18, 2009, 12:05 PM report to moderator
21_thumb

Still not telling us anything about the split. Better keep it that way

First to post!!

Posted by Dave-94 on June 18, 2009, 12:06 PM report to moderator
Imagen009_thumb

first?? can’t believe it

Posted by selene21 (ROAR) on June 18, 2009, 12:06 PM report to moderator
21_thumb

hmm second then..

Posted by Dave-94 on June 18, 2009, 12:06 PM report to moderator
Dragon-small_thumb

Three films would definitely be fun! His comment makes me think the split is somewhere around shell cottage or the Gringotts break-in. I like the idea of cutting it at Dobby’s death, but now I’m thinking a bit later than that.

Posted by Wolfheart (WBM!) on June 18, 2009, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Yeah, three movies would have been great for me! The more the better! I just want Harry’s end on screen to be like the book.

Posted by Christine on June 18, 2009, 12:20 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

arghhhhhhhhh…I want to know where’s the split!!! I’m still beting on Silver doe!

Posted by Matea on June 18, 2009, 12:27 PM report to moderator
Order_of_the_phoenix__3__thumb

i can’t really even think of DH right now… i’m locked on HBP, i can’t wait to finally see it – already have my midnight showing tickets!

Posted by kingdom on June 18, 2009, 12:37 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

yeah i don’t wanna know when they split it. i wouldn’t mind the three films hahaha

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on June 18, 2009, 12:44 PM report to moderator

I think they’re gonna hold on to the mystery of where they’re splitting the films because it keeps people interested. Well, it keeps me interested…

Posted by Loony1393 {ROAR!} on June 18, 2009, 12:55 PM report to moderator
Dscf3969_background_thumb

3 films ftw!

Posted by AishMeist on June 18, 2009, 12:59 PM report to moderator
Masterhand_thumb

I’m still not happy about the split… I mean I don’t think “Deathly Hallows PART 1” and “Deathly Hallows PART 2” are good names. However, they’re still is alot that needs to be covered in the movies, so I guess it’s worth it.

As for HPB, I just hope that it’s not too much like the Order of the Phoenix (after 3 times of seeing it, I finally stopped clompaining and started to enjoy it!).

Posted by ?????? on June 18, 2009, 12:59 PM report to moderator
Kreacher_thumb

I just hope that Half blood Prince is a lot better than OOTP which I thought was terrible.

Posted by OldZeke on June 18, 2009, 01:11 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

Oh, I hate the word “ending” when we’re talking about our beloved Potter series. I hate that the books are over and I hate even more that they’re filming the last two movies. Does anyone think JKR will suprise us with a “branch off” story of HP? Let me add that to my prayers tonight… :)

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on June 18, 2009, 01:13 PM report to moderator

It’s almost over… oh no! I wouldn’t mind three films to make it last longer!

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on June 18, 2009, 01:20 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Well, look who it is," said Malfoy in his usual lazy drawl, pulling open the compartment door. "Potty and the Weasel... I heard your father finally got his hands on some gold this summer, Weasley," said Malfoy. "Did your mother die of shock?"