David Yates: Snatcher Scene Just Filmed For "Deathly Hallows, Talks Split of Films

DH Film
June 19, 2009, 10:40 PM

The LA Times Hero Complex blog has been updated with a new interview of director David Yates who gives an update on the filming for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Noting the interview took place in the wee hours of yesterday, David Yates tells the LA Times:

"We're here in the forest, we've just finished the scene where Harry, Hermione and Ron are captured by the Snatchers after being chased through the woods. The Snatchers are brutal and scary but they aren't the most intelligent of creatures.They're trying to figure out exactly who it is they've caught."

In more exciting news, David Yates also speaks to the splitting point of the two films. Quotage:

"I asked Yates if he had decided on the splitting point -- the juncture at which the seventh film will stop. "Yes, I think we have," he said. "Things can change when you edit, of course, but the idea now is that it will be not long after the sequence that we are filming here today. That's what we're experimenting with. We've had three or four different ideas about where to cut off the seventh film. Traditionally, the movies have ended with a death or a bereavement, some sort of passage or arrival. This time we think we will end with more a cliffhanger. Again, though, that's the thought as of this moment."

There is talk as well regarding the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. David Yates is asked about the casting of the Trio, and his answer is quite enthusiastic.

I told Yates about my new theory: That the single best decision made in show business over the last decade was the casting of Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint in the lead roles of Harry, Hermione and Ron. I could almost hear him smile on the other side of the Atlantic.

"Absolutely, I think you're correct. It was an extraordinary bit of judgment, bringing those three in. They have been so stable and level-headed and in working with them I continue to be impressed by how keen they are to challenge themselves and to try new things to bring out the characters that they portray. They have become these engaging ambassadors for the films and the story. They have been endlessly enthusiastic. They want to see how good they can be in these roles. They haven't had their heads turned, either, by the fame and attention or any of it, which is wonderful for everyone to see."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

If the movie is gonna be split around malfoy manor, then that will leave plenty of time for the battle of hogwarts. But we may not know for sure for a while because of editing

Posted by mariathegreek {WBM} on June 19, 2009, 10:49 PM report to moderator
Hbp_poster_two_thumb

He gave some intriguing comments. He definitely seems to have implied that the movies might split between Dobby’s death, as some fans have speculated.

Posted by Kirk on June 19, 2009, 10:58 PM report to moderator
Squee_thumb

Malfoy Manor, huh? Hmm. The Battle of Hogwarts is going to be half the movie! 25 days, 2 hours, 2 minutes, to HBP! w00t!

Posted by Kismatt on June 19, 2009, 10:59 PM report to moderator
Radcliffe_articles_2011gq_0005_thumb

awesome. :)

Posted by fan.numero1 [SFTC!] on June 19, 2009, 11:04 PM report to moderator
Before_qudditch_thumb

i couldn’t wait for it .

Posted by TasyaWeasley on June 19, 2009, 11:16 PM report to moderator
Gvc_thumb

I have thought the best place for the split would be the death of Dobby (which has already been filmed). But that isn’t a cliff hanger. Sounds like it is going to be close to that from this article.

Posted by garyvc on June 19, 2009, 11:40 PM report to moderator
Hpg05_thumb

great interview… xD

Posted by potterrock on June 20, 2009, 12:06 AM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Oh gosh, I bet the cliffhanger will KILL me. Two and a half hours isn’t long enough for me! I want like a six hour film (each). I’m thinking that the split will be somewhere near Malfoy Manor or after…. oh gosh, I’m SO excited! :)

Posted by Christine on June 20, 2009, 12:21 AM report to moderator
Littleburrow_thumb

They are going to end this film with Harry and Ron in the basement of the Malfoy’s with Hermione screaming through the floor. I am not amused.

Posted by decarus on June 20, 2009, 12:30 AM report to moderator
African_servil_thumb

Maybe it’ll be when the boys get locked in the basement room. Hearing Hermione screaming… Ron running around panicked… everyone feeling hopeless…and then seeing a mysterious blue eye in the mirror… that would definitely be a cliff hanger.

Posted by Mrs. Longbottom on June 20, 2009, 12:41 AM report to moderator
200px-hermione_s_patronus_thumb

I just can’t wait to see it.

Posted by mobellatrixROAR on June 20, 2009, 02:48 AM report to moderator
Img_7118_thumb

yay! Information about the split. I’m surprised they let it out so far in advance. Normally they try to keep things hidden as long as possible. I wonder if he got in trouble for saying that.

Posted by gooseywizard on June 20, 2009, 03:45 AM report to moderator
Img_0020_thumb

I had forgotten about the whole finding a spot to split the movies … lol. On the one hand a cliff hanger would be a good idea, but then I think ahead to the agony of when the 7th finishes and the long wait to the 8th and gosh… I will probably be very upset lol.

Posted by ladydars on June 20, 2009, 05:02 AM report to moderator
Sirius---poa_thumb

If they are going for a nice cliff hanger maybe it will be during the wrestle between Harry and Draco over the Elder wand, cutting between the struggle and Voldemort’s flight back to Malfoy Mansion, ending as Dobby grabs the trio and Voldemort appears!

Posted by Tuesday on June 20, 2009, 05:27 AM report to moderator
Dobbyafreeelf_thumb

I want them to split it at Dobby’s death… but this doesn’t make it sound like it’s going that way :(
Maybe just before that, while they are apparating… Dobby dying would be such a sad opening though..

Posted by Promote Elfish Welfare [*SQUEE*] on June 20, 2009, 06:03 AM report to moderator

"Crystal gazing is a particularly refined art... I do not expect any of you to See when first you peer into the Orb's infinite depths. We shall start by practicing relaxing the conscious mind an external eyes so as to clear the Inner Eye and the supercons

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014