MSN Asks "Has Harry Potter Lost the Magic?"

Movies
June 23, 2009, 09:24 AM

The MSN Mom & Pop Culture Blog for Family Entertainment has an opinion piece today based on the question " 'Has Harry Potter Lost His Magic?.' " The article starts by mentioning the huge interest and media attention paid to the Twilight series, then discusses the delay of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, wondering if this would cause waning in the love of the series and films. The author notes that while some had been planning a boycott when the movie opens next month, the magic remains strong and firm for many of us, and mentions our own recent LeakyCon convention held last month in Boston. Quotage:

But on the other hand, there is reality. Harry Potter still has passionate fans. The Web site, TheLeakyCauldron.org reports more than 75,000 members in its online discussion community. These fans not only have no plans to boycott Warner Bros. for delaying the movie, some of them also traveled to Boston a couple of months ago for "LeakyCon," a convention that raised money for charities and featured the musical stylings of an astonishing number of Harry Potter tribute bands.
...
The event, put on by TheLeakyCauldron.org, wasn't just about bands, though. Two major names in young adult literature, Cheryl Klein and John Green, gave a keynote speech on the writing process. Klein was on the U.S. editing team for Harry Potter, and Green is author of "Looking for Alaska" and "An Abundance of Katherines" and "Paper Towns."

The author then goes on to note a feeling that is shared by so many of us:

As impressive as this is, conventions aren't proof that the boy wizard retains his magic. That lies in the stories themselves, where the magic remains in abundance...I picked up "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" again to get myself ready for the movie, and loved it more this time than I did the first. Once you know how the series ends, you can see the incredibly way Rowling structured the story, weaving little bits into the tapestry that would have great meaning later. All the while, she stayed true to her central theme: that a mother's love is the most powerful magic of all. And she keeps things refreshingly complex. Many secondary characters are a mix of good and evil -- sort of like how people are in the real world.

These books are good enough that they should be considered classics. The movies, for the most part, have been good, too. This is why I'll be at the theater the day "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" opens. For me, at least, the magic is as strong as ever.

Hear Hear! Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince opens July 15th.
Thanks Jenny and Samantha!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Movies News

Rupert_icon_thumb

whooo! the magic will always be strong!!! Go harry potter!

Posted by megan_702*ROAR* on June 23, 2009, 09:56 PM report to moderator
Harry_animation_65x65_thumb

I just finished reading Harry Potter for the First time. I can’t imagine people saying its “lost its magic”!

Posted by dec_1892 on June 23, 2009, 09:59 PM report to moderator

Twilight will never replace Potter, neither the movie nor the books are good, they’re just over rated and full hype. Twilight has a simple, typical, cliche story full of Mary-sues, and what people call a “handsome” guy. Potter is the exact opposite. Once the hype for Twilight dies it’ll disappear just like the Jonas brothers and the Hanson brothers

Posted by Rod on June 23, 2009, 09:59 PM report to moderator
Img_4556_thumb

Of course it is.

Posted by Dolemite [FTC!] on June 23, 2009, 10:00 PM report to moderator
Star_wars___darth_vader_thumb

LIke she said, the “magic” of reading Harry Potter is seeing so many different things every time you read a book again, and seeing a world parallel to our own in one filled iwth magic.

Posted by RJLupin375 on June 23, 2009, 10:05 PM report to moderator
Downsized_0124001234a_thumb

Twilight will eventually die out. It might take a while, but I just can’t see it lasting as long as Harry Potter has. There just isn’t that much to do with it.

Posted by Olivia Elaine a.k.a Agent Pomplamoose on June 23, 2009, 10:13 PM report to moderator
Dailyprophet_thumb

I think nothing and nobody can destroy that magic :)

Posted by Ravonja [WBM♥] on June 23, 2009, 10:15 PM report to moderator
Omt1_thumb

I’d like to think that the Harry Potter series has a broader appeal than Twilight. The idea that HP should be considered a ‘classic’ is not far from the mark. I expect that in time it will achieve that place.

Time will tell. For now HP is still magic…

OMT

Posted by OldMrToad on June 23, 2009, 10:17 PM report to moderator
Imagen009_thumb

I think that last year we were ready to see the movie, but now I don’t even feel excited to see it, at least not yet.
I

Posted by selene21 (ROAR) on June 23, 2009, 10:19 PM report to moderator

Harry Potter will never lose it’s magic. No matter how many sparkly undead guys and ditsy girls run in trying to steal the spotlight.

Posted by Sarah on June 23, 2009, 10:24 PM report to moderator
Black_and_white_myspace_pics_248_thumb

the magic will NEVER EVER leave any true Harry Potter fans. the magic will always be here! no matter how many SUCKY twilight books come out mo matter how many movies i will NEVER be the same not even SLIGHTLY the same as what comes of the Harry Potter movies and books!!!!! I have and am still reading the Harry Potter books! (over 100 times EACH!) and i will never EVER even look at one of the “super cool twilight” books! NEVER! i will fight for Harry Potter!!!!!!!!!! i am now starting to read the books to my little sister (she can not read yet) AND SHE LOVES THEM!!!! and if every Harry Potter fan would do that with there little sisters and brothers there would be even MORE magic! the magic is not about who is the #1 movie at the box (even if Harry Potter will be and twilight will NOT be) it is in YOU and ME and now my little sister! as long as YOU love Harry Potter there is still magic!!!!!!! long live the magic!!!! HARRY POTTER 4 EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by HP from 1995 and on on June 23, 2009, 10:27 PM report to moderator

I think that magic in Harry Potter will stay as strong as it was at the beginning of the saga. Harry Potter will become a reference later for our children. From France!

Posted by Trashr on June 23, 2009, 10:34 PM report to moderator
36090_413317180969_787035969_4440390_4514136_n_thumb

The size of the “fan base” is not a factor…..in any way shape or form! I agree with the writer, of this piece, that the ‘Harry Potter Series’ will “live” on and will be a classic! There are many “fantasy classics” that could be named, here, but I would not diminish the power of JKRowling’s work by comparing it to ANY other…..‘Harry Potter’ stands on it’s own merits. And the fantastic writing of one amazing author!

Posted by Confederate Lady [CL, Rawwrrrr] on June 23, 2009, 10:50 PM report to moderator
Pheonix2_thumb

I would imagine the delay has killed a little bit of the hype for this movie, but honestly, I’m sort of glad it was delayed now. I’ve realized the best part of these movies coming out, is the anticipation of them coming out, because once their out, you see them a few times and then that excitement is gone for a while. Until the dvd comes out and you watch it at the house for a couple weeks.

I think more than our love for the movies/books is that we all love the idea, that we get to go to the midnight show and be with tons of other people that have been thinking the same thing for the last year and a half, “I cannot wait until this movie comes out.”

Posted by Liderc on June 23, 2009, 10:55 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb
The movie “Twilight” was very good, but it does not compare to the Harry Potter books in any way. I feel, though, that the Harry Potter movies are taking on too much of a physically dark (depressing) hue to it and would prefer they remained more like the book and take on a more brightness (physically) more like a “James Bond” movie where he fights against evil. I think I’m the only one who feels this way because I haven’t heard anyone else say anything about the movie’s dull color.
Posted by molly43 on June 23, 2009, 10:59 PM report to moderator

"Black and Potter. Ringleaders of their little gang. Both very bright, of course -- exceptionally bright, in fact -- but I don't think we've ever had such a pair of troublemakers --"[br]"I dunno," chuckled Hagrid. "Fred and George Weasley could give 'em a