Bill Nighy as Rufus Scrimgeour for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

DH Film
June 30, 2009, 11:18 PM

Several weeks ago, as first heard exclusively on PotterCast, this editor brought the news that actor Bill Nighy had been cast in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. We are delighted to say that Bill Nighy, who will be taking on the part of Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour for the film, has made new comments about his upcoming appearance in the final installment in the Harry Potter series. Mr. Nighy said: "I don't think I'm allowed to say it but I'm going to be in the next Harry Potter film," he tells us. "I won't say which character, but he's a goodie. I just got the gig." If you don't mind us saying, it's about time, Bill. The rangy actor has been dropping hints for aeons, once complaining that he was "the only British actor who hasn't been in Harry Potter". But has he read the books? "Not yet, but I will!" he says. "It's rather like being in a Shakespeare that way, you know?" Mm.

Bill Nighy is a well regarded actor from the UK, known for his appearances in the Pirates of the Caribbean series, State of Play directed by David Yates, The Constant Gardener, the upcoming Wild Target with Rupert Grint, and a beloved comedic turn in Love, Actually.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

They forgot “Underworld”. That was the first time I saw him. He’s very impressive and very versatile,

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on July 01, 2009, 03:32 AM report to moderator

Wasn’t he Davey Jones from POC?

Posted by Muggle Mommy on July 01, 2009, 03:50 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

This is brilliant! I was so hoping they would cast him as Scrimgeuor. He will be fabulous. I just saw an ad on TV. I am getting so excited. SQUEEEE!

Posted by Rhiannon on July 01, 2009, 04:47 AM report to moderator
Amyadams1_thumb

Yes he was Davy Jones!
OMG, this is super awesome :D
Except that I agree with you, Jaymie Brooks, the movie’s the final installment(s) They’ve got to make them epic , like, I dunno, The Lord of the Rings?

Posted by Swansurf2099 on July 01, 2009, 05:21 AM report to moderator
Icon_thumb

omg YES (why weren’t you in the HBP?) YAY!

Posted by Juine on July 01, 2009, 05:56 AM report to moderator
Voorpotter_thumb

or Liam Neeson

Posted by Joost on July 01, 2009, 08:37 AM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

I like him as scrimgeour – now if they could only squeeze in Clive Owen and Simon Pegg.

Posted by abandonedboyjon on July 01, 2009, 11:04 AM report to moderator
Thecave_thumb

Joost, I was thinking the same thing. As cool as it is that they’re trying to fit in everyone and everything from the book, they did just spend the last 10 years leading up to this moment. We will be happy to see all of these characters return, but will it make sense for the non-book fans? We’ll see.

Regardless, I’m glad Nighy’s joined the cast. Nice call Sue.

Posted by mollywobble on July 01, 2009, 12:03 PM report to moderator
Ron1_thumb

Oh my gosh, YAY!

Posted by Christine on July 01, 2009, 12:52 PM report to moderator
My_avatar_thumb

perfect casting!

Posted by SnapesSilverDoe on July 01, 2009, 01:08 PM report to moderator
Family_thumb

I’m so excited about this!

Posted by Sallene on July 01, 2009, 01:11 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

Posted by abandonedboyjon on July 01, 2009, 01:27 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

Yes he’s PERFECT!! I love him! He’s brilliant in pretty much everything he does and I can’t wait to see him in the Will of Albus Dumbledore scene with the trio!!! :D

Posted by cghambright on July 01, 2009, 01:27 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

Posted by abandonedboyjon on July 01, 2009, 01:30 PM report to moderator
Picture_057_thumb

Posted by abandonedboyjon on July 01, 2009, 01:31 PM report to moderator

[Malfoy] muttered something in which the words "my father" were distinguishable.[br]"Oh yeah?" said Moody quietly, limping forward a few steps, the dull [i]clunk[/i] of his wooden leg echoing around the hall. "Well, I know your father of old, boy... You t