Matt Lewis On Missing the St. Mungo Scene and More as Neville Longbottom

Lewis
July 01, 2009, 03:46 AM

Actor Matt Lewis is the subject of the latest article from the LA Time Hero Complex blog series counting down until the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. In this new interview, Matt speaks about his role as the beloved Neville Longbottom, in particular regarding a scene that had fans lamenting when it was cut from Order of the Phoenix, that being the emotional visit with Neville and his parents at St. Mungo. Quotage:

JP: Back to acting then ... Was there anything you didn't get to do as Neville?

ML: There was some stuff that we got to do that was cut out, which is always a shame.  Remember in the "Order of the Phoenix," the big battle at the end in the Ministry of Magic?  We shot a lot that wasn't included in the film. The room with the brains in it I was kind of looking forward to seeing ... The one scene in particular that I really wanted to do as an actor was the St. Mungo's Hospital scene where we see Neville's parents for the first time.  It was just something that I thought was really important to the character cause it showed a really soft side to him.  His parents were there and they didn't recognize him and there was that lovely bit where they give him the sweet ... I remember when I was reading it in the book and it was tear-jerking and really, really endearing.  I just thought in that one scene it really showed what Neville was all about.  How he's got all this heart, and even though the doctors are saying that they don't know who you are, he still believes in them.  And I thought 'That's Neville.'  That heart, that courage, that belief showed what Neville Longbottom was all about.  And as an actor, it's a shame that we didn't get to do that.  I've never really had to do anything on that level emotionally, so that would've been a great challenge.

Matt also looks forward to Deathly Hallows, as well as the soon-to-be-released Half-Blood Prince.

JP: You're filming or about to film 'Deathly Hallows,' and Stuart Craig said the films have always been dark, but how do you feel about the films' increasing darkness?

ML: There has been an element of darkness all the way through.  You have this evil element in Voldemort, a sort of ultimate evil all the way through.  But the previous films have always had a sort of happy ending and they all develop friendship and love, and it started to get -- towards 5 and now 6 -- where the happy endings were not so easy.  And especially here in the "Half-Blood Prince," it's not a 'nice' story.  It's very dramatic, very dark, and it's really got this sense of foreboding throughout the film that just keeps getting worse because Voldemort's getting away with it every year.  Harry's not saving the day anymore.  In that respect, it's definitely getting darker.

I will say one thing about "Half-Blood Prince," though.  Though it is much more sinister, there's a lovely balance this year with the comedy as well that makes it more relatable.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lewis News

___thumb

It is a shame they cut out so many good scenes. So if the movie gets too long? the longer the better!

Posted by Jillian {WBM} on July 01, 2009, 08:59 AM report to moderator

Don’t worry Matt your time of glory will come at end of DH (Nagini) as long as they keep it in!!

Posted by phantomles on July 01, 2009, 09:49 AM report to moderator
Fj_sbokbillde_thumb

I hope they will add in all those out takes some time in the future. Make some special edition blue-rays or something. :) Lovely interview! I adore Matt. :)

Posted by Kissa on July 01, 2009, 10:12 AM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

WB probably knows exactly what they’re doing by with holding the outtakes. Rest assured, Potter fans, there will be a HUGE box set of the DVD’s and all of the out takes we haven’t seen yet as a new marketing ploy after DH2 is released. And we’ll be right there, lining up with money in our hands, right? :)

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on July 01, 2009, 10:41 AM report to moderator

I hope they do release the outtakes when they release the final 7 film box set! Would love to see more MOM.

Sounds like they didn’t even film the St M scene, which is a shame, and I think one of the more important omissions from the series. Most I don’t mind about but that and the locket at Grimmauld Place scene were both pretty important.

Posted by anne1 on July 01, 2009, 11:37 AM report to moderator

What he says….it gives me the feeling that he KNOWS how neville is. He really seems into the books and seems to pay a lot of attention in what’s in the books.
I’d love to see all the outtakes, I wish they had put it into the OotP dvd!
so…yay for Matt!!

Posted by ele0206 -ROAR- on July 01, 2009, 11:45 AM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

there was a brain room! man wish I could’ve seen it..

matt is right! that’s st mungo’s scene would’ve been epic! I would’ve loved to see him do it..for matt haha

Posted by Mary11_hplvr*WBM* on July 01, 2009, 12:24 PM report to moderator
Normal_hp_actors_thumb

I love Matt Lewis.

Posted by CandyCane2304 on July 01, 2009, 12:49 PM report to moderator
New_version_copy_thumb

I hope they release it sometime.

Posted by chazlaz on July 01, 2009, 01:12 PM report to moderator
Avatarhghbp_thumb

“there was a brain room! man wish I could’ve seen it”

You will, when David Yates gets to release his original three hour cut of OOTP on the extended edition in a few years time.

Posted by mouse68 on July 01, 2009, 01:12 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

I love Matthew Lewis. And he is so Handsome! I really agree with him about that scene in OOTP when Neville’s mom gives him the candy wrapper. It’s a really touching, character-defining moment and it sucks that it didn’t make it into the film. But I really hope he keeps acting I would LOVE to see him in other things. I can’t wait to see him in the Deathly Hallows movie when he cuts off the head of the snake! HBP comes out in 13 DAYS!!!

Posted by cghambright on July 01, 2009, 01:21 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

I always missed the Brain Room and the Flagrante curse with the spinning rooms. St. Mungo’s would have been a nice show of Neville’s softer feelings, like Matt said.

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on July 01, 2009, 01:25 PM report to moderator

“I think if Steve Kloves had written the script then that scene definitely would’ve made it in the movie.”

I don’t think so, because that was just one part of the entire St. Mungo’s sequence. I have a feeling he would have included St. Mungo’s in his first draft — this is based on his comments regarding HBP and the first draft having every memory — but I also have a feeling that would have been cut during the following drafts. In a book you can have several plot lines or sequences that diverge from the main plot. Film adaptations, on other hand, often seem to focus on one main plot and you cut what diverges from that plot — or find some shorthand way of dealing with it. The main goal of being at St. Mungo’s was Arthur healing after the attack, which they were able to cover with the “Daddy’s back” moment at Grimmauld Place. So regardless of who wrote the screenplay, I’d presume the entire St. Mungo’s sequence would have been cut and would have been cut rather early in the process.

Posted by zoltan42 on July 01, 2009, 01:49 PM report to moderator

Nah, I think it and the entire St. Mungo’s sequence would have been cut no matter who wrote the screenplay. From Kloves comments on adapting HBP his first drafts seem to try to include everything (e.g., his first draft included every memory). However, I also thing St. Mungo’s would have been cut very quickly. When adapting a book, the task often is sifting through the entire book, coming up with one main plot line, and cutting (or come up with a shorthand way of dealing with) anything that doesn’t apply to the main plot or at least doesn’t diverge too much from it. Harry and what happens to him has been the main focus of the movies. The main point of going there was Arthur’s attack. They were able to cover that with the scene of him coming home from St. Mungo’s. Neville’s parents were secondary, and were covered with his talk with Harry,. (The fact they could use sets that were used elsewhere in the movie probably didn’t hurt, either, rather than building new sets for St’ Mungo’s.) From that POV, the entire sequence could have been easily cut, and, as I said, I assume was cut rather early in development.

Posted by zoltan42 on July 01, 2009, 02:13 PM report to moderator
P1010630_thumb

I’ll second others comments – I want an extended version that has all the delted scenes and all the bloopers and out takes – don’t care if it’s 10 DVD’s – I’ll buy it!!!

Posted by Hagrid 713 (ROAR) on July 01, 2009, 02:30 PM report to moderator

"Not a wizard, eh? Never made things happen when you was scared or angry?"...[br]Harry looked back at Hagrid, smiling, and saw that Hagrid was positively beaming at him.[br]"See?" said Hagrid. "Harry Potter, not a wizard -- you wait, you'll be right famou

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014