WB Set to Cross One Billion Mark as Half-Blood Prince Opens with 3,000 Midnight Showings

HBP Film
July 14, 2009, 10:59 PM

The exceptional popularity and box office draw of the Harry Potter films is never more evident tonight than in a new article from Screen Daily which states that "Warner Bros is on the cusp of crossing the $1billion domestic milestone as it launches Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince around the globe."  The piece continues to say that Half-Blood Prince "was set to open in approximately 3,000 midnight screenings across North America on Wednesday. By the end of the weekend it will have launched in roughly 4,300 theatres. The film is expected to dominate the box office for several weeks and conservative estimates have forecast a five-day weekend in the $140m region."

Even more eye opening is the following:

"To date every episode in the highly profitable series has taken more than $249.5m domestically, with Sorcerer’s Stone setting the high-water mark of $317.6m by the end of its run in February 2002.

Overseas, each film in the franchise has consistently scored more than $546m and a soaring international run would appear to be on the cards yet again as Warner Bros Pictures International aims to join its domestic counterpart in the $1bn club. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix set the overseas record of $646.2m two years ago.

The film debuts in the UK, Japan, Australia, France, South Korea, Spain, Italy and Brazil on Wednesday as a prelude to the company’s biggest day-and-date conventional and IMAX release yet. By the end of the first weekend it will have opened in more than 14,000 screens in 54 markets including all the majors, accounting for roughly 85% of total markets."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Weasleys-da_thumb

I will definitely be doing my part to help WB reach these extremely amazing goals!!!

Posted by fngw417 on July 14, 2009, 11:06 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I dont know when Im going but I know Im not going tomorrow because of the crowd.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 14, 2009, 11:11 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

lol wow. i know i helped WB

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on July 14, 2009, 11:16 PM report to moderator
I173045398_13083_2_thumb

me too i am going my thearter decied to do a midnight showing just today YAY lol

Posted by Ravenclaw_Girl(WBM) on July 14, 2009, 11:38 PM report to moderator

Will definitely be going sometime soom!

Posted by JB21285 on July 14, 2009, 11:39 PM report to moderator
Dumbledore1_thumb

they’ll definitely make money off me. going on saturday.

Posted by Empressa on July 14, 2009, 11:46 PM report to moderator
Budgie_thumb
12005 Points

I am going with a family of atl least 6 and maybe all eight Saturday.

Posted by budgie on July 14, 2009, 11:48 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I saw it… It’s ok if you don’t care anything about the actual story…

Posted by Won_Two on July 14, 2009, 11:56 PM report to moderator
Luna-lovegood_304x357_thumb

Whoaa! Thats amazing! :)

Posted by Potterfan111 on July 15, 2009, 12:44 AM report to moderator

Thats fantastic, I cant wait to find out what it does actually end up doing!! It’s a lot more hyped at the moment than I remember the last movies being, then again OoTP was two years ago. But I went to the Imax midnight release in Sydney, it was completely sold out!

Posted by Bella ~ROAR~ on July 15, 2009, 12:58 AM report to moderator

Well they spent a mini fortune on the film, and will be spending a fortune on DH so I’m looking to see exactly how much it makes at box office. It matters much more now because DVD sales have fallen so much and television advertising is trending way down, so the film will make most of its money at the theatres.

Posted by ender650 on July 15, 2009, 01:22 AM report to moderator
Ca67gdqr_thumb

Ha, and I am going to be one of the millions and millions of people to have helped the WB. Odd sense of belonging washing over me…

Posted by SirEdwardsGuardian [WBM!] on July 15, 2009, 01:29 AM report to moderator
Dsc01855_thumb

Well everyone went mad in Sydney, heaps of cinemas are completely booked out for the opening day – it was packed out!

Posted by jessh324 on July 15, 2009, 02:15 AM report to moderator
Me_chris_snap_thumb

Im glad I can help WB in the midst of a recession. When it comes to HP, nothing changes.

Posted by Vineeth Thomas on July 15, 2009, 02:26 AM report to moderator
Img_e015_thumb

I will definitely be going at least twice this week! LOL

Posted by laura399 {WBM} on July 15, 2009, 02:34 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"I shouted at you before you left!" Mrs. Weasley said, starting to sob. "It's all I've been thinking about! What if You-Know-Who had got you, and the last thing I ever said to you was that you didn't get enough O.W.L.s? Oh Fred... George..."