Dan Radcliffe Talks Return of Gary Oldman and More for Deathly Hallows

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 02:02 PM

In a new interview with MTV, actor Dan Radcliffe discusses filming the scene in the forest for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Noting he is nervous about filming that long walk in the forest, Dan tells MTV "The good thing is — it suddenly occurred to me the other day — Gary Oldman will be in there for that scene," the young actor said. "He's always somebody who — just from being around, I don't know whether it is from some kind of quite pure and childish desire to want to impress him or out of the fact that he just gets something out of me — having him around for some reason on the fifth film was such an amazing thing for me as an actor, and hopefully he'll have that effect again."

Director David Yates and Dan also speak on the epilogue, and having the main Trio appear in that scene.

"There's something extraordinary about the audience's knowledge of them when they were this high and then seeing them where they are 38," he said. "There's something really beautiful about that circle, so it has to be them. I think if after seven or eight movies, we recast them in that last scene — we all thought, 'No way, we can't do that.' " Radcliffe admitted that he always feared the epilogue: "This is the last image people are going to have of the films, and I'd rather they did it with other actors than did it with us and it looked bad." But after seeing how realistically visual effects modified an actor's age in "Benjamin Button," he's become a convert. "I might get to see what I look like if I was 5-foot-8, which will be a thrill for me!" he laughed."

Related: You can see two videos on this subject, with new comments from Tom Felton and Bonnie Wright on the prospect of appearing in the Epilogue as well as a hilarious one from Dan on the actual names of the two DH films.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

I think that scene is going to be amazing, I can’t wait!

Posted by fairylights04 on July 16, 2009, 02:06 PM report to moderator

same here.

I’m very excited to see what they look like. I’ll probably cry. Though I think JK Rowling needs to be in the scene somehow..

Posted by Mione134 on July 16, 2009, 02:11 PM report to moderator
Pansy_thumb

OH I love Gary- can’t wait for his return!

Posted by pansy parkinson on July 16, 2009, 02:12 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

hey i’d almost forgotten about that scene too. im glad he’s making a final comeback…i think they all are. the last one. :(

Posted by chocolaterabbits on July 16, 2009, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Img_7524_thumb

Yay for Gary Oldman!! He’s always done a great job with Sirius, although I really wish the movies had spent more time on his character. I’ll be glad to see him back on screen. And I’m really looking forward to the epilogue. I have tremendous hope that they’ll do it really well.

Posted by RavenclawDancer on July 16, 2009, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Sb_thumb
2017 Points

I agree, I think after all the hard work she did, JKR should at least walk past the camera. That would be great :D

Posted by Looie [ROAR!] on July 16, 2009, 02:15 PM report to moderator
Picture2_thumb

i am so happy he will be in the movie i mean i thing gary oldman is one of the best actors out there he is just amazing, i cannot wait for this scene! i actually thought they would just have james and lily but its so much better with james lily sirius and remus (they’d better put remus :/)

Posted by loonymoonyy on July 16, 2009, 02:18 PM report to moderator
Thistletopiary_thumb

Seems that nearly ALL of the featured stars from previous movies will be returning for DH, which is awesome. Emma Thompson is an exception, I believe, but Imelda Staunton will be back, and Gary Oldman and John Hurt, too… it will be a treat to see them all. Thanks go out to each of them; some of these reprises will be small parts indeed and might be considered beneath them if it were anything but the Potter franchise. Makes me pleased!

Posted by bettb [ITC!] on July 16, 2009, 02:28 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lnohl1j5ya1qenanjo1_500_thumb

Gary Oldman is one of my fav.

Posted by The Nerd on July 16, 2009, 02:48 PM report to moderator
Iconator_ff20bdd615cdbf54d1de3fc9cdfe44ed_thumb

I thought HBP was really good! I can’t wait to see what they do with DH. It better be EPIC!

Posted by Harry89 !ROAR! on July 16, 2009, 02:51 PM report to moderator
Mcgonagalldh_thumb

Can the actors PLEASE stop giving away major plot points to people who haven’t read the books???AAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Posted by iamminerva on July 16, 2009, 03:00 PM report to moderator
Gatinho_thumb

OMG Dan….. We love you but, please get over your height!…. :P You are a tinny wonderful thing, many ladies love short guys and you have the advantage of great hair and being fit so you are not going to become Seinfeld’s best friend! ehehhehe just let it go! lol

Posted by Carol Carvalho on July 16, 2009, 03:02 PM report to moderator
1393057603281_thumb
22029 Points

Wow! Really cool!!! ILD! Gary Oldman is a really good actor!

Twitter_version_thumb

Excellent

I like the idea of JKR bein in the last film

Posted by sianletley on July 16, 2009, 03:04 PM report to moderator
Th_goficons-mmarauder-38_thumb

Yay for Gary Oldman’s return. I was kinda worried there! Crisis averted.

Posted by mrh216 on July 16, 2009, 03:08 PM report to moderator

...Lockhart's disgusting cheeriness, his hints that he had always thought Hagrid was no good, his confidence that the whole business was now at an end, irritated Harry so much that he yearned to throw [i]Gadding with Ghouls[/i] right in Lockhart's stupid

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014