Followup: Nicholas Hooper Confirms He Will Not Score Deathly Hallows

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 01:41 PM

Several days ago we first told you Harry Potter producer David Heyman publicly stated the rumors were true and they were in talks with legendary composer John Williams about returning to score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Quotage: "We have talked to John Williams and a lot of it will depend on his schedule for [Harry Potter] seven part two. If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes." Today, Film Score Monthly let us know they have an interview with Nicholas Hooper on his decision to step down from the Harry Potter films and his hope that indeed John Williams may return to the post. Nicholas Hooper, who scored back to back Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince, tells the magazine the work was affecting his family life, saying "I actually decided I wouldn’t [return]. It impinged on my life and my family too much to do it again. We managed to cope with two of them, and I just felt it was time to hand it on..." The full interview with Nicholas Hooper can be found in the new issue of the magazine.

Thanks so much Tim!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Dsc08588_thumb

Oooh, fingers crossed! That would be amazing if John Williams was back! Goodness, the PoA soundtrack was almost definitely the best soundtrack HP has ever had…..I can just imagine how amazing DH would be if John Williams did the score :x crosses fingers

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 16, 2009, 04:06 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

It’s completely understandable for Hooper not to return. I mean it’s got to be very tiring working on two huge movies back to back. But I hope that we get Williams back if we can’t have Hooper. But it would suck if we got someone new entirely. I wonder if they would bring Patrick Doyle back if it didn’t work out with Hooper and Williams?

Posted by cghambright on July 16, 2009, 04:19 PM report to moderator

I hope the schedules work out. I love John Williams’ work. Regarding Hooper’s statement, I didn’t realize that doing the music for a movie would be so all-consuming.

Posted by danaskeeter *ROAR!* on July 16, 2009, 04:20 PM report to moderator

Can I just say that as I wandered out of the theater yesterday, I turned to my bf and said, “You know, I genuinely enjoyed some of Hooper’s pieces from the last two movies, but I would really love it if we had one last taste of Williams. Just to round things out. I miss some of those phrases. Everything seems a bit empty without his music…”

HAH.

(Not that I don’t like Hooper, I just absolutely love Williams’ themes, esp. his work on Prisoner of Azkaban – so much contrast and color.)

Posted by potionmistress on July 16, 2009, 04:22 PM report to moderator
N1582655832_2952_thumb

I wouldn’t mind having Patrick Doyle back. I rather liked GoF’s score.

As for HBP… I was surprised when they used the Fireworks track from OOTP for the Wizarding Wheezes scene, ‘cause isn’t there a swing-type track on the HBP CD that was for WWW? So where was it in the movie?

Posted by tina_als_girl on July 16, 2009, 04:25 PM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

Good. I actually think John Williams is better than Hooper, even though I also think he is great.

Posted by minishiva on July 16, 2009, 05:02 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Knew this was coming…

Posted by Won_Two on July 16, 2009, 05:13 PM report to moderator
282337_f260_thumb

Hey it could be like a cross between Star Wars and Schindler’s list! Seriously.

Posted by PensievePlotter on July 16, 2009, 05:16 PM report to moderator

This makes me so sad. John Williams is boring, and whoever decided to put those two tracks in instead of the other brilliant stuff Hooper wrote isn’t all that intelligent. Of all the soundtracks I own, I listen to the first two movies the least… and the third is somewhat better, but still can’t beat things like “Of Love and War” and “Flight of the Order of the Phoenix.” It just… I’m so sad. :(

Posted by Libby on July 16, 2009, 05:20 PM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

I guess we will all have to wait and see if John Williams can do it. Sorry about Nicholas Hooper but his family does come first. Whoever does it, I do hope that the soundtrack will be awesome and go with the scenes like it should.

Posted by beewell on July 16, 2009, 05:28 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I hope they do get John Williams back. Hes one of the best.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 16, 2009, 05:53 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_002_thumb

How totally wonderful that Williams might return for Deathly Hallows!!! I liked Hooper mostly, but Williams’ music has a dark majesty that should underscore The Prince’s Tale, and Harry’s walk to meet Voldemort, Harry’s death, and the final battle in the Great Hall perfectly! It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

Posted by Agrippa1 on July 16, 2009, 05:54 PM report to moderator
Img_44501_thumb

i really like Hooper, but i think i would prefer it if John Williams comes back for DH! that’d be so cool!

Posted by mai {beatnik owl} on July 16, 2009, 05:55 PM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

You actually LIKE “Of Love and War”? Ick…

Posted by starlesswinter on July 16, 2009, 06:19 PM report to moderator
Icondude_thumb

The only credit I can give Hooper is for finally using a piano.

Posted by starlesswinter on July 16, 2009, 06:20 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Harry... maybe Moody thinks [i]Snape[/i] put your name in the Goblet of Fire!"[br]"Oh Ron," said Hermione, shaking her head sceptically, "we thought Snape was trying to kill Harry before, and it turned out he was saving Harry's life, remember?"