Followup: Nicholas Hooper Confirms He Will Not Score Deathly Hallows

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 01:41 PM

Several days ago we first told you Harry Potter producer David Heyman publicly stated the rumors were true and they were in talks with legendary composer John Williams about returning to score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Quotage: "We have talked to John Williams and a lot of it will depend on his schedule for [Harry Potter] seven part two. If we can make work , and that's a big if, for his schedule and ours then yes." Today, Film Score Monthly let us know they have an interview with Nicholas Hooper on his decision to step down from the Harry Potter films and his hope that indeed John Williams may return to the post. Nicholas Hooper, who scored back to back Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince, tells the magazine the work was affecting his family life, saying "I actually decided I wouldn’t [return]. It impinged on my life and my family too much to do it again. We managed to cope with two of them, and I just felt it was time to hand it on..." The full interview with Nicholas Hooper can be found in the new issue of the magazine.

Thanks so much Tim!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

I love John Williams, he does really good stuff, especially the PoA soundtrack. But the HP theme song, too, of course.

Posted by Wingardium Leviosa ❄WBM❄ on July 16, 2009, 07:01 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Even though a lot of people didn’t like Hooper’s style in OoTP and HBP, I must say that I like it! He brought a lot of tension when needed in certain scenes, along with some whimsical playing around parts. I love both soundtracks he did! I do like John Williams, but a lot of his music all sounds the same…. if you listen closely you can hear themes from his other movies interwined together, and to me, that’s not much originality.

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 16, 2009, 07:17 PM report to moderator
N505104779_1292209_2919784_thumb

I really liked both of them, along with the composer of Goblet of Fire’s music. I really kinda wished it would’ve been a collaborative thing, like all three or maybe just two of them working together on the music, that way it would’ve been like both composer’s work and it would’ve been that much better.
Oh, well, wishful thinking.

Posted by Jason Devastation on July 16, 2009, 07:25 PM report to moderator
Picture_2_thumb

I dare anyone to listen to the scores of Star Wars and Memoirs of a Geisha and tell me how similar they are. John Williams is classically trained and has the chops to do lots of different styles. Sure the action films have similar feels, but each theme that he does perfectly encompasses the atmosphere of the film.

Sorry I’m just a music composition student who’s listened to a lot of his work and I’m kind of a geek about it. :P

Posted by Analise on July 16, 2009, 08:36 PM report to moderator
Lilyjames_thumb

i’m sad that hooper’s not returning for 7, but I hope that Williams will come back.

Posted by thewandofdestiny {WBM} on July 16, 2009, 11:01 PM report to moderator
China-aboutuk-300x400-sword_thumb

Darn. I just hope John Williams doesn’t come back for it.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a wonderful composer, and I love his stuff. I just don’t think he does HP very well.

Get Joel Goldsmith instead! He has his father’s gift!

Posted by Nimbus-X >---ROAR---> on July 16, 2009, 11:35 PM report to moderator
N1582655832_2952_thumb

I love Williams’ work for the original Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, etc. But every time I listen to his score for HP, I keep seeing the Star Wars prequels in my head, especially Phantom Menace.

HOWEVER… I really like(d) the PoA score. But look what it was like — he actually branched out and did some new styles of music beyond just the predictable, Gustav Holst-inspired stuff. If he incorporates stuff from Doyle and Hooper as well as maintaining the variety of his PoA score, I would be okay with John Williams returning.

Posted by tina_als_girl on July 17, 2009, 12:25 AM report to moderator
Phelpstwins_thumb

I’m disappointed! I thought Hooper’s sound was fresher and younger (and better suited the franchise).

Posted by deadtree ♥WBM♥ on July 17, 2009, 02:39 AM report to moderator
Voorpotter_thumb

Hooper’s music worked fine in the films, so he has done his job. Only the music on its own… well, it’s mostly ****.
Patrick Doyle should do 7 and John Williams 8 – so I can add another cd to the 100+ Williams soundtracks on my shelf!

Posted by Joost on July 17, 2009, 03:35 AM report to moderator
Ronhermione_thumb

awww!! he was good!!

Bookandcoffee_thumb

GOOD! He was awful with Order of the Phoenix. I haven’t heard what he did with HBP. I want John Williams back. He’s a musical genius, has amazing talent and did a fantastic job with POA hitting the dark mood perfectly. I know he’d be able to do the same with DH. He was great with the first two, as well, but Columbus vision of HP held him back. Bring back Williams WB!

Posted by Bookwormjules on July 17, 2009, 10:30 AM report to moderator
268141_10150258426464313_156794164312_6914503_4625251_n_thumb

I hope John Williams will return for the last one. I loved the score of all the movies so far but I prefer John Williams’s music.

Posted by Hermione_Granger1987 on July 17, 2009, 10:39 AM report to moderator
Avatar_hp_thumb

I really hope Jonh Williams returns. I personally think he was the best composer for all the HP movies.

Bb620ecb12c9468f9c2bae8e1750bb27_thumb

I liked williams

Posted by GTHunter [FTC!] on July 17, 2009, 01:41 PM report to moderator
Bb620ecb12c9468f9c2bae8e1750bb27_thumb

I liked williams

Posted by GTHunter [FTC!] on July 17, 2009, 01:41 PM report to moderator

[i]"Record numbers of stranded holidaymakers fill airports as the Spanish baggage-handlers' strike reaches its second week --"[/i][br]"Give 'em a lifelong siesta, I would," snarled Uncle Vernon over the end of the newsreader's sentence...