Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Takes in 58.4 Million Opening Day

HBP Film
July 16, 2009, 01:28 PM

There are new totals today marking the financial success of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Variety is reporting that Warner Bros has announced that HBP "grossed a magical $58.4 million from 4,275 theaters as it opened Wednesday at the domestic B.O., including a potent $22.2 million in midnight shows."

The piece also notes that HBP "was pacing well ahead of the $44 million earned by "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" on its opening Wednesday exactly two years ago. "Order of the Phoenix" posted a five-day opening gross of $139.7 million...Forecasts for the five-day opening vary. Some are predicting "Half-Blood Prince" would post a five-day domestic opening of $125 million to $150 million, while others put it higher."

On the international front, Variety points out that Half-Blood Prince "is opening day-and-date in every major overeas territory. "Harry Potter" films have been even more successful overseas, and no one's willing to handicap how high "Half-Blood Price" will go in foreign realms. "Order of the Phoenix" grossed $646.2 million internationally and $292 million domestically. Early estimates showed "Half-Blood Prince" grossing north of $3.2 million in Australia, the third best opening day gross ever after the last two "The Lord of the Rings" pics." TLC reader Verity owled to point out this additional article from the Australian opening that they have the number as 4.37 Million and the figure "is also the highest Wednesday result of all time in Australia, and the highest opening day figure on a non-public holida

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

Hey, why so happy about WB making all that dough? I think with all the money spent and made, they could and should have ended up with a better movie that this! I am very disapointed by it. A lot of important scenes are left out: the DA fighting the DE, a lot of the “pensieve” scenes, to mention only a few… and at the same time they invent stuff to the storyline, mix things up (Luna saving Harry on the train…) Yes ist was fun and the crowd I went with (60something fans/friends all dressed up and having a great time), but still I wish they would have done better… :( It’s kinda sad!

Posted by Callisto Lamia on July 16, 2009, 03:35 PM report to moderator
Img_0052__risoluzione_del_desktop_

the midnight crowd i went with was fantastic some were dressed up thats the first i have ever went to a mid night showing of :) people laughed at everything i thought was funny and some even laughed at stuff i didnt :) when they were in the green house HArry SIR my friends about died!! it was great i loved it!

Posted by ROAR! lilyjames on July 16, 2009, 03:46 PM report to moderator
Dsc08588_thumb

Wow!

Amazing! Go HBP :D

Posted by Jade Danielle (WBM) on July 16, 2009, 04:04 PM report to moderator

Looking good, there really isnt anything being released anytime soon that will severely compete against HP so it should do very well. I cant wait to see the international numbers because they’re always very good for HP.

Posted by ender650 on July 16, 2009, 04:24 PM report to moderator

Amazing amount of money! I’m not surprised.

Posted by danaskeeter *ROAR!* on July 16, 2009, 04:29 PM report to moderator
Iconator_e5413e9850e2294d5bfb655a9ead163b_thumb

For it being a midnight showing when i saw it the audiance was lame. There was no clapping. I remember last year for OOTP people were clapping and booing and everything. But I did hear sobs when DD died. I admit I cried too. I am going to see it again later today or tomorrow. Wonderful movie…for the most part.

Posted by PadfootLover4ever on July 16, 2009, 04:38 PM report to moderator
Weasleys-da_thumb

I am part of that and will be adding more when it comes out in IMAX in my area!

Posted by fngw417 on July 16, 2009, 04:41 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Am I alone in feeling so disappointed and let down by this adaptation. Hey it’s called the Half Blood Prince. No explanation and hardly any Snape. What happened to the polyjuice Harry Potters, Hedwig lives.. no Bill Weasly/Fleur.. why was Tonks hair normal colour and she appeared to be married or in a relationship with Lupin already. Why that scene with the Weasley home being burnt down, this did not happen… I can go on and on. After waiting all this time I saw a film that bore hardly any resemblance to the novel with lots of bits missing, characters missing and unnecessary bits of film put in. A very disappointing let down…

Posted by Aurelia09 on July 16, 2009, 04:50 PM report to moderator
Wallpaper_ada_wong_02_thumb

This is the best movie so far next to Prisioner of Azkaban. It deserves all the hype.

Posted by minishiva on July 16, 2009, 05:05 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

No surprises here…

Posted by Won_Two on July 16, 2009, 05:09 PM report to moderator
Kit_thumb

I’m glad it’s such a big success, but I wonder how they’re going to explain what the rest of the horcruxes are supposed to be. I don’t believe they mentioned at all the objects Dumbledore suspected they were so that Harry has some idea of what he is looking for. I suppose they’re saving that for the next installment. :/

Posted by Fereverto on July 16, 2009, 05:22 PM report to moderator
Closeupoftriohbp_thumb

Went yesterday afternoon and the audience was great! Had lots of laughs and a few jumps during the movie. Sure is a lot of money and I am sure that they will make more! Since it was pushed back, fans can’t wait to see it and will do anything to go. Thank goodness for David Yates who made the film great. Now I can’t wait to see it again and buy the DVD.

Posted by beewell on July 16, 2009, 05:24 PM report to moderator
Resize2_thumb

Well done HP and WB, good film.

Posted by Aurora_7 on July 16, 2009, 05:26 PM report to moderator
Bearandcub2_thumb

omg. are you people serious. they totally screwed up the movie. i was very disapointed in the film and with jk for letting this fiasco of a movie to be released.

Posted by coloradowolfpack on July 16, 2009, 05:42 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

WOW thats alot of money. I went to see it earlier today. It was the best movie I ever saw.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 16, 2009, 05:50 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

The real Mad-Eye Moody was at the staff table now, his wooden leg and magical eye back in place. He was extremely twitchy, jumping every time someone spoke to him. Harry couldn't blame him; Moody's fear of attack was bound to have been increased by his te