Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Takes in 58.4 Million Opening Day

HBP Film
July 16, 2009, 01:28 PM

There are new totals today marking the financial success of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Variety is reporting that Warner Bros has announced that HBP "grossed a magical $58.4 million from 4,275 theaters as it opened Wednesday at the domestic B.O., including a potent $22.2 million in midnight shows."

The piece also notes that HBP "was pacing well ahead of the $44 million earned by "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" on its opening Wednesday exactly two years ago. "Order of the Phoenix" posted a five-day opening gross of $139.7 million...Forecasts for the five-day opening vary. Some are predicting "Half-Blood Prince" would post a five-day domestic opening of $125 million to $150 million, while others put it higher."

On the international front, Variety points out that Half-Blood Prince "is opening day-and-date in every major overeas territory. "Harry Potter" films have been even more successful overseas, and no one's willing to handicap how high "Half-Blood Price" will go in foreign realms. "Order of the Phoenix" grossed $646.2 million internationally and $292 million domestically. Early estimates showed "Half-Blood Prince" grossing north of $3.2 million in Australia, the third best opening day gross ever after the last two "The Lord of the Rings" pics." TLC reader Verity owled to point out this additional article from the Australian opening that they have the number as 4.37 Million and the figure "is also the highest Wednesday result of all time in Australia, and the highest opening day figure on a non-public holida

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HBP Film News

394omggggg--chibi_rei_thumb

I have now seen HBP three times in 36 hours and will be going back for more next week, I think. :) That said, I’m still not changing my favourite HP movie from Prisoner of Azkaban to HBP.

There are some very good moments in HBP — such as Ron’s Love Potion scene, especially his touchy-feely behaviour towards Professor Slughorn (LMAO) and Dumbledore’s ring of fire in The Cave — but there are also some rather cringe-worthy moments in it. WTF was that whole shoelace thing about, with Ginny kneeling to tie Harry’s shoelaces?

Posted by MischiefManaged on July 17, 2009, 12:39 PM report to moderator
Avpm_15_by_cuttlefishbella_thumb

All I’ve got to say here is wow.

Posted by Live Laugh Love Potter ♥ROAR♥ on July 17, 2009, 01:58 PM report to moderator

Well it may be a lot of money but it all get’s used in one way or another. Just think of the amount of people it enployes. ther is nothing like this ever in the movie industry. This is something new to them. It alows them to do other movies that do not produce enough to cover the cost to make, and ther are a lot of duds out there. They are looking for the next JK to write some interesting books.

Posted by HGROSS44 on July 17, 2009, 03:35 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince_1__thumb
I went and saw it and this is how I describe it: At the beginning of the movie it was like someone had just given me a great big balloon. A balloon so glorious and brilliant that I could’ve jumped in the air and screamed for joy! (I didn’t because there was a bunch of people trying to watch their movie). This balloon stayed giant and brilliant and I admired it for so long. It was as if this balloon was the only thing in the world that mattered or would ever matter. But then, towards the end, about at the end of the cave scene, someone put a little hole in my balloon! I began deflating slowly, almost unnoticeably at first until I looked at it and realized so much was missing form my glorious balloon. By the death scene of Dumbledore my balloon was starting to look disappointing, by the snape scene almost saddening, and by the end of the movie, depressing. On my way home all I had left was this deflated balloon. Sure, I had the memory of how great it had been, but imagine if I had got to taken it home completely glorious and inflated! Okay so this is a dramatization but the end really was disappointing for me. No Order of the Phoenix and death eater battle, no emotion in snape when he struck down Dumbledore, no Harry going crazy and storming through the castle to kill severus snape, no funeral, no honor to his dumbledore’s great memory. Don’t get me wrong I still loved the movie because I’m a crazy harry potter fan and could do no less, but people who hadn’t read the book would’ve been like: “what the heck is going on?!” If I hadn’t read the book I wouldn’t have known how important feeling all the events were. It wavered from the book a bit much, and the climax could’ve been shinier. Good movie, but alas, could’ve been better.
Posted by chanman on July 17, 2009, 06:30 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince_1__thumb

Oh yeah not enough hagrid

Posted by chanman on July 17, 2009, 06:31 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_half_blood_prince_1__thumb

and it seemed that some characters were pointless, especially if you haven’t read the book. Like the crazy werewolf guy who attacked bill and lupin and tonks didn’t do anything

Posted by chanman on July 17, 2009, 06:35 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

$_$

Posted by chocolaterabbits on July 18, 2009, 05:17 AM report to moderator
Danielemmarupert_thumb

yay harry potter ;) thats quite a chunk of change seeing as there were a few upsets in the movie

Posted by mynameisbrock on July 18, 2009, 02:09 PM report to moderator
Rupert_icon_thumb

WHOO HOO!! It beat Order of Phoenix at least! I’m hoping to buy the DVD for Hbp! I really hope 58.4 million will beat Twilight!

Posted by megan_702*ROAR* on July 18, 2009, 05:06 PM report to moderator
Rupert_icon_thumb

I meant to say “New Moon” instead of “Twilight”

Posted by megan_702*ROAR* on July 18, 2009, 05:07 PM report to moderator
Rupert_icon_thumb

wait no…i checked!! it did beat Twilight! HBP grossed 22 million for midnight showings and Twilight made 7 million….but unfortuantely it only got 58.4 million in the US so it’s the second highest Wednesday opening of all time…and fourth highest single-day gross of all time! but it has the highest for single day worldwide gross!! :D But I’m sure that the 7th movie will have to beat all those records!! haha!! :D

Posted by megan_702*ROAR* on July 18, 2009, 05:22 PM report to moderator
10312009016-002_thumb

For Dumbledore!

Posted by sakuranbo07 on July 19, 2009, 11:57 AM report to moderator

wow thats cool, shame that the film wasnt really up to standards, i was very dissapointed. plus WTF wit syaing the ring was his mums it was his grandads his mum had necklace! and the stupid setting the house on fire… god i could go on for hours about how wrong it all was!

Posted by cjdiddums on July 20, 2009, 09:13 AM report to moderator
Rupes_maggie_thumb

that’s so awesome and well deserved

Posted by hermyone*ROAR* on July 26, 2009, 07:03 PM report to moderator
Buddy_icon_3103_normal_normal_normal_normal_thumb

BRILLIANT!

Posted by LoveTomRiddle [ROAR] on January 26, 2010, 07:28 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Er -- how are the flobberworms?"[br]"Dead," said Hagrid gloomily. "Too much lettuce."[br]"Oh no!" said Ron, his lip twitching.