Nighy Talks Scrimgeour and The Will of Albus Dumbledore Scene (Updated)

DH Film
July 16, 2009, 06:33 PM

Actor Bill Nighy has given more details on his role as Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour in the upcoming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Scifiwire.com spoke with the actor who stated again he will be filming his role in the next few weeks, and also gave some more detail about one scene, which readers will recall happens in The Will of Albus Dumbledore chapter:

"Well, there's one where he comes and delivers Dumbledore's [Michael Gambon] legacy to the three children," Nighy replied, referring to Harry, Hermione (Emma Watson) and Ron (Rupert Grint, with whom Nighy worked on the upcoming action-comedy Wild Target). "He gives them all of the things that Dumbledore has left them, and that's when it's first indicated that he may not be around for much longer. So it's quite an affecting scene."

He also speaks again on the character, noting "Scrimgeour is a rather tragic figure, without giving too much away," Nighy said. "But there's no giving too much away, because everybody's read the books. So he's a kind of tragic figure. You have that element. And he knows what's coming. So that's a very moving thing to play. He's also very powerful, and he's had a very complicated progress to the top. And he has an interesting relationship with Harry [Daniel Radcliffe], because Harry views him initially with complete contempt, but then it's softened by subsequent events."
UPDATE: MTV now has a video interview online where he briefly says that yes he is playing Rufus Scrimgeour

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

GGGGREAT! good scene, bloody brilliant actor! first btw ;)

Posted by HarryRichardsPotter on July 16, 2009, 06:47 PM report to moderator

it’s so clear that this film will have the most information in it. Explaining the Deathly Hallows properly. The snitch! the deluminator! Beedle the bard! wow. CA-NOT WAIT!

Posted by HarryRichardsPotter on July 16, 2009, 06:48 PM report to moderator

i’ve only just seen the sixth film, and now i’m stupidly excited for the last two! God, help me get through this waiting. This film will be perfecto. Nothing can be missed out, they have no excuse! they have perfect liberty to film two, two hour movies. Where they can slip EVERYTHANG in it!

You hear me Yates and Kloves? EVERYTHANG!
and i’m just soooo over the moon that Hooper is gone gone GONE! williams will give the fantabulous mood it deserves with Hedwig’s theme galorrrrrrrrrrr

Posted by HarryRichardsPotter on July 16, 2009, 06:51 PM report to moderator

now i notice that i’ve taken up three (four including this one) comment spaces. So i apologise. I just think of new things to say. Make Nighy welsh aswell! it would be funny to have a welsh person in Potter :) theres isn’t any!

Posted by HarryRichardsPotter on July 16, 2009, 06:52 PM report to moderator
Upclose_of_me_thumb

Sounds cool! :)

Posted by Half-Blood Princess66[ROAR!] on July 16, 2009, 07:10 PM report to moderator

I’m looking forward to D.H. I reckon both films will be the best H.P. films since they’re staying much closer to the books

Posted by Pallargast on July 16, 2009, 07:12 PM report to moderator
Tiva_thumb

Only a year and like 5 months till part one! Wonder how long till we get a new countdown!

Posted by Ramona on July 16, 2009, 07:32 PM report to moderator
Dhonesheet_thumb

Billy Nighy is brilliant!! I can’t wait to see him in Deathly Hallows. I wonder if they put him in more scenes because it sounds like they might’ve added something?

Posted by cghambright on July 16, 2009, 07:41 PM report to moderator
Capture10_thumb

I cant wait to see DH. I hope he plays Scrimgeour well.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on July 16, 2009, 07:43 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_pic_thumb

It sounds like he’s going to really do tha t role justice. I think that he’s a wonderful actor and can’t wait to see him in DH.

Posted by monicahp2009(WBM) on July 16, 2009, 07:50 PM report to moderator
Buckbeak_thumb

I like his attitude about not giving too much away.

Posted by Girlraven1 on July 16, 2009, 07:57 PM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

Nighy is going to be really good. I always thought he’d make a great scrimgeour

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on July 16, 2009, 08:37 PM report to moderator
Billy_mack_by_havenli_thumb

I have been a fan of both HP and Bill Nighy for quite a while, and to see two of my favourite things together is almost too much excitement!

Posted by BillyMack1965 on July 16, 2009, 08:40 PM report to moderator
Picture_6_thumb

Exciting! I was sad about the lack of Scrimgeour in Half Blood Prince (and, especially, Dumbledore’s man through and through), but I’m happy he’ll be in Deathly Hallows. Can’t wait – only 490 days, right?

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on July 16, 2009, 08:59 PM report to moderator
Harry_snl_thumb

I like Nighy, and I’m excited about his participation in DH!!!

"You forget that dog, an' you forget what it's guardin', that's between Professor Dumbledore an' Nicolas Flamel --"[br]"Aha!" said Harry, "so there's someone called Nicolas Flamel involved, is there?"[br]Hagrid looked furious with himself.